Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with a CETME (preferrably Century) PM me, I need a picture of the bolt position when there is a live round in the chamber.

I purchased one today and don't think mine is quite right....

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
A friend in TX took his apart and got it back in upside-down as I recall lol

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well....I just bought this today, brought it home, tried to chamber a round and saw that the round didn't appear to go all the way in....there was about 1/4" exposed (didn't look like it did on a closed bolt with no round).

I stripped it down pretty easily via some online tutorials and tried dropping a round into the breach by hand to see if it seat %100....it doesn't.

My question is this....is the .308 round supposed to be %100 in the barrel (minues the rim for extraction)? Mine are only about 1/2 to 3/4 supported by the barrel. Is that normal?

·
Registered
153 Posts
You do know that your CETME is .308 right?

OTherwise, hell no that's not normal, or at least I cannot imagine it being normal...

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It says .308 on the recivever and the rounds im trying to feed via mag and via by hand all say .308 and 7.62x51 and neither seem to be working.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
OI!
when you drop in the round can you push it on in with very little effort? My FAL had the same prob but it was just a brand new gun, needed to be worked a little bit. If you can't push it in then you got something seriously wrong with the chamber or maybee the throat.
Make triple double triple sure you've got the right ammo.
DO NOT SLAM THE BOLT CLOSED ON IT IF YOU CAN'T PUSH IT IN BY HAND!!!
( I think the Century monkeys got him )

·
Registered
153 Posts
OK, Ok, just sorta asking again to be sure. I'd say have your CETME checked by a gunsmith before doing anything else.

I'm by no means a CETME expert, but I'm pretty certain that exposed .308 case is a No Shoot situation in any gun. Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe there's something unique to CETMEs but yeah.

Almost all CETME's from what I've read do require a little love by a smith to get running well. Bonus is that once you get them running well they shoudl run and run...

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries on asking if I was sure it was .308;) That was my first step lol....

I can't push it in anymore by hand then what it goes in when dropped in.....I don't understand it, I bought it used from a well known dealer in the area.

Century is getting a phone call first thing Monday A.M. from me. I'm told they back their products rather well. I don't mind a little tinkering for the price I paid and the amount of mags I got!;)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Have you locked the charging handle to the rear, loaded a magazine and "slapped" the charging handle so that it flies forward?

Guns don't like to be 'babied' (this is the main cause for the 'bolt hold open' in AKs with new fire control groups).

Run it like it's supposed to be run and don't 'baby' it. You will not hurt the rifle in any way, and if something gets stuck, this design allows for easy recovery.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Find some 7.62NATO (not .308 ) ammo and try again, load 2 rounds in the mag and let the bolt fly...

Now, the problem could be many things from the barrel being out of time, the bolt head being ground down too far...

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Find some 7.62NATO (not .308 ) ammo and try again, load 2 rounds in the mag and let the bolt fly...

Now, the problem could be many things from the barrel being out of time, the bolt head being ground down too far...
.308 Winchester and 7.62 Nato are dimensionally identical externally.

Cetme/G3 barrels aren't 'timed', they're pressed in until the bolt gap is at the minimum specification when used with the smallest rollers.

ETA: Century doesn't press anything. They just weld the barreled trunnion from cut up Cetmes directly to their new US made receiver. This is one reason they grind the bolt and bolt carrier.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have Hornady .308 as well as South African 7.62x51 and both give me the same result. I have tried to manually drop a round into the breach and it doesn't go in hardly at all (the majority of the case is un-supported). It feels like it's going in up to the shoulder (where the bottle neck is) only.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Unload ur weapon and take aprt the reciever. Witha light, check the chamber of the weapon. I believe u said u bought it used? The rifles are known for tearing apart commerical .308 shell casings while extracting them. The bolt will then force the next round as far down the chamber as it can go through the remains on the previous shell casing. If this is the case with ur rifle, u will need to purchase a broken shell extractor for it. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a good idea, looking here in a few

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You my friend are a genius.....i pulled her a part and what did I find? A broken shell in the chamber!

Looking for an extractor as we speak.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
You my friend are a genius.....i pulled her a part and what did I find? A broken shell in the chamber!

Looking for an extractor as we speak.
As previously noted, you'll need one if you plan on shooting commercial ammo in it.

The thin casings can't handle the violent extraction process, as the NATO ammo can (it has thicker case walls).

Do yourself a favor and try to find a broken case extractor for a 30.06. This will then work for any .30 caliber round you may shoot (.308, 7.62x39, etc).

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Nice....glad to hear your problem has been solved. We need to see pics when you get her up and running.

I don't think I'll be able to make it down to Cincy for the show today but thanks for the invite....I don't even think I'll be making to the Circeville show either.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
As it would seem that you have already found your problem already let me give you a a bit of a warning about Cetmes.

I have been told to avoid using Commercial grade 308 in a Cetme. Only use military grade 7.62x51 in your rifle. While its the same size relatively speaking commercial grade 308 ammo is loaded to higher pressures then military grade ammo. Cetmes are hard on ammo cases so dont plan to reload as the cases will be dinged up when they exit. I have been told that military grade ammo has stronger cases then commercial grade.So what happens is that the way the action works on a Cetme its not uncommon for commercial grade ammo to be snatched in half and leave part of the shell casing in the chamber because of the thinner caseing and the higher pressures that commecial ammo is loaded to .

I would have to say that I would bet money that the broken shell is more then likely from commercial grade 308 ammo casing.

Last once you do get the shell out let me reinterate what was previously said when loading the Cetme pull the action back and let it fly home as thats the only way to make sure that the round is fully chambered. Unlike with other rifles the Cetme is not a rifle that you can quietly load.

Dont forget that you must post pictures or it did not happen.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I bought some South African nato ammo and plan to use that exclusively. That might be why I got it for such a good price (the gun), maybe the guy wasn't up on guns and thought he's offload his lemon to me.

I will be posting pictures as soon as I et it fixed and re-assembled. I also plan on adding the HK91 collapsable stock (from cdnn). Is anyone %100 sure that the HK91 stock is interchangeable to a CETME or will I have to bore out the holes on the stock or reciver to get them to match?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Thanks for all the advice! I bought some South African nato ammo and plan to use that exclusively. That might be why I got it for such a good price (the gun), maybe the guy wasn't up on guns and thought he's offload his lemon to me.

I will be posting pictures as soon as I et it fixed and re-assembled. I also plan on adding the HK91 collapsable stock (from cdnn). Is anyone %100 sure that the HK91 stock is interchangeable to a CETME or will I have to bore out the holes on the stock or reciver to get them to match?
The stock is fully interchangeable.

The recoil spring retainer, however, is not.

Part #54 from a G3/HK91/PTR91 stock assembly will have to be reduced in diameter to function in the Cetme. Everything else is fully interchangeable.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts