Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHEN YOU CHANGE THE RECOIL/GUIDE ROD SPRING TO THE 22# OR 20# DO YOU CUT THE WOLF SPINGS TO THE FACTORY LENGTH OF 6" OR USE THEM THE LENGTH THEY COME?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for yelling, new to this.

thanks for the info.

maybe i should have been more clear with my question.
im shooting downloaded ammo (180grain jhp @ 3.1-3.4 grains of powder)
in a xd 40 tactical. i want the gun to shoot as flat as possible. not much recoil now but thinking about changing springs to recduce recoil more. i see people talking about 22# and 20# springs but are they using factory ammo? so i short any idea what # spring i should start with?

thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
WHAT DO YOU MEAN. I AM YELLING, I ALWAYS TALK LIKE THIS.

I did not know that for awhile either. Take it easy on us new guys that are not used to these computers, let alone typing and all these other keys.

·
Registered
452 Posts
xd_xl said:
sorry for yelling, new to this.

thanks for the info.

maybe i should have been more clear with my question.
im shooting downloaded ammo (180grain jhp @ 3.1-3.4 grains of powder)
in a xd 40 tactical. i want the gun to shoot as flat as possible. not much recoil now but thinking about changing springs to recduce recoil more. i see people talking about 22# and 20# springs but are they using factory ammo? so i short any idea what # spring i should start with?

thanks
Sounds almost like you're shooting a minor load for USPSA/IPSC shooting. Check out the thread below over at Brian Enos' site , some of the folks over there offer their opinions on shooting lighter springs.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23338&hl=
(Little long of a read but worth it)

This thread along with seeing the other day that Old School likes the lighter side now has prompted me to experiment with my 40 Tact that I am shooting in USPSA Production.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ok I read it, I just need a few questions to make sense of it all.....

is that a heavier spring will give more of a rolling recoil, whereas a lighter spring will make the recoil a bit more snappy...getting the gun back on target faster

And, a heavier spring will hit a bit harder as the slide closes...perhaps, dipping the front sight. (All a timing issue, really.)
Whats rolling recoil?

Also it is stated that a lighter spring will make the recoil a bit more "snappy."

How does this work, I thought a 24# spring would make it a bit more snappy, due to the slide going back and fourth FASTER due to a heavier spring? Wouldn't that get you back on target faster, plus I thought having a quicker action (motion back and fourth faster) would also reduce alot of the muzzel flip/and or recoil?

I do see what he is saying about the muzzel possibly dipping, if it really actions that fast and hard.

But I also thought a 16# spring will action the gun slower, with further motion, wouldn't it have more recoil/and or muzzel flip. And wouldn't this cause you to get back to your target even slower than the stock sloshy spring?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've read a ton of these threads on springs and it seems the best thing to do is get a bunch of springs and try them for yourself. Springs are cheap enough to make that a worthwhile exercise.

·
Registered
452 Posts
A_Med said:
I've read a ton of these threads on springs and it seems the best thing to do is get a bunch of springs and try them for yourself. Springs are cheap enough to make that a worthwhile exercise.
+1

That's exactly what I am doing, I've got a batch coming that'll give me 14 - 22. I am running 22# right now, I want to see if a lighter spring will help me smooth out my double taps.

·
Registered
452 Posts
XD 40 mike said:
They make a 14#? Where?
Click on Colt 1911 Series at the top of this page at the URL below, then go to Recoil Springs:

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/ColtNF.html#1911Recoil

The Colt 1911/1911A1 conventional springs fit the XD Tacticals. I don't know that the 14# will work with any factory loads but I am starting to load some minor power factor stuff for shooting USPSA.

>>> Thread drift: YAY, 100 posts, YAY :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought a 21# Wolff spring and guide rod to replace the captive dual spring system.

After 120 shots (60 per spring) total, alternating every 12 rds, slow fire, rapid fire and double taps - this is what I observed.

Factory System:
* A little more muzzle rise, but smoother recoil.
* The smoother recoil allowed me to recover a little quicker even though I had more muzzle rise.
* It seemed like the gun naturally fell back into the shooting position

Wolff Spring and Guide Rod:
* The recoil reminded me a little more of a 1911.
* The gun kind of "flopped" in my hand and it seemed a little more "snappy" which took me a little longer to recover.
* Less muzzle rise - more recoil straight into my hand.

Most people seem to prefer the aftermarket springs and guide rods, but I prefer the stock assembly. I know it may sound contradictory to say that I could recover quicker with the factory system than Wolff since ther was more muzzle rise, but the factory system seemed to be more rhythmic.

Just my thoughts

J

·
Registered
242 Posts
In addition to what has been posted and linked to, I advise caution using a heavier spring with lighter loads. IMHO such a combination can lead to malfunctions because the slide doesn't cycle fully rearward.

·
Registered
171 Posts
* The gun kind of "flopped" in my hand and it seemed a little more "snappy" which took me a little longer to recover.

Whats the recoil like on a 1911?

I don't really plan on shooting professionaly anytime soon, I am just learning yet so far. My question is this, on the stock setup, when fired, the muzzel flie upward, and it tried to bend your wrists.

So with the 21# spring you noticed a substancial difference in what I described. At the range I go to you cannot rapid fire or double dap, therefore I don't really care about getting back on my target any faster.

Thanks for giving us that information. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
XD 40 mike said:

Whats the recoil like on a 1911?

I don't really plan on shooting professionaly anytime soon, I am just learning yet so far. My question is this, on the stock setup, when fired, the muzzel flie upward, and it tried to bend your wrists.

So with the 21# spring you noticed a substancial difference in what I described. At the range I go to you cannot rapid fire or double dap, therefore I don't really care about getting back on my target any faster.

Thanks for giving us that information. :D
The best advice I can give you here is just go out and shoot a 1911 if you can. I've owned 2 Kimber 1911's and I still have one, but there are a lot of other people who can address your questions about a 1911 better than me. A 45 simply has more recoil so I was not really comparing apples to apples. That was just the only analogy I could think of. Shooting my XD, the muzzle goes straight up and straight down in a smooth manner. My 45 seems to go up, wiggle a little from side to side and then come back down due to the extra recoil. That is what I meant by "flop". This is not necessarily a bad thing. To be fair to 1911's, when I am shooting my Kimber alot, I develop a rhythm and can recover very quickly. The XD is the most natural feeling pistol I have ever owned though.

I would not say that I notice a substantial difference in the two spring systems. The difference was very subtle. That is why it took me 60 rds with each spring to tell a difference. But, I like the factory system a little better.

It's a shame you can't practice double taps because that is the most practical thing to do in a defensive situation. I can remember when I'd shoot once and my axhole would draw so bad you couldn't drive a needle up it on the next "tap". Now I can shoot very effective double taps to the body of the silhoutte(sp?) and usually to the head at 30 feet. Still working on the head though.

Most people who own XD's prefer aftermarket recoil spring systems - especially Don's Guide Rod.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts