Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My 1970 American LaFrance 900 Series Pumper. 1000GPM Pump, 500 Gal. Tank, Detroit 671 Diesel, 5-speed manual, air brakes. 38,000 miles. Runs like a top. Originally from Newington, CT. By the way if there are any fire buffs on here, would be greatly appreciated if you know any info on this truck or live near Newington, CT, give me a shout.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I collect them, I'm also a volunteer fireman, my father and brother both own antique fire trucks as well, a 1947 Seagrave open cab pumper, and a 1968 Mack CF-600 pumper, I also have a 1952 GMC American Fire Apparatus pumper,It is a work in progress, but no rust or rot on entire truck! Just surface as you can see, as well as a 1964 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham 4 Door Hardtop. Photo of 1952 GMC, and 1964 Pontiac at bottom of page. I bought the 1970 LaFrance when I stopped by a fire department North of me in Oklahoma, and was taking pictures of their rigs and they said this one was for sale. Had inch of dust on it, but looked great. They had upgraded their engine's in the last couple of years and put this one in reserve. He said it hadn't been started in 8 months the batteries were dead and he said we could take the batteries off the engine next to it and run it. Kid you not , switched batteries, and he just practically waived his hand over the starter button and it started! Detroit runs awesome doesn't smoke or use any oil, had to pull another truck out of bay to test drive truck, and it was an 80's GMC tanker with a Detroit 8V92 diesel and he smoked out the entire station! They said they tried to sell it to some local fire dept's but no one wanted a 5-speed truck, only autos. So they made room between two bays because they didn't want the truck degrading any sitting outside, because of the awesome shape it is in. Lets just say I STOLE the truck and it was at their asking price I didn't haggle. It has 6 new Michelin Radials and I paid less for the whole truck the what the tires are worth new. Believe it or not collecting firetrucks is the same as having an old car, just takes more space to store, LOL!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fire Trucks are actually easy to come by. Most are taken very well care of, because they cost so much the departments that buy them keep them in excellent shape, especially volunteer departments. Now you will find some that are in horrible shape, they are usually from a private owner that has a business such as a comercial entity for thier use for the business or for advertising. They are not the people to buy from. I bought mine from a volunteer department 30 miles North of town. Bought it 15 years ago, and have since upgraded their apparatus fleet substantally, and because it was in good shape kept it inside so it didn't deteriorate any more. Price wise if you can find a deal like I did thats the best way to do it. My truck brand is quite common and popular, therefore parts are readily available, and easy to come by. Some more rare trucks are considerably more involved money wise and parts are harder to find. But most trucks such as mine are straight forward to work on. Detroit Diesel and manual tranny and LaFrance pump are easy to service and repair, just bigger tools are needed. Keep the questions coming.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Very cool...Congrats on the new toy...:)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Beautiful Fire engine, but I must say the Bonne is just a work of art there..... very well done man..

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
i wish i knew more. all i know is i learned to drive a stick on a 70 lafrance...my first fire dept had one and i loved her. needed good TLC but got the job done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well considering a new set of Michelins like that are on it and 100% tread are around $2500-$3000 I payed considerably less than that, and everything works, I do have some cancer rust in a few places, but nothing even close to being severe, I'll take care of that when I repaint the truck, it is not its original color, it was originally a maroonish color, American LaFrance red.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts