Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a recent thread I read that another member felt he couldn't carry in church so I thought I'd start a thread on it rather than hijack. I pretty much live at church and do not yet have a permit due to finances, however my church is covered as a good friend of mine always has his on Sundays as well as may others I know have permits and may or may not be armed. My friend talked to the pastor, who is a good friend of his, and asked him his opinion and He said it made him feel a lot safer. there have been many shootings at churches and i wanted to get some feedback from you all. from a ministers point of view i'd like to know who has my back.

Do you carry to mass, church, synagogue or other religious ceremonies?

Would you consult or inform the Pastor or leader?-- not at first visit mind you lol

just wondering

·
Registered
642 Posts
I believe in some (maybe most) states you are not allowed to carry in church. Then in those you are able to it's up to the church if they allow you or not. I dnt carry in church but if I did I would not tell the pastor unless he came up and asked because he caught a glimpse of my gun

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I dont go to church anymore, but I wouldnt treat it any different than any other place. This is assuming that your state has nothing against carrying in church (I believe I remember seeing that some states do have laws about it. I could be wrong)

I would carry and would not ask permission. If your good friends with the pastor, then it may be different. But then I would be telling him as a friend, not as the pastor.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The state of Nebraska specifically prohibits concealed carry in places of worship.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
I'm between carry guns, but when I had mine I would and I never asked; bad things happen in churches just like everywhere else. I never heard any kind of official stand on guns from my particular church, but just from the number of people I knew who carried I would have felt sorry for anybody who came in to make trouble. I was told one of the previous pastors had received death threats and a member of the congregation (with the appropriate training and experience) was up in the shadows on the catwalk of the auditorium with a rifle keeping an eye on things for a while.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
I carry mine everywhere except on the Job, and that's because I'm at a school. I carry at church every week

·
Premium Member
37,682 Posts
Always carry, now more people in my church do because we had 2 guys high on meth come in during a meeting hold several ladies at gun point and take ones car.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Always.

There are some larger churches that have dedicated security teams. If they're doing their job right, most of the time you won't even know who or where they are.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The only place I don't carry is at the court house......damn metal detectors anyways

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yes I do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I recently changed churches and was looking for the right moment to get the pastors opinion on concealed carry.then my wife was talking about her pink 38 that I got her for valentines day and he jokingly said it was probably in her purse.when she told him it was, he wanted to see it.about a month later he asked if I was carrying too, the wife laughed and said the question is, how many.Anyway, he is glad to have guns in the crowd and says if anything happens he'll draw attention while we do what we need to do.

·
Registered
138 Posts
being in a downtown church with many homeless / drug attics / etc. coming through, my pastor (who I've grown up with and known since I was a kid) when he found out that I and my Dad were getting our CCW requested that we carry, in fact my pastor carries himself.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Here in Michigan you can only carry in church with the church leaderships consent. I am the associate pastor at our church, and the pastor has never come up with a definitative answer about members carrying in church. fortunately we live in a small community, and it is a realitively safe area. However I do anticipate at some point being able to carry in church, and when that time arrives I will most likely carry.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
I had the great fortune of meeting Charl Van Wyk as he came to speak to our church last fall. He is the one who returned fire on a church attack in South Africa. Here's the link. After his talk, I carry to church nearly every Sunday. There's even a silver lining in this tragic story: two of the men involved in the massacre have since turned to the Lord.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I carry all the time except for when I'm at home or someplace it is prohibited. I feel like it would just be my luck to need my piece the one time I was without. I pray to god to never need it, but I don't ever want to need it and be unarmed

·
Registered
179 Posts
Always. Church carry is one of the reasons I got my CCL.

Kansas has no problem with it, my pastors have no problem with it (one carries too). I imagine between CCL's and LEO's there are a dozen or more firearms there at any time.

I work my church 'security team' (not as tacticool as it sounds, LOL) and that was the final straw to make me shell out the bucks and get my license. IIRC there is a course being taught at a seminary in KC that is specifically about church security issues. I was told that the instructor supports and suggests CC in churches.

I suggest that anyone on the fence read "Shooting Back" by Charl Van Wyk. True story about an attack on a church in South Africa by a survivor. Great Christian perspective on the ideas of self defense and faith.

ETA: I didn't see post #17, so I guess I second Van Wyck's book!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here in Michigan, you are only allowed by law to carry in a church IF you have permission from the presiding official. Already, I have 2 friends that carry in church with permission. If our Pastor feels he need further assistance, I would be happy to step up and help.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts