Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the cheapest .223 ammo available that still functions well? Should I stay away from wolf? How about sellier and bellot? Any suggestions? (just plinking ammo, no match grade stuff needed)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would recomend staying away from Wolf unless you enjoy spending alot of time cleaning your gun. From my personal experience I have found Wolf to have the dirtiest ammo out there.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Yes Wolf ammo is very dirty, but I still use it! I've got about 4k rounds of Wolf stocked, and about 3K of reloads on hand. If you want to stay away from Wolf, you can try to find some milsurp brass. They tend to be "somewhat" cheap. But you also get the option of being able to reload. Most milsurp brass has a crimp, you'll just have to swage them.

Sidenote, I have a DPMS that shoots nothing but Wolf. It's been through A LOT of rounds and it's still going! I figured "crap" ammo for a "crap" rifle, ya know?! :)

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I would recomend staying away from Wolf unless you enjoy spending alot of time cleaning your gun. From my personal experience I have found Wolf to have the dirtiest ammo out there.
Gotta clean 'em anyway after you shoot 'em!!:mrgreen:

I use Wolf, Brown Bear and Fiocchi for plinking.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just picked up 1500 rounds of Hornaday Tap 55 g practice ammo from
GT for 130.00 for 500 rounds. Iv shot about 300 rounds of this with no problems in the past
thru my M&P. It steel case so no reloading but its clean unlike Wolf
or Brown Bear.
They will only sell 1000 rounds to you at one time but I live 2 miles from the place so going back is to darn easy for me.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
wideners has 1000 rounds of prvi partizan 5.56mm M193 for $350 shipped, one of the best and not too expensive brass ammo you can get. AIM Surplus has some ammo too

Prvi:
Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC
500 rounds + ammo can:
AIM US .223 55grn FMJ 500rd Can US .223 55grn FMJ 500rd Can
1000 rounds in a box:
AIM US .223 55grn FMJ US .223 55grn FMJ
I've never used Privi Partizan before, are they berdan primed or american boxer primed? I'd hate to buy $350 worth of brass ammo and then come to find out I can't use them because they are Berdan Primed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Any of you guys ever deal with black hills ammo? I know of a "deal" for $12.00 for a box of 50. not sure of how many boxes this dude has, but I was wondering if it was worth the price.:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I was reading else where that the Prvi 5.56x45 M193 is Boxer primed. I just orderd 1k rounds and can't wait for it to come in.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
according to this it says its boxer primed:
Prvi Partizan Ammunition Prvi Partizan, Ammunition, ammo, pistol, rifle, shotgun, shells, buckshot, Match Target

New M193 ball Ammo is made to US Military 5.56 standard, in brass cases and a 55 gr full metal jacket Boattail bullet (FMJBT) of lead with a copper jacket, which provides tight-grouping accuracy at higher velocities! 5.56 (223) 55 gr ball. Boxer-primed, reloadable, non-corrosive. Muzzle Velocity: 3259 FPS out of a 20" barrel (3132fps for a 16" barrel, Muzzle Energy: 1289 ft.-lbs. 20 rds. per box. This 55 grain full metal jacket ammo is ideal for target shooting or plinking.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I dug this up on the web:

VII. Reloading Information

F. Terminology

3. Berdan vs. Boxer Primers

by Michael Knape ([email protected])
So what is the difference between berdan and boxer primed ammo? Is either prefereable for .308 or 7.62 x 39 practice, storage, etc?​
Primers in the U.S. are often referred to as Boxer primers, after the designer, Edward M. Boxer, a British Army Officer during the mid 1800's. At about the same time, an American ordinance officer, Hiram Berdan, introduced a different priming system in the U.S. The Berdan primer uses 2 or 3 smaller flash holes that are off center and surround an anvil that is formed as part of the bottom of the primer pocket. From a manufacturing standpoint, Berdan's system is simpler and less expensive, but cases of this type are extremely difficult to reload. Aluminum CCI Blaser cartridges use this system and are not reloadable. Ironically, it was the British Boxer system that the U.S. has adopted, while the American Berdan system is still widely used in Great Britain, and Europe. The Boxer system uses a larger centered flash hole and the anvil is a separate metal piece that's held inside the primer cup.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Gotta clean 'em anyway after you shoot 'em!!:mrgreen:

Wolf may be a little dirtier but it is worth it for the price. I can usually get it at the gun shows for around $140 for 500 rounds and $260 for 1000 rounds. I have fired over well 2000 rounds with no problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts