Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to get away from the 6 o'clock aim on the xdm. I wantto have normal point of aim as I am used to on my glocks. I don't want the confusion.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
All i can tell you, my XDMs with Trijicons are DEAD ON poa / poi

·
Registered
447 Posts
I changed my sights out to Dawson precision FO sights. They are now at POA/POI. Put the red front on where I want to hit. I shoot IDPA with my XDM and didn't have time to hold 6 o'clock. I had to point and shoot. After changing out the sights it helped. Both of my Springfield's have different sights. So range time is important.

·
Registered
23 Posts
...I don't understand.

What do you mean 6 o'clock aim? My XDm is dead on, and is completely bone stock the way it came out the box. I'm just trying to understand. Are you sure it's not you, and not the gun? I'm not trying to insult just trying to comprehend.

One thing I've always been taught, you'll never shoot a gun to it's -real- potential. It'll always out shoot you.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Yet another new member with less than 20 posts that claims XD are flawed. He also claims to own, or have owned, more than one Glock. Suspicious?
This user could have a legitimate problem, this is a well know issue.

Although on the flip side it may not be an issue at all, since every one uses sights differently. The OP could be lining the sights just under the target and his impacts are hitting low. A suggestion could be to change to a "Combat Aim" were you line up the dots and raise your sights so the front sight dot actually covers the target. I bet you will find your impact also raises.

With the example of shooting a head with a six ox clock hold you line up your sights and the tip of the front sight is just under the nose for a center hit. but you will find the impacts will be in the mouth/chin area.

So take a combat hold and now move your front dot to cover the nose, if you shoot both eyes open your front acts just like a red dot sight. Cover your center with that front and your impacts will hit behind were your front is around the nose area. You are essentially raising up the front raising your impact.

This is were I would recommend spending an hour with a shooting instructor and if your are open to adjusting your shooting habits you will solve the problem. The dots are there for a reason, I know that the manual says a six o clock but try the combat hold and be honest and see if it helps. Try the free fix first, if it don't work then adjust. Try a different rear like I explain in this article.
Stock Sights XD

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Ignore the manual and go to the range, try both aiming techniques and see which one works better for you.

WinterWizard you are the one that is not contributing to this thread with the accusations. This is a good thread with relevant information that could help others. The OP said he wants a normal point of aim and not have to use a six o'clock hold (nothing wrong with this). So ignore the manual and raise your sights up to a normal hold use it and see what happens that is the best way to get away from the six o'clock hold. Report back it may help others.

I get phone calls every singe day with people that need this type of advice, the question is relevant.

By the way I own several Glocks and the grip does suck, my XD`s, M&P`s, Sigs don't have that problem. Thats my opinion and I am initialed to it.
A proper answer to the query would be:
then you can send the Glock to somewhere like Robar and they can change that grip for you.
Or next time while at the store try both pistol side by side and compare, buy what fits you if you have the choice.
All without any accusations.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
First paragraph above. If he doesn't like the sights, he can change them.
Hey, now there is a contributing answer that could actually help some one.

There's been a lot of these troll-ish posts lately. I reserve the right to comment on any post I choose. Sorry.
You do, but not everyone is a troll and jumping on the bandwagon labeling everyone as a troll makes it seem like this forum is turning into one of those other sites that people can not even express an opinion. The XD is not perfect by any means and it does not fit everyone out of the box. Thats why a forum with lots of knowledge can help.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Why not add to your good suggestion of changing the sites out. What have you or your friends used before? And what did you like/dislike about it? heck if you never have owned other sites, then what sites have you seen on the internet that may help the OP. You have a unique experience that can help others.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
The thread's yours, James my man. Have at 'er!

Since you deleted your posts that he quoted..
You want to rag on a new member with less than 20 posts when you're a new member with less than 100?
WTF..post, get confronted, delete, and run off..
Who is the troll now?
I say you......

·
Registered
265 Posts
Errr .... okay. Haven't run off. I just don't care about this thread anymore. I'm quite the opposite of a troll. This is the only forum I am a member of. And I own a Springfield. I am no expert on sights or shooting, so I will leave that to more experienced people, which is why I deleted my posts. Still fit the definition of a troll? I think everyone needs to stop watching Rambo and ease off on the testosterone shots. I'm not interested in an internet forum confrontation. I will leave that for the 13-year-olds.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Ignore the manual and go to the range.
Advice doesn't get much better than this ;)

I've only got one handgun with adjustable sights, and I haven't touched the adjustment in years ... But I've got ... I can't remember how many handguns I have LOL.

I've learned to shoot instinctively, and when switching guns, I just understand that it's gonna take a few shots to remember/realize the difference.

The XD is my primary, and it allows me to remain combat accurate, primarily because it is the one I have shot the most.

All the others are an adjustment away from how the XD shoots :D

All the POA/POI stuff means nothing once you leave defensive distances, anyway.

Don't believe that ?
Try shooting a target at +100 yards using a 7 yard POA.

Go to the range ... Good advise, James !!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
My XD9 will hit where I point it and my XDm40 shoots low doing the same thing. I have to point above the bulls eye at 8 yds to get it to hit the bulls eye with my XDm whereas my XD will hit the bulls eye when I point at the bulls eye. I am however reading all I can on this site to try and improve my shooting to make sure it is the gun and not me.

Also, just because someone has less than 20, 100, or 250 posts does not mean they are a troll or an idiot. I'm here on this site every day but I rarely post because I get most of my questions answered by reading other posts, hence eliminating my need to post a lot.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks, Pit Boss. Trolls post a lot. I post about once a day on average. I own an XD, plus I am not a member of any other gun forums. I am not a gun expert or a shooting expert, but if someone wants to call me names, I don't know what to say – let's arm wrestle or something...

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
WinterWizard, you were the one accusing the OP of being suspecious/troll while he had a perfectly good question. You read too much into the OP`s original question and were not contributing to the thread by calling him a troll. If you search there are hundreds of posts discussing a 6 o'clock hold and he wanted what was a normal to him hold like his Glock. Nothing wrong with that. But calling him a troll does not help. And a troll can also be someone who likes to ruin threads, name call or just be bothersome. All I did was remind you your were not contributing to this thread by calling the OP a troll. But as some other members noticed your conduct was trollish.

Are there trolls.......yes there are a bunch of posts were there are fantastic stories that are too hard to believe. Not wanting a 6 o'clock hold is not hard to believe.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Like I said, I will not be drawn into a childish forum argument. I've got my opinion. You've got yours. We obviously both don't care what the other person thinks. So lets move on. We're beating a dead horse here.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I dont know about changing sites... I think XDtalk is a great place!

If you mean changing sights... then who cares, do what you want!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
WinterWizard, you were the one accusing the OP of being suspicious/troll while he had a perfectly good question. You read too much into the OP`s original question and were not contributing to the thread by calling him a troll. If you search there are hundreds of posts discussing a 6 o'clock hold and he wanted what was a normal to him hold like his Glock. Nothing wrong with that. But calling him a troll does not help. And a troll can also be someone who likes to ruin threads, name call or just be bothersome. All I did was remind you your were not contributing to this thread by calling the OP a troll. But as some other members noticed your conduct was trollish.

Are there trolls.......yes there are a bunch of posts were there are fantastic stories that are too hard to believe. Not wanting a 6 o'clock hold is not hard to believe.
Like I said, I will not be drawn into a childish forum argument. I've got my opinion. You've got yours. We obviously both don't care what the other person thinks. So lets move on. We're beating a dead horse here.
It sucks being held responsible for your posts doesn't it.

The only childish behavior is yours.
You blast the OP for being a troll, and when you're confronted with your actions, you try to delete your posts.
Perhaps you should be more selective in what you post in the first place so you don't have to go back and delete your posts..
It is one thing to contribute to a thread, it is another just to run your mouth, which is what you did.
You will be called on it...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts