Springfield XD Forum banner

Century M74, took a chance

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JBubbs 
#1 ·
And so far I'm not disappointed. Only ran two mags through it at 25 yards yesterday but it grouped as well as I could have asked. Did have to move the front sight pretty far to the left, not sure if that's a common thing or not but the FSB looked straight to my eye for what that's worth. While I was there I saw a guy shooting a Sig 320 and asked him about it. He was nice enough to let me run a mag through it and I returned the favor with the AK. He had never shot an AK before and I could tell it definitely made his day. As for the 320, it shot well. I would say it shot a hair low or right to the front dot at 7 yards and the slide didn't lock after the last round, I also caught that it didn't lock for the owner as well at least once. Not sure if the slide stop was in a bad spot for my thumb or what. He called it a Glock killer, there's no way it would replace my 19 or 17 but to each his own.

Back to my new AK, I was very happy to see decent wood and not that terrible plastic I've seen on some from the factory. I was half expecting it and looking at options, almost ordered some before I got the gun but patience won. I am a little concerned about heat, even after two mags the wood was cooking a bit. It did come with a zig zag brake and while I let the Sig guy shoot it I didn't notice it being loud at all, especially compared to the guy on my right with a ported 686. Here's a couple photos, might try and get a pic of the front sight tonight and see if you guys think something might be off.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
she looks nice, hope you enjoy it!

#5 ·
Congrats, looks great!

#9 ·
she looks like a fine specimen sir...excellent wood on it

CAI has a rep for crooked front sight blocks...if you can get it dialed as-is, kudos...if not hit up one of the AK Forums and ask around about re-pinning...

How do you like the Magpul Grip on it? Thinking of using one on the next Saiga Conversion I am working up

#11 ·
It's zeroed at 25 so as long as it shoots straight at 100 I won't bother with it, just shoot it. The Magpul grip is nice, have a US Palm on my Saiga and they're both solid. Never liked the feel of a standard AK grip, I'd recommend either.

#12 ·
Got back to the range last night but only had time to put one mag through at 100 yards. They're doing some berm work so I had nowhere to hang a target but I could still hang steel, their 10 inch plate was easy so I took a chance on my 22lr target. Only took 2 shots at it and hit it both times. To my surprise the 5.45 didn't even dent it! It's a 3/8 AR500 "IPSC" silhouette, 8 inches tall and 5 wide. I have only used it with 22's but now I might try 5.56 too, the real problem for me at 100 is actually seeing it. Think I'm going to spray paint it a bright color and next time I'll remember to wear clear eye pro. Ammo used is 60grn Silver Bear and the Tapco G2 trigger doesn't seem as nice as the one in my Saiga but this rifle is really fun to shoot!

#15 ·
When you start looking into accessories, red dots are great on AK platforms. My AK47's benefit greatly from a red dot. The 74's are much flatter shooting and probably are a little more accurate than the 47. With a red dot I can shoot out to about 200 yds with confidence.
Again, sweet new gun. Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it.

P.S. - If you can find some, pick up some 7n6 ammo. Import was banned not too long ago, but you can still find it. Those have a soft steel core, and better penetration than standard lead core. Good stuff to pack away for a rainy day (if you know what I mean):wink: I still see the sealed cans of them for sale often, and the prices aren't too bad yet.

#16 ·
When you start looking into accessories, red dots are great on AK platforms. My AK47's benefit greatly from a red dot. The 74's are much flatter shooting and probably are a little more accurate than the 47. With a red dot I can shoot out to about 200 yds with confidence.
Again, sweet new gun. Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it.

P.S. - If you can find some, pick up some 7n6 ammo. Import was banned not too long ago, but you can still find it. Those have a soft steel core, and better penetration than standard lead core. Good stuff to pack away for a rainy day (if you know what I mean):wink: I still see the sealed cans of them for sale often, and the prices aren't too bad yet.

I had a TRS with a side mount on my Saiga, I'll give it a try. As for the 7n6, I've thought about it and I still find the cans for about $200 but I really don't want to run corrosive ammo. Maybe for a rainy day as you said but not for plinking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.