Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
I tried there before, data is for gold dot HP and lead RN

Benny, you might want to shoot Hodgdon an email. You could probably use the Start Charge for the Gold Dot, but they are a good bit different in construction. Different enough that Hodgdon should have provided data for a copper jacketed bullet. ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Benny, you might want to shoot Hodgdon an email. You could probably use the Start Charge for the Gold Dot, but they are a good bit different in construction. Different enough that Hodgdon should have provided data for a copper jacketed bullet. ;)
Thanks, I will. I don't like trying Hp data for RN

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Thanks, I will. I don't like trying Hp data for RN

It's okay for Start Charges, but technically, the Gold Dot is a plated bullet and has different friction characteristics than copper jacketed. More data providers (mostly the powder companies) are listing the Gold Dot but they shouldn't omit copper jacketed data. ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just use the start load data for the gold dot and work up watching for signs of excessive pressure.

don
I called hodgdon and the tech told me the gold dot data is fine for FMJRN,
I'm going to load 5 round each starting at the min and work my way up and see how they work

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I called hodgdon and the tech told me the gold dot data is fine for FMJRN,
I'm going to load 5 round each starting at the min and work my way up and see how they work
I'm hoping to start the same project tomorrow...looking forward to seeing your results! I picked up 10lbs during a package Graf's was running, so I've got big hopes for this stuff ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm hoping to start the same project tomorrow...looking forward to seeing your results! I picked up 10lbs during a package Graf's was running, so I've got big hopes for this stuff ;)

You may beat me too it! My surgeon said no shooting for another three weeks. I will post my results anyway!!!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I just got back from testing three loads with xtreme plated 124g bullets. Fired out of XDm 5.25. I'm looking for gaming and plinking loads, minor PF, so on the light side is good.

I loaded 5.0, 5.2 and 5.4. 10 each, but then had around 30 of 5.0 because I was confident they would work and I wanted to see how follow ups felt. I was happy with all loads and decided on the 5.0 moving forward with it, except I might work it down a bit and test it further.

Edit, forgot to add that it is a dream to work with, not much different than Silhouette. It did feel a touch snapier, but I'm a fan so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts