Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member and I have been lurking for a little while.

I have had my CCW for a year now and finally purchased a XD40 2-weeks ago after shooting every gun I could get my hands on.

Since this is my first carry weapon I wanted to get some opinions on carry holsters. I live in FL and usually wear jeans and a polo style shirt, if that matters! I think I prefer the behind the back position too.

I would appreciate any all opinions on your holster experiences.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
N A Rush said:
Since this is my first carry weapon I wanted to get some opinions on carry holsters. I live in FL and usually wear jeans and a polo style shirt, if that matters! I think I prefer the behind the back position too.
Consider belly band/waist band holster such as this one. This may work well for you, depending on your build.

It will allow you to TUCK your shirt in while wearing shorts and polo. Small of back holsters require an untucked shirt, and you are likely to be checking all the time to make sure the shirt has not lifted up after you sat down. The belly band holster is totally inconspicuous.

ppmd

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
the best place to have your carry arm is on your strong side hip. in either an OWB holster or an IWB holster.

SOB(small of back) carry is not recomended and widely looked down upon for its many faults.

belly bands :roll:, dont waste your money. you might as well carry a hammer in one, because you wont be able to access it fast enough in a SHTF situation.

in a life and death situation, speed and tactics will prevail and the fastest and simplest form of carry is on your strongside hip. this is why 99% of competition shooters shoot from strongside hip, because its fast.

^thats my advice, but the best thing you can do is try them all... what works for you is what works for you.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
If you are looking for a rig to wear daily, I can't say enough about Tucker's holsters. The Blade-Tech UCH is another great option. If you are on a budget, the 715-M from Hume will also work, however tucking in your shirt is more tricky with this unit.

Old School

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I carry in a FIST #1 holster. I'd recommend them to anyone. Order through Gunner's Alley for a better price and cheaper shipping.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use a Comp-Tac Pro Undercover when I carry.

http://www.comp-tac.com/

I like it because there's no direct contact between you and your pistol, which will help prevent rusting and the uncomfortable cold metal on bare skin experience.

Also, you can take it off without having to take your belt of and all that crap.

Some people might worry about how stationary it is but its as sturdy as your belt is. While a normal holster will probably stay put better than this one, the holster WILL stay where its supposed too. I drive a smaller vehicle (Chevy Cavalier) so having the option of taking it off in a second or two is really nice.

Plastic can put more wear on your gun's finish but I'd rather have a holster that is comfortable and have some wear on my finish rather than a holster I won't wear but saves my finish.

I would recommend this holster to anyone looking for a IWB holster.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have a Desantis Speed Scabbard for my XD-40 and my 1911 and will soon be ordering one for my new Sig 220.

I really like the way this holster distributes the weight and give you no flopping around - even with the heavy full-sized govt. model or my Hi-Power (which fits in the 1911 holster) it does not seem as heavy as other holsters.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few good opinions! No clear concesious though.

Is this going to be like my choice in gun, where I am going to have to try a ton of them for feel.

As for best carry position, I may worded my choice in position wrong. In the back region better. I remember reading about the FBI recommendation sometime ago but that was before the permit was issued and was a lost point. Now I need to start paying more attention to such and get time on the range since its been 3 years for me now.

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
If you're like most, you'll have a box of holsters before you find the one you really like.
Gun shows are about the best place I know of to find the largest variety if you want to look at some holsters and get some ideas.
They're like anything else, you can pay as much as you want for one and you get what you pay for.
Don't sweat your first holster purchase too bad, there will be more.

Every one of those holster manufacturers mentioned so far makes a fine holster...........see what I mean?

bd

·
Registered
49 Posts
N A Rush,

As you can see, opinions vary depending on mode of carry, build, and largely personal preference.

The most important thing for you is to make sure you get something you like so you will have your weapon on you when you need it. This means comfort AND practicality.

I work in an office type setting, where close personal contact occurs almost every minute of my day. I wear pants and dress shirt / polo shirts to work, and shorts and T-shirt for leisure. To wear an UNtucked shirt is simply not an option at work and is not my style. Any sort of "clip" that shows through on my belt is a dead giveaway - also unacceptable. In the heat of AZ (which I am sure it is similarly hot in FL with added humidity...), anyone caught wearing a jacket is going to be eyed with suspicion. So, the best choice for me is a bellyband. I carry an XD40 SC with a 12 rd spare mag without any problems on a daily basis since my recent purchase of the weapon. I carried something else in the past, also daily.

If you have a large XD, the bellyband may NOT be the optimal choice for you. Good luck to you.

ppmd

1 - 17 of 17 Posts