Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to enter an IDPA somewhere around my neck of the woods. I was curious to what I might need. What kind of holster, IWB and/or OWB holster, jacket/vest, belt, how many mags etc? Please help a noob out for what to have to be prepared.

Thanks

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm looking to enter an IDPA somewhere around my neck of the woods. I was curious to what I might need. What kind of holster, IWB and/or OWB holster, jacket/vest, belt, how many mags etc? Please help a noob out for what to have to be prepared.

Thanks
I'm pretty new to IDPA myself, having shot only two matches, but I'll give it a shot. Perhaps some more experienced IDPAers can chime in with additional info or to correct anything I posted in error.

You need a good gunbelt and a good holster. Most shooters use some kind of OWB holster, although I do see some IWB. I see a lot of Kydex. I use a CBST because that is what I use for everyday carry. You will need at least 2 mags and mag holders. Many, if not most shooters have three mags and I will probably get a third mag myself soon, but you can get by with two. Bring a minimum of 100 rounds. 200 is better. Don't forget your eye and ear protection. A vest can be useful but I would wait on buying one.

My local outdoors club has a weekly IDPA practice shoot that is generally a little more relaxed than the monthly matches. I have learned a lot at these practice shoots and I highly recommend you take advantage of them if they are available at your club.

One other thing: I was a little nervous about my first shoot, especially because I'm an inexperienced shooter and I did not know anyone at the shoot. I was pleasantly suprised at how friendly and helpful everyone was. Hope you have the same experience.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The great thing about IDPA, you don't need much. Gun, holster, (3) mags min, ammo, hearing & eye protection, cover garment.
Depending on what div you shoot, you will need 3mags, one in the gun & two on you belt. A mag pouch, eitehr a double or two singles. Holster is personal pref but must NOT be a competition version. So most use some kind of Kydex OWB or anything IWB works fine. Cover garment can be anything that covers the gun form a vest to your T-shirt. The vest is easy on & off A coat in cold/wet weather works too.
Find out how many stages are being shot. IDPA rules allow only 18rds required max per stage, some can take more if you miss. So plan on 20rds/stage min. & bring a little extra. Go to the IDPA website & look at the rule book. Try to understand the scoring if it matters to you. Go have fun, it's great practice (not training) for anyone serious about their shooting.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks guys.

Alright, so what would you suggest for a holster and belt for my XDm9? I'm willing to spend around $50ish on each.

I have the blackhawk serpa which I've been told not to use. I have a huge ass blackhawk belt but never have used it since its so damn wide and thick. It was a thoughtful Christmas gift but not what I wanted.

·
Premium Member
127,175 Posts
I've been using a Serpa for over a year and I have yet to shoot myself or do anything unsafe with it.

My least favorite holster. I personally know three people who have had accidents with them this year.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the holster for around the farm and woods. Don't think I'll like it for IDPA stuff. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Trying to order it by tomorrow since I found and signed up for an IDPA next Saturday in Atlanta Indiana.

Thanks

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ok, thanks guys.

Alright, so what would you suggest for a holster and belt for my XDm9? I'm willing to spend around $50ish on each.

I have the blackhawk serpa which I've been told not to use. I have a huge ass blackhawk belt but never have used it since its so damn wide and thick. It was a thoughtful Christmas gift but not what I wanted.
Given your time constraints, I'd suggest you use the belt and holster that you already have. If you buy now you may end up with something that you don't like in the long run. Shoot a couple of matches. See what others are using. Ask questions. Someone may even offer to let you borrow a holster. (Someone let my son borrow a holster and a Glock to go with it.) Then you will be able to make intelligent choices regarding what is best for you.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I don't remember seeing what gun you are using. If it's an XD and you have the holster and mag pouch that usually comes with the gun; use that. I am a believer in using what you have until you can figure out what it is that you really want or need. Just go and have fun but also be safe.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Depending on how picky your local club is the 2" belt may not work. Your belt must go through at least 3 belt loops of your pants (IIRC). If the 2" works with your belt loops you are golden.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'd still say pack up your gear and go shoot the match. As long as you are safe and gear/gun is secure, I would hope they would let you shoot. You might have to run as outlaw, but you will learn what's allowed by your locals and you'll be ready for the next one.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't understand all the numbers that the IDPA has listed for ammunition.

Is WWW 9mm Luger 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket alright for the comp?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Ok, thanks guys.

There is a restriction on belts, not over 2" & 1/4" thick. You can get a Comptac OWB paddle in about 5days, great holster, about $60. Their belts are top quality too, about $75. Cheap but functional would be the Fobus paddle rigs & mag pouches.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I don't understand all the numbers that the IDPA has listed for ammunition.

Is WWW 9mm Luger 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket alright for the comp?
For local club matches, probably. The PF or power factor is simply vel x bullet wt. So if the 115gr WWB makes 1100fps in a 4"-5" gun, that is 126.5PF or legal. At sanctioned matches, they will chronograph a random selection of your ammo to make sure you are NOT gaming & shooting bunnyfart loads.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, I will let you guys know how it goes next Saturday. I've also been invited to go watch one of the three guys hosting the IDPA in Atlanta Indiana this Sunday in Riley Indiana for a USPSA. Not sure if I can make that one but I'm going to try.

I contacted one of the guys who host the IDPA in Atlanta Indiana and he said the the Serpa is fine to use. He said he uses one at times and doesn't plan on banning the holster anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts