Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I refuse to buy anything but a name brand scope to put on my guns. Why buy a $500.00+ rifle and hold it back with a $50.00-$100.00 scope?

You can buy the lower grades of name brand scopes and still be better off than buying generic.

My opinion...

·
Registered
620 Posts
I tend to agree with Itchy... Admittedly I've bought my share of cheap scopes. I was able to pick up a really nice Mueller scope for one of my long guns and it is a dream. Very durable. Hasn't changed zero after 3 seasons of deer hunting. Very clear and crisp. It's always a painful realization when you find out your scope is toast. It is so worth buying good quality optics. Even from an economical standpoint, you end up replacing cheap scopes every time... ultimately spending as much as you would have on a quality optic.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have not bought a scope from them, but i did buy an inexpensive iwb holster. The shipping cost as much as the holtster, so I think they make their profit on the shipping.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
They have a great selection of stuff and I have been satisfied with everything I bought from them. Never bought any cheapo optics from anyone and never will. Last thing you need is a piece of junk that won't hold calibration or breaks during normal use.

BTW, contrary to their name, some of the products in their catalog are not "cheaper than dirt." I have been able to find them cheaper elsewhere. Yeah, the shipping costs are often a deal breaker with me.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Their scopes are like anyone else's. Non-well known brand + cheap = made in china.
If you pick a name brand with good optics, they're not cheap.

I agree with Paco. CTD is not always the cheapest. I used to go there regularly but their selection has dwindled and the prices have risen.

·
Registered
620 Posts
MidwayUSA is another great site for buying shooting / reloading stuff.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i agree with jon 45 i bought a simmons white tail classic from midway usa and have had no proublems the scope was verry inexpensive i have it on a 3oowsm and as things go i droped the gun with scope on it.It fell about 10 feet streight down i thought it would be the end of the scope but it worked perfictly held zero even after the fall mabe i got lucky good luck to you

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a burris full field that i love, i also just bought an cva optima witha higher end tasco(if there is such a thing) i really like it. and if i was looking for a cheap scope would definitly look at the 100 dollar tascos. jmo

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
I bought ammo from CDT before the latest price increases, but not optics.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Some of us will never forgive CTD for their price gouging the day after Boma was elected.

Guns and ammo doubled in price overnight.

I've also been to their store in Ft Worth and I was not impressed by the store, the prices, or the employees.

I won't buy anything from them..:(

·
Registered
178 Posts
some of them are not junk, it just depends on which caliber you are gonna be using it with. i.e. a lower priced scope ( 50bucks ) will not with stand the abuse of a .50cal rifle etc. etc. but, they are plenty sturdy for a .22LR rifle.

but it's true that when purchasing a rifle scope, it is advice-able to purchase the high end scope as it does not require changing after firing 6k rounds... plus higher end scopes retain it's value more than the cheaper brands if you decided to sell it down the road...

Let us know which junk you are looking at so if any of us have/had experience with them, we'll let you know if it's junk... there's also alot more better online stores than those guys. I'm always impressed of Amazon, MidwayUSA and OpticsPlanet for their costumer service.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Some of us will never forgive CTD for their price gouging the day after Boma was elected.

I've also been to their store in Ft Worth and I was not impressed by the store, the prices, or the employees.

+1 Although I have never been to their store personally.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts

Yes the employees in the Fort Worth location are not very friendly and there knowledge is sub-par :???:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Since the Fort Worth store is also one of their a warehouses, I buy a lot of stuff from them. Mostly ammo and survival supplies. It is nice to be able to see what you are buying before you walk out of the store. You have to be selective on your purchases, I have gotten some junk. The retail store is an entirely seperate company. And those employees, it depends on who you talk to. Some of them are real dumba$$es, but some of them are quite knowledgeable and friendly. You have to take the bad with the good

·
Registered
518 Posts
I refuse to buy anything but a name brand scope to put on my guns. Why buy a $500.00+ rifle and hold it back with a $50.00-$100.00 scope?

You can buy the lower grades of name brand scopes and still be better off than buying generic.

My opinion...
CTD carries name brand scopes....

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll use CTD for occasional comparison shopping because they do have a large and diverse gun inventory. Their counter help can be a little arrogant at times and borderline rude when they figure out you are only window shopping. They have weekly sales ads that are so so if buying locally. Their ammo prices are NOT "Cheaper Than Dirt"
Fortunately , I have a Cabela's for ammo and Academy stores that can be used to compete for pricing. :wink:

WEEKLY SALE | Cheaper Than Dirt Outdoor Adventures

1 - 18 of 18 Posts