Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question but here it goes. Can you get your CCW License without actually owning a gun? I plan to get a XD40 SC at the end of Januaury but the wait period for the license in Georgia is rather long. Just thought I would get a jump on the process before I got my gun.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
riderboy said:
This may be a dumb question but here it goes. Can you get your CCW License without actually owning a gun? I plan to get a XD40 SC at the end of Januaury but the wait period for the license in Georgia is rather long. Just thought I would get a jump on the process before I got my gun.
yes - you can get you CCW permit without actually owning a weapon.

Also, I don't know about a long wait period in Georgia. I heard the same thing when I applied (also in Ga). I got mine in a little less than 3 weeks.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
Most CCW instructors will lend you a gun for the test. If you have to take a test.
OEFM - no test in down here, but good advice for others.

You're allowed up to 5 kills before you have to take a test here. Just kidding (but there's really no test req'd).

·
Registered
27 Posts
jdavionic said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
Most CCW instructors will lend you a gun for the test. If you have to take a test.

You're allowed up to 5 kills before you have to take a test here. Just kidding (but there's really no test req'd).
I must admit that's pretty darn funny :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I was just wondering because I was reading on packing.org and although gwinnett county GA says 60 days, people on the site said it was taking up to 6 months to get the license. Just figured I would go ahead and get started.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
riderboy said:
Thanks guys. I was just wondering because I was reading on packing.org and although gwinnett county GA says 60 days, people on the site said it was taking up to 6 months to get the license. Just figured I would go ahead and get started.
I also live in Gwinnett Co. and heard the same thing. As I say, I got mine much faster.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Different instructors, different methods. I took my class from a retired CHP officer. We spent maybe a half hour in the class room, then went to the range. His thought are, he can teach anyone to pass a test, but he wants to know how we handle ourselves and a weapon on the range.

So we went to the range and blew off about 200 rounds thru 4 various 22 autos. 4 of us in the class. Then we took a little break, and went back and shot a .45 a .40 a 9mm, and a .44 mag.

It was a really fun day. The instructor furnished all the guns, and the ammo. We got to shoot pistols we would have never had the opportunity to shoot, and learned a lot. He covered all the rules and regs. and showed us a lot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
it's funny you brought this up because my buddy got his ccw before he bought his first gun. i thought that was kinda odd but the thing in florida regarding our license is it's in regards to guns and other weapons.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
numbnuts said:
jdavionic said:
one-eyed-fatman said:

I must admit that's pretty darn funny :)
Had me rolling on the floor... :D Dam good laws down there.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I live in Fulton County, it took just over 5 months to get my permit. WHAT a wait, it stunk.

My friend in Gwinnett got his in just over a month.

-stunks

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
WA here... got my permit in 10 days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In Georgia you don't need to take a class to get you license. However, I would like to take a defensive class to know what NOT to do in a hostile situation. Have any of you guys taken these type of classes? If so, could you lead me in the right direction? Maybe jdavionic knows since he's in the Gwinnett area.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ceos55 said:
In Pittsburgh it took me longer to find a parking place! :lol: About 10 minutes.
Well to be fair, the same sheriff's office is where all of the stippers, dancers and cocktail waitresses go to get their work cards so they are pretty backed up. Always makes the wait in line plesant though :wink:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
AZ took about 10 days. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts