Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a cheap laser from Midway USA and finally got to the range last night. I mounted it to the waver rail on the bottom of the pistol and thought it might help me with my grip and tigger pull.

What I didn't expect is that the red dot is DEAD ON where the bullet goes. Which also proved that I need to adjust the sights. It was a heck of a lot of fun with the laser to shoot the metal targets.

The laser was only good out to about 25 yards before I couldn't see it, but still I'd never been able to hit a paper target before at 25 yards (because of how far off the sights are...)

So, not a very tactical/durable laser, but cheap, easy to mount, the on switch goes right where your trigger finger goes before you put it on the trigger. Its adjustable so you can put the on/off button on either side of the trigger guard. I'll try and get some pictures tonight when I'm cleaning...

On a side note, my 7 year old came out with me to shoot his new air soft pistol from his grandma. I was very impressed with how well he'd been listening to me about gun safety and that he treated his air soft pistol as if it were the real thing. I was so proud!

We also had to shoot the M&P 15/22 (which is why we brought the metal targets). I think I really need to get a bolt action 22. It would slow him down and help him focus on aim, but the 15/22 is really really fun to shoot!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Did you notice how un steady you are when useing the laser. I was surprised to see how much movement is there when trying to aim. You can even watch your heat beat when useing the laser!

·
Registered
64 Posts
WOW that is cheap. I'll be picking up one of these just to work on my trigger pull at the range. Good find! +1

Edit: Did you sight it at all? If you did was it fairly easy? And about your son I bet the bolt action would help, when I learned to slow down and take my time shooting I got A LOT better.

Edit2: Just ordered mine :)

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Good find! If you plan to leave it on your pistol always the locking system seems good. It got pretty good reviews. May want to think about a drop of Loctite blue on the threads to keep it all secured nice and tight. ;)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't get around to cleaning last night so I don't have any pictures yet. I didn't sight the laser at all, just mounted it on the rail. I didn't expect it to be accurate.

I was looking more for something to indicate where am I aiming when I pull the trigger but still focus on the regular sights since I don't plan to have the laser on the gun when I begin carrying. Some blue loctite might not be a bad idea though...

Regarding using the laser, I really noticed how unsteady I was and how hard I was gripping the gun was causing much of the variation in my shots. I need to work more on holding the gun firmly but not squeezing it so hard. I think I'm trying not to limp wrist it by strangling it.

It is not hard to shoot a gun, but there is a learning curve to shooting it well. It is a lot like golf.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yea it has awesome reviews for such a cheap laser...I mean for $20? Awesome. I'm never going to use it in the field, but when I get it out to the range I will post back about my experience with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I rented an M&P w the laser already on it and def a lot of movement acquiring target .

Was surprising .

And distracting . Seemed to focus more on the laser than the target . Guess I would have adjusted w more range time .

Just not convinced it is part of a HD strategy .

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
You are right, when you notice the movement in your hands your start to grip even tighter.
I rented an M&P w the laser already on it and def a lot of movement acquiring target .

Was surprising .

And distracting . Seemed to focus more on the laser than the target . Guess I would have adjusted w more range time .

That's what I find too! However, it's great for dry fire practice, but it isn't so good (for me) for HD. A rail light seems to be far more practical.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Was surprising .

We were doing some drills on the range and found that time to first shot went down when using a laser. Not sure why other than speculating that the shooter was looking for the laser.

Still undecided on the value of a laser other than a psychological one for the BG.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You guys are killin' me........ my credit card is really going to get a workout on this site. Glad this laser is a reasonable price, just wish all the other "must have" stuff on this site was this cheap to buy!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Gee thanks. I was looking at getting another mag from Midway and now I have excuse to put a order in. New mag and laser on its way. for $20 just to see what my hands are doing and maybe help me shoot better I feel I can afford that.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Got the laser and mag in yesterday. Zeroed the laser in onto my iron sites and this is a pain. 2 set screws for vert and 2 screws for Horizontal adjustments. I made a small adjustment to bring the laser down and it drifted off to the left. It takes some tinkering but its finally on. Hard to see in the day. Just hope it doesnt drift after firing 5 mags.

But it sure is fun watchin the cat go zonkers chasin it!!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought I'd update... I've got this mounted on my Sig Mosquito (.22lr). I've been mainly using the laser for practice at home and then shooting at the range without turning the laser on because you can barely see it in daylight.

After about 700 rounds I found the laser was starting to rotate in the mount to the point where I couldn't easily turn it on since the on switch was now pointing to about 5 o'clock instead of 3 where I'd put it. So I had to loosen the mount and rotate the laser.

I also noticed that after about every 200 rounds or so I'd have to tighten the battery compartment, which is also where the on/off switches are located. I never let it get to the point where it fell off. Just that it would start to shake itself loose.

I also found out that I think this laser was originally intended for use on air guns, but somehow that didn't make it into the description at MidwayUSA. Compared to the Crimson Trace laser on my XD, I'd say this one is about 1/2 as bright (very subjective).

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
The NCStar laser really isn't for range use unless you do something to secure the battery compartment.

Also, be VERY careful adjusting the laser. Those tiny little allen screws WILL screw all of the way through, at which point you have to take the batteries out, remove laser through the back hole, hopefully not drop the tiny screw into shag carpeting and then screw it back in. Let's just say I've got some experience with it (though not on shag carpeting).

For $20, it's good for dry fire practice.

It will fit the XD9, however if you try to put it on a sub-compact model, you will have to turn the laser around in the mound and mount it backwards as the retaining bar that run through it won't reach the gap in the rail otherwise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts