Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all talk about bullets being pushed deeper into the case from constant chambering. How many times is to many?

I only ask because the one "in pipe" has been chambered 8 or 9 times.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Y'all talk about bullets being pushed deeper into the case from constant chambering. How many times is to many?

I only ask because the one "in pipe" has been chambered 8 or 9 times.

I am curious why and how this round has been chambered 8 to 9 times? If its because it has been to the range that many times then the round should have been fired by now.

If its being unloaded and loaded that many times at home then it is in just my opinion so take it as such please.. Being played with too much. I see no reason to unload my carry or HD rounds unless I am shooting range ammo. If its because you take the gun apart every month to get the dust bunnies out of a carry piece then you aren't hitting the range enough. Remember these are just opinions.

If it has been cycled 8-9 times then put it with the range ammo and stop loading and unloading when it dont need to be. Remember these are just opinions and IME, this kind of activity begs for a ND!!

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I can see where this could happen.
Whether you are clearing the weapon before handing it to someone else or switching to range ammo, plenty of instances where a round can be chambered numerous times.

thats my thought. range ammo swap out. I have a mag full of ammo I decided will be my defensive ammo. i swap it out with other stuff when I range trip.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
There is no magic number

Some chambers depending on tolerances, can be shorter, and different ammo has different lengths.

Take a pair of calipers to brand new ammo, then measure the round in question.

FredJ has posted a number, hopefully he will be by soon, but I think the thought is if the cycled round is more than .030 smaller, its time to toss it.

Me personally, I will only cycle it 2 or 3 times before it goes in the spare carry mag, or into the range pile.

I also shoot and replace my carry ammo atleast twice a year.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do pull the slide off every two weeks to blow the fuzz and crap out of it

I top the mag off with ejected shell, or it becomes the #2 round.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
If its being unloaded and loaded that many times at home then it is in just my opinion so take it as such please.. Being played with too much. I see no reason to unload my carry or HD rounds unless I am shooting range ammo.
Since I dry fire and do draw practice a couple days a week and occasionally shoot my carry at the range mine gets unloaded 2-3 times a week. Occasionally I will go get a different gun to practice with but the safe is upstairs and my carry is already right there in the holster. Generally the round that comes out of the chamber goes in one of my two carry mags somewhere so the same round does not get chambered over and over. Every couple months, those rounds get shot so I doubt any of mine get chambered any more than 2-3 times in a 16 round rotation. I've been doing this for about 7 years now and it works for me.

I have gotten in the habit of lining them up on the edge of the table to compare them every so often but I have yet to see any of the Hydras I carry show any setback.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
As noted, there is no magic number, it is gun & ammo specific. SOme rounds, like the 357sig, can setback after just one chambering. Others like the 45acp, several. Compare your chambered round w/ a factory new. If it is setback more than 1/16" (0.06"+/-) then it is getting too short. Again depends on caliber. A 45acp can stand more setback than a 9mm or 357sig or 40. Small volumn/high pressure rounds suffer pressure spikes from bullets setting back as little as 0.06" IME. SO keep an eye on it, drop them into the practice box before they get there & after, I would NOT shoot a 40 or 357sig setback further, 9mm std pressure maybe, 45acp, probably. At 0.09" setback, you are just asking for trouble in anything but a bunnyfart target load.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts