Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I have a few caseings, but am simply amazed at the prices of bullets. Not looking for anything special to reload. Am wondering if you all have a decent link with some poor mans priceing?
Oh yea 40 S&W 45 ACP , useing a RCBS single stage Rock chucker.

Subject: Cheap Brass and Cheap Bullets ;)

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
About the only "brass bullet" I've ever heard of in .45acp is a Remington Golden Sabre Brass Jacketed Hollow Point.

You used to be able to find 'em for reloading, but I haven't seen them for a while...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think he may be looking at some guy what tried to use 40S&W casings as jackets in 45acp. it did not work very well. there's a posting on utube some wheres

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry guys n girls , haven't reloaded in 30 years. Let me elaborate Brass caseings 40 S&W , 45 ACP nickle fine also. JHP or just JSP bullets. Just looking for cheap buys, things have went up drastically in 30 years.
Edit : I see alot of lead casted bullets out there , personally I've never liked to use them, your guys personal thoughts?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Montana GOld I think uses a brass alloy jacket, a good quality bulelt that is affordable if bought in case lots. PrecisionDelta for jakceted & lots of casters out there making lead. Pesonnaly, I shoot lead bullets almost exclusively in all my guns but a couple of calibers like 357sig. All my revolvers stuff form 38sp to heavy 44mags & 45colts, 9mm thru 45acp, all get a steady diet of lead bullets. Yes you have to clean the gun a bit more often but they shoot just as accurately & are far cheaper. Yep, the bullet is the most expensive part. SO buy in bulk when you can. If you really want to shoot cheap, start casting your own or find someone you can swap alloy for bullets. Some of us like to cast just to do it.;)

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
We have swaged .40S&W brass cases into 45 jackets using a Corbin bullet swage press, and they shoot great. it is however a very labor intensive process, but it makes for quite a sharp looking bullet.

We also lead cast our own .45 bullets out of wheel weights and discarded lead sheet.

thanks to the Corbin press and die sets, we cast lead cores, and copper jacket our own .224, .308, and .45's

we also have the jacket punch and swage to make our own jackets out of pretty much whatever we want.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys I see where I messed up , the sbject line should read.... Where to buy Cheap Realoading Brass and copper Jacketed Bullets.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Montana GOld I think uses a brass alloy jacket, a good quality bulelt that is affordable if bought in case lots. PrecisionDelta for jakceted & lots of casters out there making lead. Pesonnaly, I shoot lead bullets almost exclusively in all my guns but a couple of calibers like 357sig. All my revolvers stuff form 38sp to heavy 44mags & 45colts, 9mm thru 45acp, all get a steady diet of lead bullets. Yes you have to clean the gun a bit more often but they shoot just as accurately & are far cheaper. Yep, the bullet is the most expensive part. SO buy in bulk when you can. If you really want to shoot cheap, start casting your own or find someone you can swap alloy for bullets. Some of us like to cast just to do it.;)
Hi Fred...

I just bought a case of Montana Gold 180grn HP bullets and am about to try them out. I still buy a bunch of lead bullets from S&S too, but I like to experiment as you know. I've been gone from here for a while but thought I would say hi to you here. Hope things are all good for you and good to see you are still here and giving sound advice as usual! :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
About the only "brass bullet" I've ever heard of in .45acp is a Remington Golden Sabre Brass Jacketed Hollow Point.

You used to be able to find 'em for reloading, but I haven't seen them for a while...
Midway usa sells golden sabre bullets for reloading.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I always use lead bullets when I make my .45acp loads..... its a bit messier to clean out the barrel after a round of shooting but that's what a good brash brush and a jag are for....

I pay about $5.50 per 50 rds of .45 acp, assuming I can use the case at least 5 times...

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Hi Fred...

I just bought a case of Montana Gold 180grn HP bullets and am about to try them out. I still buy a bunch of lead bullets from S&S too, but I like to experiment as you know. I've been gone from here for a while but thought I would say hi to you here. Hope things are all good for you and good to see you are still here and giving sound advice as usual! :)
Yeah, things are good thanks. You'll like the MG, very accurate bullet. I don't shoot a lot of them, but my buddy does & his stuff will definetly shoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts