Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I got an AR-15 it would be one of the ones from classicarms.us made by Century Arms with Colt parts.

If I got a Cetme it would be one of the ones from Century Arms.

I guess the thing the AR-15 has going for it is that I can customize it more than I could the Cetme? :confused:

I just want some kind of rifle. If I don't get a rifle, I'm gonna get a revolver, but I already have two handguns. Maybe it would be better to spend 600 on a revolver and save up and get a larger budget for a rifle.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What do you plan on using the rifle for?

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Save up another $300 and get a quality rifle. If you have saved $600, you can certainly save another $200 or $300 and you will be much happier in the end.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you plan on using the rifle for?

Any ol' thing. Target, hunting, SHTF, whatever.

I think I am set on .308 regardless. Maybe I'll just go ahead and get a revolver now and plan for a rifle as a Christmas gift to myself. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
i would save up more, you can simply build a nice to very nice ar15 for $750, by ordering upper and lower seperate and going light on the options.

I would read more about the monkeys at century, before you drop $600 or more, CETME/hkg3/91 etc are neat guns i am actually gonna drive across town this week to go look at a ptr 91.

if you want a $600 rifle you can get a nice nice ak 47.

you can get TWO sks.

I think you will be more happy with a $250 sks than a $600 century anything.

Ill post up some aks if you like that idea. I would reconsider, take a crash course here and get something sooner than latter.

You can order a CMMG striped lower from AIM for i think it was $113 SHIPPED! At gun shows even cheaper closer to $100.

then next month buy a complete upper.

Or buy a complete lower from RRA for $275 or so. then next month order an upper.

this should get you a real big step up in quality for not much more money.

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
good variety of AKs

Centerfire Systems - AK Firearms

$549 bulgarian ak is a good value, you can get this shiped for $20 and transfer to FFL for $20 and have it in your car heading home for jsut a few bucks plus or minus of your $600 budget.

Bulgarian AKSSR-85CPart #AKAGUN-SSR

this saiga AK is only $319, maybe one of the ar experts can chime in how well a century rebuild will shoot i bet its about 2 moa, which is about how well this saiga will shoot, this will not be a jam-o-matic and can be had for the cheaply sum of just $319
Saiga .223 Rifle with Thumbhole Stock

you like the cetme, well if you like .308 check out the saiga .308http://www.centerfiresystems.com/SAI-308TH.aspx
these are both NEW guns not rebuilds. Not built by the angry monkey at century.

only bad part is the mags are not cheap like the cetme/hkg3 mags are.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've been after a rifle (I only own an XD.45 and a Win1300 12ga) and have settled on the savage 93r17fv .17hmr

I wanted a bolt action, 200yrd inexpensive rifle/ammo option. I punch paper, small critters and would like to be able to shoot a tango's eye out at 200yrds :twisted:

.308 was up on my list then price and the fact I shoot at nasty paper targets most of the time bumped it down.

I was after an AK for a while as well but wanted sub MOA.

Really think about what you want, how you will use it and go from there. If you don't 'need' the revolver skip it and buy the rifle and some glass at Christmas.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I saw a CETME at the gun shop a few weeks ago. Don't know the manufacturer but it was pretty rough as far as welds and fittings and such.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I say a CETME Sporter. Those are nice rifles. Around 450-500 I think. The price may have gone up though. Last time I looked was about a year back, but one of my brother's friends says his FFL can get them for cheap.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I would look around. I have seen some Bushmasters and others going for $650 used lately. Look on Indiana Gun Owners in the for sale section.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I had a Century CETME some years back (2003 - 2005). I bought it because it was in my mind, the HK 91 that I wanted at an affordable price. It functioned well, but lacked in quality sooooooooo much. There was a joke on the CETME forum that Century had a team of monkeys assembling the CETMEs. Like I said, it functioned well. But damn, it was inaccurate.

For a low price, you should still be able to get a name brand (read: slightly better quality and better warranty) AR like a Bushmaster. For some reason I am thinging around $750. I am not one of those kool-aid drinkers that thinks you have to have the best and most expensive gear to be worth while. But I tell you what, it helps to do it right the first time. It costs less money in the long run, you will be happier with your purchase, and dare I say, in my case; proud of what I earned through hard work and research.

And just a quick little FYI: I love the lines of the CETME/HK 91 series of firearms so much, that three years later, I have come (kinda) full circle. I am now halfway done paying of my pre-ban, pre-1989 HK 91 with all the goodies included. :D

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The CETMEs I have shot in the past did NOT make me want one! Jam-o-matics that were not accurate and too loud. No thank you.

The AR? Well, I have found the Stag Model 2 for around 750 bucks. Lifetime warranty and it comes with a rear sight and is ready to shoot. Thats NOT alot more than the Century cheapo and I'll bet it gives you less headaches. All Century put-togethers I hear about are a hit and miss thing.

I too looked at those Century and lower brand ARs and they're just too rough and questionable.

Thats alot of money to gamble on....save a tad more and step up to the Stag at the least.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It is prettymuch a given that anything that rolls out of Century Arms is going to be a real P.O.S.!!! I have had at least three of their G3/Cetme clones in my hands and none of them would cycle a mag without a FTF, FTE. When they did cycle, accuracy was a miserable 5-6MOA. Their AR's are not much, if any better.

You can buy a really nice AR for just a little more than the $600 you have saved now ($750-800). If you have your heart set on a .308, particularly a semi-auto, I would stongly advise against the CETME. The PRT91 rifles have an excellent reputation for quality, reliability and function. You can pick one up for $899 from CDNN that includes a case, mags, etc. You can probably even find one a little cheaper on GunBroker.

Just whatever you do...Don't Get Anything From Century Arms!!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
If you want a .308, in a G3 style. Save up and get a JLD PTR-91. TRUST ME!!!!

What he said! Yes it costs more. Might even cost you $1000. But it will function right and shoot straight. The CETME is NO BUENO! Fun to look at, but thats about it. Learn from my mistake.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Wow man...that is the most gorgeous thing i've seen all day!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts