Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my fiber optic sight on my XDs to the green one, but my flame got too close and I clouded up the ends. Has anyone had success with using a heat gun instead of a flame? Or is there another method that works better?

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Joe,

I just used a lighter and made sure to slowly move the fiber optic close enough to melt it. As soon as that started I backed it off. I never allowed the flame to come in contact with the fiber optic.

I recommend just trying it again but keep in mind you don't have to get it too close before it starts to melt.

Good Luck!

:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I did, but I think the problem was that I was using a fire starter long wand type thingy, and it only had a blue flame, and it was just too hot. I think. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try heating a nail to glowing hot, then move it in proximity to the end of the sight. No risk of smoking up the sight.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is only the front clouded? If so you should still be able to see it clear from the end you are looking at through the rear sights.

Also, maybe you could try a soldering iron or a wood burning tool with a flat tip.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I've got a little experience with fiber optic. You can clear the end of the fiber by doing quick little bursts with a small torch. At a certain temperature, the fiber will bubble, get it just a touch hotter (quick, short passes with the torch) and it'll smooth over. Just keep playing with it until you find the sweet spot.

Sent via dixie cup string phone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts