Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I bought an NC star laser from midway NcStar Red Laser Sight with Weaver-Style Mount Black - MidwayUSA for only 20 bucks. I figured it might be a piece of junk, but it seems to work pretty well. I have not owned any other laser, by the way.
The housing and weaver rail clamp are all aluminum. The on/off switch is plastic- it's at the back end of the housing and you push one way for on and the other for off- it might be easy to accidentally hit the switch, and it doesn't take much pressure to flip it.
Adjusting the beam is by way of four tiny set screws- to move the beam, you loosen one and tighten the opposite one- a little finicky, but not too bad. Now that it is adjusted, i may epoxy it in place.
I bought it for dry fire practice and it preforms well for that. Beam is hard to see outside past 25 feet.
Yesterday I ran 50 rounds 9mm through the gun and the laser still works. It did not move- does not need to be re-adjusted. I liked the "feel" of targeting with a laser because i could use both eyes and focus on the target, rather than trying to focus on my front sight. I have trouble using sights with both eyes open. I would like to be able to shoot relatively well without using sights or laser- this would be natural for me because I do alot of archery (no sights) . In shooting a bow instinctively, I look at a spot on the target, and mostly ignore the arrow in my sight picture.

So in summary, it seems a good deal for the price and i have had no problems yet.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered one of these a couple days ago, should have it here shortly.

One thing I've read on other reviews of this laser is that the battery cover tends to like to back-out, so cranking it down a bit seems to be the best recourse. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have not had the battery cover back out, but here's what I have noticed:
1. The on/off switch is on the battery cover, therefore the orientation of the switch is somewhat determined by how tight you screw it on. In the photo above, the battery cover is on the far right - it's the end cap of the tube that holds the batteries and laser. the on/off switch is oriented towards the camera)
2. Ideally, the set screws for windage and range would be exactly vertical and horizontal with respect to the gun.
3. The entire tube ,along with set screws and switch can be rotated in the weaver mount clamp.
4. so if you mount the tube with the set screws vertical and then screw in the battery cover, your on off switch may not be in the orientation you prefer. In the picture above, the on/off switch is almost horizontal, so you'd push it from the sides of the gun (like the mag release button). However it might be better to have this switch oriented vertically (90 degrees to the above), so that it would turn on by pushing UP on it, and it would be hard to turn off accidentally, because you'd have to push down on it by inserting your finger between the frame and laser- it's hard to get a finger in there.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Got my NCStar laser today.

I will say this. If you're trying to mount it on a sub-compact, you're going to have to mount it backwards. Not a major issue, but it will stick-out from the end of your gun. Definitely a range/dry fire laser for an XD9sc.

Still trying to get mine straightened out though. My adjustments screws seem to be a bit of a pain in the butt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts