Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used this powder?
I found a couple pounds local.
Will be loading 9mm.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Went to the range today and fired some lead reloads using CFE Pistol. Accuracy was excellent and zero leading.
Using 8 grains with 200 gr. lswc was a pretty stout load but functioned well and accurate. 7.7 grain was firm and functioned well. Sorry I could not get the velocities. Also fired some 9mm 125gr. lead from Indiana Bullets with excellent accuracy and zero leading. The powder burned clean with easy gun clean up.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Rico, you know how I feel about True Blue and look for a thread I'll be doing in a few minutes. I have looked at what I can find on CFE Pistol and it looks like a powder I would use. My thought is that Hodgdon wants to compete with Silhouette, but I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe it has Silhouette's performance potential. As far as loading good high velocity standard pressure loads I'm sure it will do fine for that. ;)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
This is one powder I am interested in trying should I find some. The other is BE86 which no one I know has found yet. If anyone has tried that I would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys I can't get away from TB long enough to give it a shot. Someday......

Been shooting TB in this. 9mm RO. In love!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but in case anyone stumbles upon it I did try this Hogden CFE Pistol powder this past week.
In 9mm with a 124 gr Montana Gold bullet seated 1.15 OAL I got the following
3.8 gr averaged 805 giving a PF of about 100 - this did not function the 4" XDs well at all, many stove pipes
5.2 gr averaged 1004 giving a 124 PF and SD's around 10 - function in the same 4" XDs was fine with no problems.
I think the "Copper Fouling Eliminator" is mostly marketing but the powder was reasonably priced ($24) and seemed to work well. There seemed to be less flash and smoke than Alliant Power Pistol but that has worked well for me also

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but in case anyone stumbles upon it I did try this Hogden CFE Pistol powder this past week.
In 9mm with a 124 gr Montana Gold bullet seated 1.15 OAL I got the following
3.8 gr averaged 805 giving a PF of about 100 - this did not function the 4" XDs well at all, many stove pipes
5.2 gr averaged 1004 giving a 124 PF and SD's around 10 - function in the same 4" XDs was fine with no problems.
I think the "Copper Fouling Eliminator" is mostly marketing but the powder was reasonably priced ($24) and seemed to work well. There seemed to be less flash and smoke than Alliant Power Pistol but that has worked well for me also

There's a fairly recent thread still running if you're intersted. Can't remember if it's here or in the Ammo Can section. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was able to get some CFE Pistol. I loaded up 10 rounds of 124gr Rocky Mountain RN plated bullets, new Starline cases and Winchester primers. I used the Hogddon recommended load starting at the low end. fired very well, no difference in accuracy that i noticed. I don't have a chronometer so i have no clue how fast...it went bang and hit the target so it works.
Did the same with 230 gr Berry's in Starline cases and remington primers.
Only fired 10 rounds each so its too early to tell if it really eliminates copper. Doesn't matter really, can't find Universal anywhere so this will work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts