Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking out packing.org (very informative to a new person) and was wondering about how the 'reciprocity' and 'honors' CCW works.
I live in MI and possibly will be traveling to FL about once a month for business and such. I see that every state, including FL, has "Reciprocity" with MI. How does this work? Can I carry while driving through and possibly staying (a night or two) in these states with no problems?
I also have a question about IL. The map says they "Honor" a MI permit. What's the difference, if any?

My other question is that of actually concealing the gun. I believe it said that you Can Open carry in MI. Does that mean I don't have to worry about 'printing'? (Hopefully I'm using correct terms here)
How hard is it to conceal, say an XD9 Tactical? Would I be better served to stick with something smaller, like the Service model? or have two separate guns? One for shooting, one for CC.
Also, not sure how much I would actually carry, so it may be a moot point.
Thanks for any and all replies!
TH

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Illinois or Indiana?

to my knowledge (and i just checked packing.org to back me up) IL doesn't allow anyone to carry but LEO. The do not reciprocate or honor any other state's ccw permit.

If Indiana, then that means you can carry on your permit in Indiana even though Indiana residents can't carry in your state. You do need to follow Indiana state law when travelling there so make sure you know the law before you travel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aiformula said:
Illinois or Indiana?
to my knowledge (and i just checked packing.org to back me up) IL doesn't allow anyone to carry but LEO. The do not reciprocate or honor any other state's ccw permit.
If Indiana, then that means you can carry on your permit in Indiana even though Indiana residents can't carry in your state. You do need to follow Indiana state law when travelling there so make sure you know the law before you travel.
Oops! :roll: You're right. Yeah, I really know my geography. LOL
Thanks for the answer. I thought that's what it meant, but wanted to check to make sure.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
THauch said:
My other question is that of actually concealing the gun. I believe it said that you Can Open carry in MI. Does that mean I don't have to worry about 'printing'?
There may be a legal perspective and a practical perspective. On the practical side, if you're carrying concealed, keep it concealed. While concealed carry with a permit is legal in Michigan, "printing" or otherwise accidentally revealing a concealed pistol can lead to more attention that what you really want to deal with (which is part of the reason why I haven't submitted the application for a CPL).

To be honest, I am not certain which way the current legal wind is blowing regarding Open Carry. I know that if walked through my neighborhood in suburban Detroit with my XD on my hip, I would likely invite a visit from the Westland PD, which is more hassle than I currently need.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
aiformula said:
Illinois or Indiana?

MI excepts everyone permit so you can carry here too.
Yes you can carry all the way to Florida :D Do it every year on vacation.
Open carry is legal but in Mi. law you can never enter a car.So if it is walking distance maybe but expect to be harassed because it isn't common practice.No loaded weapons in vehicle without cpl!
Service is well suited for carry and comp. 8)

·
Registered
33 Posts
keep in mind, you can't have a gun in your car while traveling thru Chicago IL. They are very GUN UNFRIENDLY! The only way you can is if you have proof you are going to a gun related event in Indiana or something of that nature. I am not kidding, i just took my CCW class and the instructor specifically stated this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The way reciprocity works is you have to obey the law in each state as you're passing through. So, plan your route, make a list of the states, and then go to packing.org (great site!) and print out the list of Do's and Don'ts for each state. Take that with you for reference. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I carry a Tact .40 on occasion as my CCW. It certainly takes more effort to conceal than my sub XD, but it isn't a lot different than carrying a full size 1911 as far as concealment goes.

I've wondered the same thing about open carry in MI. I know that it is legal, but I've never tried it. I'm guessing that it would be more trouble than it is worth in most places. As far as using it as an excuse to print ... that also would most likely lead to a lot more attention than I'd like to recieve.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
While in Florida, you can carry concealed with your MI permit.
There is no open carry here, so make sure you cover it up well.
I carry my HS 2000 periodically in the winter. FIST #8 belt holster under an untucked hawiian shirt...doing my best Magnum PI impression!
Have fun and spend lots of money while you're here! :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Honors means that 1 state honors that the other's CCW license because it meets their requirements to do so (background check, training, etc.) This is not necessarily so in the other direction.

Reciprocal means that the 2 states have a formal agreement with each other and either license is valid in either state (works in both directions). Usually this is on their AG website and easily verified (also the safest way to insure that you won't be arrested) :)

An example is that many states "honor" the Oregon CCW license. However, NO other state's CCW license is recognized by Oregon. Obviously there are no formal recipricol agreements.

Hope that helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts