Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So still waiting on my permit and in the mean time having 2nd thoughts about my choice on hand guns and ccw. With so much gear needed to purchase off the Internet and no easy how to guide wondering how to make over the wardrobe to best conceal? I have 1 holster that seems very nice but also ordered the crossbreed holster and belt combo which may take 2 or more weeks to get.

At home I tossed my holster and gun on and immediately thought wow that sticks out like a sore thumb. Granted I could probably do a wally walk and not be noticed but only because the general public doesn't pay attention. I know guys at the range will even sometimes carry a full size 1911 but they also usually have a large untucked shirt on. I already wear a X X shirt and need a long for my torso size.

So what suggestions do people have for wardrobe updates? I may eventually carry a smaller or single stack but for the short term I would like to make the XDm compact 3.8 9mm work before I run out and buy a deringer. Lol. Kidding but someone that doesn't carry joked about carrying one.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I wear a XX shirt, and have no trouble with dark colored or patterned polo shirts not tucked, and shorts or pants, with an IWB AlienGear and XDM 3.8. Actually here in the summer, Hawaiian shirts are perfect.
As another member mentioned, if someone questions you, look embarrassed and say it is your colostomy bag.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
What type of Shirts do you have?
* Light Colors or Dark? Light color accentuates shadow lines, while Dark conceals them better.
* Lightweight 'clingy' material, or Heavier material? Heavier material won't show the lines as much as lightweight material. You don't want your shirts 'hugging' your torso.
* Solids or Prints? Prints (stripes, checks, Hawaiian/Mexican prints, etc) break up the shape of the grip, much like camouflage does.

As a quick (oversimplified) example: A black, heavy material, Harley T-Shirt would probably conceal better than a light colored, thin material 'workout' T-Shirt.
(not that you actually have a Harley... Or work out [sorry... couldn't resist] ;) :D)
That should get you started. :)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I always have worn dark colors. But I carried a XDm 3.8 compact for a while in a Alien Gear holster without a problem. That's with a L shirt untucked.

Yes you have to dress a little around the gun, but it's not all that hard to do IMO. Anymore I don't even really think about it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a hard enough time picking clothes besides for thinking about ccw. I normally wear khakis and a polo shirt or long sleeved dress shirt. Beige pants for dress or jeans for casual. working out and if I can lose another 20 lbs I assume that will help. Most shirts are just colored Tommy Hilger or Polo etc. Basically the casual dressy I.T. guy. The plus is that I can sometimes get away with more casual but it's tricky. Maybe there needs to be the ccw section at Nordsroms. Lol. I may stop by the yuppie range as I call it and see how they shop for ccw

I'm sure if I go with a smaller ccw gun it would be easier but I like the 3.8 and most ppl would say one can carry that. I may later decide to do something easier to carry but also figure that if I can carry conceal the 3.8 compact then moving to something smaller would be easy.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
... Basically the casual dressy I.T. guy. T
I'm sure if I go with a smaller ccw gun it would be easier but I like the 3.8 and most ppl would say one can carry that. I may later decide to do something easier to carry but also figure that if I can carry conceal the 3.8 compact then moving to something smaller would be easy.
One of the best ways for an IT guy to carry is put it in a leather portfolio or time manager zip binder. Even a small laptop bag.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't let the ADD I.T. guy put it in something that gets set down or not directly on me. That might be handy for walking out to the car but want it on me. But of course ultimately don't want it to be noticed at all.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If your wearing nice khaki pants with a polo type shirt concealment will be harder than in regular street clothes like a t shirt and jeans. I'd say the tuckable option may work in your benefit although I personally don't like carrying that way. I'd say experiment and see if you can make it work and conceal it reasonably well.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Where are you wearing the holster that a compact sticks out under a 2X long shirt? If 3 o'clock try pushing it back to 4-4:30. If you've got a butt the curve there will push the grip into your love handle.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
First rule for CCW would be to "dress around your gun". If you ordered the Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB carry that means having pants one size larger than needed since you are going to be sticking the gun inside your pants. Just basic common sense there. Also your shirts should be loose fitting and not tight so that the gun will not print.
I carry the XDm 9mm 4.5 in the Supertuck and with the aforementioned items I can easily conceal the gun with my shirt tucked in in jeans and a tucked in T-shirt, khakis and a tucked in polo shirt, or even shorts and a tucked in T-shirt. It takes some practice to get it right and you may need to adjust the clips on the holster for ride depth and cant of the gun to fit to your comfort. There are a number of instructional videos on you tube and the internet to help plus a lot of folks here on this forum.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I always have worn dark colors. But I carried a XDm 3.8 compact for a while in a Alien Gear holster without a problem. That's with a L shirt untucked.

Yes you have to dress a little around the gun, but it's not all that hard to do IMO. Anymore I don't even really think about it.
I also carry an XDm 3.8 compact wearing a FirearmHolster, and also with a T-shirt untucked and have no issues. Been wearing it for about 2 years.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Made some obvious observations between last week and tonight. Last week someone I know was carrying, granted it was a P938 small gun and the person was wearing a dress shirt, but it was big and untucked and by all means you could have stuck a .44 under there and it wouldn't have mattered. Bottom line if you wear a toga, you can hide about anything. :) Ok really basically a baggy enough shirt will cover about anything. But the person I know that was carrying and I couldn't tell one way or the other unless I thought to ask and I didn't (he told me later) He is also quite a bit smaller guy and the clothing he wore seemed to work out very well. I think part of my problem has sometimes historically growing into my wardrobe or then some.

Of course tonight my observation was that he wasn't carrying, but I happened to do the quick look to see but I could tell he was wearing a gun belt. To me it stuck out like a sore thumb saying, "HEY I"M WEARING A GUN BELT" To anyone else in the non-carrying world it would have just looked like a very nice dressy brown belt. And I have one of those now too.

I think the biggest saving grace is that unless you are really bad about trying to conceal or you have someone else that knows what to look for from cc experience, that I should (hopefully) be fine. Some things for me to ponder while I wait for getting the permit and holster and extra belt in the mail...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Made some obvious observations between last week and tonight. Last week someone I know was carrying, granted it was a P938 small gun and the person was wearing a dress shirt, but it was big and untucked and by all means you could have stuck a .44 under there and it wouldn't have mattered. Bottom line if you wear a toga, you can hide about anything. :) Ok really basically a baggy enough shirt will cover about anything. But the person I know that was carrying and I couldn't tell one way or the other unless I thought to ask and I didn't (he told me later) He is also quite a bit smaller guy and the clothing he wore seemed to work out very well. I think part of my problem has sometimes historically growing into my wardrobe or then some.

Of course tonight my observation was that he wasn't carrying, but I happened to do the quick look to see but I could tell he was wearing a gun belt. To me it stuck out like a sore thumb saying, "HEY I"M WEARING A GUN BELT" To anyone else in the non-carrying world it would have just looked like a very nice dressy brown belt. And I have one of those now too.

I think the biggest saving grace is that unless you are really bad about trying to conceal or you have someone else that knows what to look for from cc experience, that I should (hopefully) be fine. Some things for me to ponder while I wait for getting the permit and holster and extra belt in the mail...
You will find that most people don't pay that much attention. When I first started carrying I was sure everyone would know. I soon realized that those that might notice or pay attention are mostly those that are also carrying. Once you have your gun concealed just leave it be. Resist the temptation to constantly feel it or touch it or adjust your shirt or do anything to bring attention to that part of your person and nobody will notice (except maybe some of us who are also carrying).

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
It is common when you first start carrying to think everyone knows or can see that you are carrying. People really don't pay much attention to other people.
Often just tilting the gun holster forward will set the butt more vertical thus being less noticeable.

·
Premium Member
18,059 Posts
I wear mainly patterned (plaid-ish) straight-bottomed untucked button-down shirts from makers like Kuhl or Simms or REI. They all hang well, don't catch on the butt of the gun, and fall naturally from my shoulders. 100% cotton or solid colors or light colors tend to cling or hang up or show shadows around the butt of the gun.

Sent from the county jail.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You will find that most people don't pay that much attention. When I first started carrying I was sure everyone would know. I soon realized that those that might notice or pay attention are mostly those that are also carrying. Once you have your gun concealed just leave it be. Resist the temptation to constantly feel it or touch it or adjust your shirt or do anything to bring attention to that part of your person and nobody will notice (except maybe some of us who are also carrying).
This 100%

I'm 6'2" 200lbs. I EDC a p229 with shorts and a polo. Good gun belt makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Congrats!

You will learn not everyone can see the outline of your gun and not every movement flashes it.
You will learn not everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!"
You will learn that the more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it.
You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts.
You will learn to not tug on the hem of your shirt every 5 minutes to assure yourself you're still concealed.
You will learn to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to.
You will learn to stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place.
You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side.
You will learn to reach overhead with your weak-side hand.
You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend.
You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear.
You will learn to embrace low, to force your counterpart's arms/hands up, away from your piece.

In short, you will learn.

A good gun belt is a MUST. It doesn't have to be thick and heavy - it DOES have to be stiff. I'm using the Blackwawk CQC and it works great for me. I can easily carry/conceal an XD9SC in an OWB paddle under my shirt. I'm a big guy (6'2" and 260), and wear untucked sport shirts all the time. My standard size shirt covers my weapon nicely.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
It is common when you first start carrying to think everyone knows or can see that you are carrying. People really don't pay much attention to other people.
Often just tilting the gun holster forward will set the butt more vertical thus being less noticeable.
^ So true. I have friends who open carry and NO ONE notices them. People are so consumed by themselves and their own issues, they don't pay attention.

So I strap my gun on, put a T-shirt over it, and as long as it is covered, even a slight to moderate print won't be noticed. And even if it is... they will think it is a cell phone or something.

·
Premium Member
18,059 Posts
Very good list! My only comments....

You will learn to stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place..
I don't think I'll be able to stop this move. It's comforting.

You will learn to embrace low, to force your counterpart's arms/hands up, away from your piece.

This is what makes me somewhat uncomfortable about carrying, so this is great advice!

Sent from the county jail.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
it will get easier...the anxiety of it leads to paranoia initially, soon you will learn to adapt and overcome...do not forget a spare magazine in your plans also--I typically carry 2 ;)

You will also amass a sizeable collection of holsters and belts...part of the game

1 - 20 of 27 Posts