Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an AK builder, and I'm firmly devoted to that platform.

Having said that, I'm kind of looking at making an AR my next fiream purchase. I'm not looking for a high end mall ninja weapon, but one that I can shoot without worrying about affecting resale value.

I'm kind of looking at Double Star, which is located about 50 miles from my house.

Any and all opinions and recommendations welcome.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Your options are huge!

You could pick up a double star stripped lower and go with a Del Ton kit. That would put you at around $600 total with a back up iron sight.

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Rifle Kits - 16"

Many have bought these kits from Del-Ton and are happy with function and quality.

If you want a "name brand" just pick one besides olympic.

Kent

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
if your looking for a cheap AR, and keeping up the resale value after using it.. does it matter who makes it?

just buy any cheap AR that you can shoot out of the box.

if double star is what you like, and they fit your budget, and they are close....you have your answer. :)

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your options are huge!

You could pick up a double star stripped lower and go with a Del Ton kit. That would put you at around $600 total with a back up iron sight.

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Rifle Kits - 16"

Many have bought these kits from Del-Ton and are happy with function and quality.

If you want a "name brand" just pick one besides olympic.

Kent

Thanks, sort of thinking about building one, this makes sense. Me, I don't care about the name on the receiver. Remember, I build and shoot AKs. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts

Having said that, I'm kind of looking at making an AR my next fiream purchase. I'm not looking for a high end mall ninja weapon, but one that I can shoot without worrying about affecting resale value.

I'm kind of looking at Double Star, which is located about 50 miles from my house.

I have heard nothing but good things about doublestar. The stock on my AR is made by them.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Don't know what the "cheapest" AR is, but the most "inexpensive" is the one you'll build! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Don't know what the "cheapest" AR is, but the most "inexpensive" is the one you'll build! ;)
that depend's, alot of builds tend to get out of hand, and become costly.

but if you wanted to spend some time, and be a bargain shopper....you could build a cheap rifle.

but the OP stated he wanted to keep a decent resale value, which leads me to believe he just wants to shoot it for a while, then unload it onto someone else when he gets bored.

i would think the best way to keep resale up is to buy a rifle that is pre-built, or semi built by the same manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
The OP posted this ...

Colt, fo sho.
I think Colt, LMT and or Noveske is a pretty good answer. Any of those 3 will probably not have any dramatic resale value.

I personally would recommend CMMG or even STAG. Build 'em and keep 'em. I learned my lesson! :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Cheapest? Olympic. :twisted:

I personally have not use and Olympic. I've heard horror stories about them, but have not personally delt with any of their products. There are some that love them. There are some that hate them. Personally, I'd rather build one than buy one.

If you've built an AK, then an AR is going to be as simple as a high end Lego set to you.

Hardwarz

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If you live clsoe to Doublestar just get one of the JT Dist. kits (double star) and build it, they offer dealer pricing on orders over $1000 so get a friend to build one with you and it will save you.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I think that blows off the "cheapest" part of the OPs info request.

I was being sarcastic regarding the Colt being cheap (obviously). However, as Stewie said, if you are looking for something that will hold it's resale value, a Colt would be a pretty good option.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I got my Bushmaster used at a local pawn shop for just about $750 complete out-the-door. (Thanks, Kalifornia!) It was horribly dirty and had a couple scratches here and there, but after a good cleaning it worked perfectly. Sure, I could have built one for less, but I wouldn't have had it in hand that day.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I vote for Double Star.

I don't own one, but my dad just had one built by our local Class three dealer. With iron sights at 50 yards it was putting holes right next to eachother. I was really suprised. If I wasn't building a MK 12 clone right now I would be looking at getting one of their rifles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts