Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Competitive Edge Dynamics CED8000 timer. While I have never had another timer and, therefore, have no standard for comparison, this time rates an “A” in my book. It is simple to use, has many desirable features and is easy to read in bright sunlight. It has performed flawlessly and the manual is pretty good to boot. It quickly and firmly clips to my belt when in use. The case and hinge are very sturdy so having it open when operating is really not a concern.

Some of the key features are:

• Easy-to-read illuminated LCD display
• Memory Recall / storage and unlimited shot record & review function

• Programmed NRA Bianchi, PPC and Field Shooting events
• Split time recorded and shown for all shots fired
• Custom PAR allows single or multiple time settings with variable delay intervals
• Combined Comstock function (programmable up to 199.9 sec.)
• Low-battery indicator
• Power down mode (after 30 min. of non-use)
• Input jacks for airsoft or stop plates
• Auxiliary jacks for earphone (included) and external horn
• Low frequency buzzer
• Convenient steel belt
• High impact plastic housing, blue. 3¾" (9.5cm) long, 3½" (8.9cm) wide, 1½" (3.2cm) high w/display closed
• 8.6 oz
• Padded Cordura carrying case and instruction booklet
• Uses one 9 volt, alkaline battery (not included).

If you are interested, you can download the operations manual at the CED site. (http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object413) You can buy it for $149 through several of the internet vendors including Brownells who sold me mine.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Someday I'll have to get a timer. I would rather shoot alone or with a buddy, than compete with a group (not fond of crowds, 4 people make a crowd in my book). The timer will let me judge my own skills without peer review. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Paladin,

Have you used the included earplug yet?

Is the mic sensitive enuf to pick up the sound of dry firing?

I want to buy one of these little guys, but I need something to push me over the edge. Dry firing in the garage and not having the whole family wounder what the beeping noise is would be a plus.

TIA,

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
IDPA club has one. Nice but the damn thing sure is a battery hog. Only last for a match and s half. Sure like the display. Haven't tried the ear plug.
My personal one is the CED Pocket Pro. Works great and is battery friendly.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
cjt50 said:
Paladin,

Have you used the included earplug yet?

Is the mic sensitive enuf to pick up the sound of dry firing?

I want to buy one of these little guys, but I need something to push me over the edge. Dry firing in the garage and not having the whole family wounder what the beeping noise is would be a plus.

TIA,
According to their description can be used with air soft :?
Might be an option for silent?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies folks!!

I'm looking up at the edge as you guys have helped push me off. :D

Thanks for the info, All I gotta do is find my credit card and complete my Brownell's purchase.

Looking forward to the brown truck pulling up!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used my CED8000 for RO'ing a local USPSA match this weekend. It worked great and people that used it seemed to really like it. Certainly they liked the large readout and the dual start and review buttons. We started using another brand of timer and it ate three 9-volt batteries in about two hours. I suspect there was something wrong with that particular unit but the CED8000 performed like a champ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We had some of these timers at the Area 6 USPSA match. The one I was using was resetting itself after I ran one string. After having to reshoot a GM on the Super Squad, I decided to go with a different timer. I think we had a couple of the CED 8000's go bad, but I am not sure of the number. The ones that worked, worked great from what I heard from other RO's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts