Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ideally, I would have many rounds of buckshot on hand. But what would you all suggest I stock up on in regards to a 12 gauge defense load?

Number 8 Birdshot is cheap at Wal Mart, but I of course would like something more potent. Would a larger sized birdshot be a smart move?

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
You can get that Sellier & Bellot buckshot pretty cheap. It's not real powerful, but it should make a good home defense round. :arrow:

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
If you are looking for a defensive round, why are you looking for the cheapest? If you are purchasing something that you would be willing to trust your life on, wouldn't you want the best quality instead of the best price? I could see wanting the cheapest trap round so that you can go to the range and let lead fly. But for protection, I'm going the quality route.

With that said, I chose Hornady 00 TAP. It's not the cheapest, but it's not the most expensive either. But it's something I feel I can trust.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
you should get buckshot. since once you get to the larger birdshot they are almost as much as buckshot.
i like #4 buckshot others like 00buck but anything buck shot #4 or larger and you should be fine, just test to make sure it works well in your gun.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
you should get buckshot. since once you get to the larger birdshot they are almost as much as buckshot.
i like #4 buckshot others like 00buck but anything buck shot #4 or larger and you should be fine, just test to make sure it works well in your gun.
This is your best advice. Birdshot is for birds. From a riot choke, it's almost useless beyond 30ft. Buy buckshot, any buckshot is better than any size birdshot for HD/SD. I don't know why you need a lot of it though. Buy a box or two of 25 (5-10 of 5rd). SHoot a couple to familiarize yourself & practice w/ cheap birdhsot. My SG patterns best w/ #4 buck or Fed. reduced recoil #00 & full power #000. You will only know if you try some in your SG, but cost is not the objective.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Ideally, I would have many rounds of buckshot on hand. But what would you all suggest I stock up on in regards to a 12 gauge defense load?

Number 8 Birdshot is cheap at Wal Mart, but I of course would like something more potent. Would a larger sized birdshot be a smart move?

You may also want to consider stocking on #4 buck shot (perfect self denfense round with less danger of overpenetration) in addtion to 00 buck, you may even want to consider keeping a supply og slugs on hand.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Green and yellow box. Remington Express 00Buck available at your local wally world and for around 11 bucks / 15 rounds. That is probably one of the cheapest you'll find.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts

"Birdshot, because of its small size, does not have the mass and sectional density to penetrate deeply enough to reliably reach and damage critical blood distribution organs. Although birdshot can destroy a great volume of tissue at close range, the permanent crush cavity is usually less than 6 inches deep, and this is not deep enough to reliably include the heart or great blood vessels of the abdomen. A gruesome, shallow wound in the torso does not guarantee a quick stop, especially if the bad guy is chemically intoxicated or psychotic. If the tissue crushed by the pellets does not include a vital cardiovascular structure there's no reason for it to be an effective wound.

Many people load their shotguns with birdshot, usually #6 shot or smaller, to minimize interior wall penetration. Number 6 lead birdshot, when propelled at 1300 fps, has a maximum penetration depth potential of about 5 inches in standard ordnance gelatin. Not all of the pellets penetrate this deeply however; most of the shot will penetrate about 4 inches."

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Cheapest would probably be some form of 00 buck. Mass produced, so probably going to be a tad cheaper then the other buck loads. I wouldn't run birdshot...unless I had a serious problem with birds breaking in.

All in all I wouldn't make your decision based solely on price. You don't also need to get all the real nice tacti-cool loads, either. When I had a shotgun I ran pretty standard Federal #4 buck through it. Was well made and I trusted it, but didn't cost me a whole lot more then the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Any reason I've never seen buckshot at Wal-Mart? I only see bird shot at mine.

Do I have to go to a gun shop to get buck shot?

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
My local walmart keeps the buck shot behind the counter while bird shot is on the shelf, so if you haven't looked behind the counter that's probably where it's at.

You may want to consider at least checking out gun store as you might be able to get a discount on a bulk order and better advice from the gun store if you have any questions when puchasing....you proooobbbbably won't get that at walmart.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think bird shots are good for my house. Depending on your house size. Mines have plenty of small rooms so I dont want over pentetration, the longest range inside my house I can still get a 2 inch spread with my bird shot..I've tested the bird shot and at a normal engagement distance (2-3 yards) the bird shots still goes right thru small trunk size trees (~3 inch dia.??) so Im sure human flesh isnt harder then a tree trunk.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This stuff works pretty good in my Mossberg 500a Persuader 20" barrel:

From MidwayUSA website:

Fiocchi Reduced Recoil Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 00 Buckshot 9 Nickel Plated Pellets Box of 10

Product #: 482134
Our Price: $6.09

·
Registered
891 Posts
In the 1970's the State Dept. did a series of tests and concluded that the most effective anti personnel shot was plated #4 buckshot. My shotgun (19" barrel Cylinder bore) patterns this load very well. I shoot 27 pellet 12 GA. # 4 buck max. or 2 3/4 " magnum virtually any brand. Nobody will do very well if shot with that load within home defense ranges. Go with the best in your gun #4 buck or better. Not the cheapest.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I stocked up on this cheap buckshot:
Cabela's -- Estate Buckshot

It does what it was intended to do.
Sure there is better stuff out there but for $140 bucks of your choice of 250 rounds of 00 or #4buck it's a pretty decent deal. Plus if you add the $20 off coupon code they are offering (good until the 23rd) it really sweetens the deal.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
My local walmart keeps the buck shot behind the counter while bird shot is on the shelf, so if you haven't looked behind the counter that's probably where it's at.

You may want to consider at least checking out gun store as you might be able to get a discount on a bulk order and better advice from the gun store if you have any questions when puchasing....you proooobbbbably won't get that at walmart.
-Thanks, I hadn't checked behind the counter for shotgun ammo. I just assumed they only kept rifle & handgun ammo back there. I guess it makes sense (in their mind) to keep buckshot behind the counter, since it's more "dangerous".

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Green and yellow box. Remington Express 00Buck available at your local wally world and for around 11 bucks / 15 rounds. That is probably one of the cheapest you'll find.

Yup. thats what i keep in my mossberg. the 15 pack box of the 00 buckshot high brass magnums. went though some at the range and i almost feel sorry for the SOB that catches a few rounds of that, ALMOST sorry....

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Hey guys, did you know that there are airguns that shoot a .17 bb at 1,200 fps? That's almost as fast as a shotgun. So, for an analogy that is not too far out, nor too technical, consider this: which would die first; a man shot by 100 riflemen shooting .17 caliber bb's into his COM or a man being shot by 24 riflemen with .32 caliber bullets at the same fps? The projectile of the #4 shot are about the same diameter as the .32.

I believe that if you will think about this, try to envision the difference, you will see that birdshot is for the birds. Due to the weight of the individual pellets going at the same fps. The larger, heavier pellet is going to have a much deadlier effect. And taking this analogy a step further, wall penetration (that subjects other residence to danger) is not going to be a real factor either due to the power distribution and how quickly it all dissipates it will barley pass through two layers of sheetrock.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts