Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am trying to figure out what caliber to start with. I hear some .40 pistols don’t have a fully supported chamber and are prone to ruptured cartridges and some do have a supported chamber. Anyone know the story on this with the XD’s? Thanks

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I believe all XD's have fully supported chambers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am trying to figure out what caliber to start with. I hear some .40 pistols don’t have a fully supported chamber and are prone to ruptured cartridges and some do have a supported chamber. Anyone know the story on this with the XD’s? Thanks
GLOCK .40 cal pistols don't have fully supported chambers. XD .40 cal pistols do indeed have fully supported chambers.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Glocks in all calibers have unsupported chamber it causes the biggest problem with the 40S&W because of high chamber pressures. The first split case I ever saw was from a Glock 45GAP. If you reload it is very easy to tell when you have a case fired from a Glock because it requires a special die to remove the bulge in the base. When shooting these cases over and over in Glock pistols the stretches and weakens the base of the case. As a general rule I don't reload cases shot in Glocks because if I don't know how many times they have been fired.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.

Rbstriker, That’s an eye-opening bunch of photos, where did you get them? Take them yourself?

Rgeliske, good info on glocks. I currently don’t reload, tried it a few times with friends gear. If I ever do get into reloading it will be for rifles only. I usually just give the brass to someone who happens to be there tat wants it. That practice will probably stop if I get more into shooting. I don’t do much now. The only weapon I currently poses is a min 14 and that launches the brass into the next zip code so I never get it all back anyway. I never got around to changing the gas bushing to reduce that. My homemade brass catcher gets too many laughs to use much and it tends to annoy people. It is basically an old photographer pro tripod with a curtain on a rod clamped to it. Have to use a professional type tripod as they go to over 6 feet high. Weigh the thing down with rocks on the curtain where it hits the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts