Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run several miles a day and from time to time do a fair amount of hiking. I live in the communist state of Illinois and have my CCW license. On a normal day, I carry with one of Gavin's holsters and I love it!

However, I am wondering if anyone carries while running, hiking, riding a motorcycle (which I also ride almost daily). If so, what do you use?

I know some are against "fanny packs", though companies like 511 have what looks to be a nice one.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Went hiking today, used my usual setup for my Kimber CDP Pro, IWB in a crossbreed super tuck with a wilderness tactical belt. I almost always carry two spare mags in blackhawk mag carriers when I am out and about.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Sounds like a fanny pack holster would be an ideal solution, especially for jogging. I also have a Maxpedition Jumbo, which would be good for hiking.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I hike and bike, depending on what I am wearing, and the weather, I use different set-ups...for hiking I can typically use a simple Galco "In-the waistband" holster that is adjustable and has a belt clip to help secure it, it's simple and effective...for biking I use a belly band so I can dress light and still conceal. That said, I have not found the perfect set-up yet...still looking for that.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I second for the fanny pack.
Jogging creates a lot of aggressive up and down movement that would make it hard to hold a handgun in a traditional IWG/OWB holster. Especially given the clothing one would be wearing while jogging.
Fanny pack with the pouch swung around to the side would be the best option. Because if it is positioned in the front or back it would be more likely to bounce up and down with the body.
To the side is almost like the pivot point of your body.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In general fanny packs scream GUN to most people who would be on the lookout for a CCW. Now you may think that's good, or bad, and that's your call.

But, I like something slightly more subtle if invisibility isn't possible due to my attire. For that reason I prefer an Uncle Mike's Gun Pak Belt Pouch Uncle Mike's - The Leader in Shooting Accessories to a "Fanny Pack".

It's not terribly fast, but it is less obvious and draws less attention.

There are some new holster systems designed to be worn under the lightest clothing, that I'm not that familiar with. Like the pistol wear models mentioned in an earlier post. They appear to be updated versions of the thunderwear and bellyband holsters which have been around for decades.

I'd give those a look too.

/c

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Keltec p380 on the food pouch of a water bottle belt.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Jogging I carry in a belly band. Hiking just like any other day, IWB Hidden Hybrid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts