Springfield XD Forum banner

To Mount or Not to mount...a light that is..

• CCW Weapon Mounted Light

• CCW No Weapon Mounted Light

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The long and short of the matter is finally decided what holster i want, problem is that i need to tell them to mold it with TLR-3 weapon light for my XD 9mm Subcompact or not. I want the light, but i dont know if i NEED the light for Home Defense (heard it was best to have separate light so bad guys point at it and not you). So Guys i'm under a serious time crunch..so please just "shoot it straight" with advice. Do you have weapon mounted light for your ccw and why or do you advise against it and why.

Again..thanks for any rapid reply...Please Help!!...I want to be and Asset not a liabilty...(meaning tacticool with no purpose)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I carried a TLR-1 on my Glock as a LEO for years and loved it for how we operated and needed it. But If you’re going to carry one I might stop to wonder why you would need it, I mean it's your right to carry and it's your right to have it, but it's just a question I have. Are you out at night that would require you to carry one? As LE that’s a question you’re going to be asked if the matter ever arises!

Weapon & Tactical Light Holster w/Paddle :: Holsters w/Tactical Light :: Blade-Tech Industries

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question however the answer is also a good one...and its "you never know".

Simply put I guess what i'm trying to say is that I don't go looking for trouble and I'm extra cautious at night, but the fact of the matter is predators "usually" or more active at night..or low light conditions and as an LEO its my guess that to some extent you would agree. Granted there are nutjobs that don't care time of day, location, or anything... Again I don't want to be one one those Tacticool Liabilities...and i see and agree with your observation.

Thanks for you input any more would be great! Your insight is always welcomed...don't hold back..i would prefer to think about those question here versus in a fraction of a sec as to why did i get this...or not buy that..lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
I vote no because do you really think if when you have to pull your weapon on someone are you going to have time to even turn it on? If its like my laser sight in my Signature you have to manually switch it on... you really think in a situation when you will be required to pull your gun would you think about the light? Most likely no I wouldn't even think about is my laser on or not.... I understand yours is the light to but to me the same thing would apply. If you pull your weapon you need to make sure you plan on shooting. Just my thought

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the more points you guys help me see..i agree...i'm leaning toward separate pen light for EDC in pocket (small enough for jeans like streamlight micolight or stylus pro) and good separate flashlight for HD..for the bad guys to look at instead of looking at me directly

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'll go against the grain, and say why not? As humans in a modern society, we are almost always in buildings, parking lots, and shelters. It is also dark outside half of the time, and all of the time, you will be responsible for what you shoot. I would much rather forget to use my light in a day light shooting, than not have the option to light up a shadowy figure.

edc, since January. I carry it all day, always shoot, dry fire practice with the light attached, then, at the end of the day, put that same gun/ light combo on my nightstand. Nothing new to consider if there is a bump in the night, as the gun is my edc, and I know it very well.

The only real consideration if you decide to carry with the light attached is that you will need a seperate flashlight for just general use. I don't use my gun to look for change under my car seat.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
For LE, yeah, makes a lot of sense, they carry OWB though. For CCW, too much gun for me to EDC. SO a gun, IWB, separate light if you feel the need at night. A good set of NS is a bonus w/o a light IMO. If you can see the threat, you can get really good hits to even 25yds.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
I prefer an ancillary hand held tactical flashlight for a variety of reasons. Cheif among them, I don't have to point my gun at whatever I'm illuminating.

Additionally most self defense shootings occur at "bad breath distance" where a weapon mounted light is going to do you about as much good as tactical toilet paper.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would suggest heading out to the range and trying a few various drills. If your range doesn't allow this, just run them dry at home.

Work around various pieces of cover and in numerous positions. What you will probably find is that you will be able to shoot better with more control with a weapons mounted light. You will also find that there are still situations in which a separate handheld is better. It will allow you to use the light at a different angle than your gun and at times will allow you better use of cover (think shooting over cover in those situations in which you have to)

Of course you will still need the handheld for all the mundane tasks (dropped keys, digging through the trunk, etc) as well as simply searching where it is not appropriate to draw your pistol.

There is always the argument of "point your pistol at everyone to ID them" but with proper training this is a nonissue. The current crop of pistol mounted lights are bright enough and have more than enough throw to use the spillover light to identify someone and see their hands, waist and pockets without pointing the center of the beam right at them.

You can also always bounce the light off of walls or the ceiling to illuminate a room as well.

Honestly my suggestion no matter which way you decide to seek out some quality low light/no light instruction. You will be able to clearly see (sorry for the cheesy pun) to pros and cons of each and more importantly how they compliment each other.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I prefer an ancillary hand held tactical flashlight for a variety of reasons. Cheif among them, I don't have to point my gun at whatever I'm illuminating.

Additionally most self defense shootings occur at "bad breath distance" where a weapon mounted light is going to do you about as much good as tactical toilet paper.
The bad breath distance thing reminds me of another good aspect of carrying with the light attached. One can force the handgun into the badguys body making contact before firing as the light protrudes out past the muzzle of most pistols. This gives you a better chance that your semi auto will cycle do to the offset caused by the light. Most semi autos become single shots at contact distances.

·
Registered
29,876 Posts
As for making yourself a target--take a low light class, and find out exactly how well your dark-adapted vision functions after being popped with a high-lumen light.

I have both a weaponlight on my HD pistol and a hadnheld standing by as well...different tools for different jobs. One can get by with just a handheld, yes...but having an attached weaponlight can be darn handy.

For carry...I don;t, but get it why some people like the idea.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Don't think of it as a moving target for bad guys, how will you know it is a "bad guy" if you can't see it?

You will find that most of the cons listed so far are taken care of with proper training.
There are incidents where trained, experienced LEO's have shot people and objects unintentionally because they were trying to "light them up" for identification.

Personally, I have one but don't really use it because the chance is still there to shoot an unintended target. To each his own, but that's my $.02.

·
Registered
449 Posts
For general carry, I'd vote no, but that's just me. I have a light on my bedside gun and for around the house in the dark I think it's a great idea. I often carry a separate flashlight if I'm out and about at night but for me it's not about looking to ID the BG. If there is a threat and I'm forced to use my gun, the BG will be close, otherwise, I'm going in the opposite direction - quickly. Lastly is the holster problem. I do have a holster for my HK 45c with light but it's not very comfortable (Raven). I'd rather gun and flash separate unless it's my LCP which has a laser on it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
There are incidents where trained, experienced LEO's have shot people and objects unintentionally because they were trying to "light them up" for identification.

Personally, I have one but don't really use it because the chance is still there to shoot an unintended target. To each his own, but that's my $.02.
True. But again there we are talking about using the center of the beam of a weapon mounted light to ID a threat. If you are using the spill or bouncing light off a wall or ceiling that isn't an issue.

And remember we still have the handheld to use as well.

Also that is generally caused by officers using their trigger fingers to operate the light. Using your support hand thumb will help to mitigate that risk as well.

·
Registered
727 Posts
For general carry, I'd vote no, but that's just me. I have a light on my bedside gun and for around the house in the dark I think it's a great idea. I often carry a separate flashlight if I'm out and about at night but for me it's not about looking to ID the BG. If there is a threat and I'm forced to use my gun, the BG will be close, otherwise, I'm going in the opposite direction - quickly. Lastly is the holster problem. I do have a holster for my HK 45c with light but it's not very comfortable (Raven). I'd rather gun and flash separate unless it's my LCP which has a laser on it.
One thing to keep in mind is that a bright light will generally deter a threat. Not in the "blind him with lumens" advertisement BS but simply scanning an area if you get that feeling that something isn't right. That alone could be enough to make someone looking for a soft target to move on.

Also remember that leaving isn't always going to be an option (or the best option). Coming home late at night and there is someone already by your door when your family is inside, just one example.

And even if you are presented with a threat and deal with him you will want to scan the area for his buddies. Or yet another example is that same threat and he decides to engage you while you are creating that distance. Making even a 10 yard shot with low light/no light can be challenging at best.

Also don't let the laser keep you from carrying a light. Although that allows you to index your sights you will still need to ID the threat.

Great thread with a lot of ideas and different points of view guys.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would suggest everyone have a good quality light on whatever weapon they keep for HD.

Are you forced to only run the TLR3 due to have a subcompact gun? I know of a few guys that have had to send their back several times with issues. Just something to keep in mind.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts