Springfield XD Forum banner

CCW for "green card holders"

16K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  Stogies 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I was researching how to obtain a CCW in Wyoming, and Found no relevant laws; just this forum as I was reading trough the posts. I saw that some of you are against legal aliens owning, maintaining, or carrying a gun concealed or not.

I am new here and I would like to tell you a little bit about myself: I am originally from Mexico I came here legally with a work permit in the year 2000, and became a permanent resident in 2008. I was not allowed to go to school here between those 8 years because you have to be a permanent resident to go to college (unless you entered with a student visa). I lived in Los Angeles from 2000-2004.

I was walking down the street when two guys boxed me in and showed me a gun, told me to take everything out of my pocket and give it to them. So I did and they left. When I reached the end of the street I saw an LAPD cruiser so I waved them down to let them know that I was just robbed they (there was two of them) drew their fire arms and told me to put my hands over my head interlacing my fingers . When I did they holstered their weapons and searched me. They asked me what happened, and I told them the story and they said we'll look for them. I said yeah they're long gone by now (they held me there for about half an hour).
In 2005 I moved to the beautiful state of Wyoming where I am currently residing. In November I was attacked by a sociopath I had to get restraining orders and face him in court and all the legal procedures that being attack entails. At the end of his sentencing the dude said some pretty strong words. "You'll pay for this." I perceived this as a viable threat and I do fear that he will come back and hurt me or worse my child or wife. I
Checked on ATF laws for purchasing a handgun and they said that legal alien residents can own handguns if the state allows since Wyoming does allow it, I purchased a Ruger P97dc .45 to protect myself and my family. After doing a little research I think I overpaid for it since I bought it at a pawn shop for $543.00, (my first gun obtained on 9/10/11) but I won't put a price on my family's safety. So I paid it without hesitation ( he was released with an unsecured bond because he pleaded innocent to the crime) He served 10 days in jail he would have been out sooner but he was on parole for endangering the welfare of a child and domestic violence.

In 2009 I enrolled at the local community college to get an AS in Computer Science. I’m going to school part time. So it will take me four years to get a two year degree I am really tired all the time since I go to work in the day, school in the evening and do homework at night. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. I will be done by 2013 which is when I can apply for citizenship because you have to be a legal resident for 5 years before you can submit a citizenship application. I think they might wave the test since I took American and Wyoming government and passed it with an A but in any case I would gladly take the citizenship test If needed to since I am fairly positive that I can pass it.
To conclude, I am a legal, law abiding, tax paying, non-voting, resident alien “green card holder.” That just want the best quality of life that I can get through education and hard-work. Now I have two questions for you

1. What is so bad about that?

2. Why should I not be afforded the right to protect myself or my family?

See less See more
#3 ·
I am with you on this, I actually had thread in another forum about that. You would not believe how many locals didn't even know there was such a thing as a LEGAL alien. Half the responses were along the lines off "send them all back to Mexico! USA!!! USA!!!". Kind of sad.

#5 ·
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

It says People, not Citizens.

Every Person has the right to protect themselves and their families from violence.

#6 ·
I am with you on this, I actually had thread in another forum about that. You would not believe how many locals didn't even know there was such a thing as a LEGAL alien. Half the responses were along the lines off "send them all back to Mexico! USA!!! USA!!!". Kind of sad.
Unfortunately increasing this is how the world sees us, low educated ********. Mostly because the jacka** chanting USA, USA is the loudest person in the room. We look at him for who he truly is, a jacka**, they see Americans.

I really hoped you corrected this jerk in the other forum, and reminded him unless he is 100% native American at some point his family was immigrants.

#8 ·
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ccw-talk/165065-should-non-citizens-have-ccw-permits.html

Those are the posts that I was reading and it boiled down to about four opinions

1) They should not be able to carry until they become citizens
2) My state doesn't let me carry and I am a citizen so why should they
3) They are cowards for coming here and demanding rights that are not given to them in their own countries instead of fighting for them.
4) The right to carry a concealed weapon is a privilege for citizens that should not be awarded to them

Out of all these the third one is the one that really bothers me. I don't think I am a coward for seeking a better life in a place where I was not born.
I have to tell you I was born in Mexico but I am not a Mexican. America is my home and that is the flag I pledge allegiance to.
One of the greatest things this country has to offer is the second amendment right. Let me explain a little bit why I think that it is so great.
Mexico is a piece of trash country that I would not live in by choice. Mexico does not have a second amendment right so the people cannot stand up to their government they do as they please. I was reading the news this morning and they said that they found 38 dead in Mexico. They killed key military commanders, police chiefs, and just plain police officers. My uncle is a police officer in Mexico and he was telling me that when he clocks in for work he is issued a .38 special revolver and when he clocks out he has to return it because he is not an officer of the law at that point just another citizen, and citizens are not allowed to be armed.
This is why it is so easy for cartels to kill police officers. For some reason the cartel criminals do not obey the law and somehow acquire weapons, who knew that would happen? In the U.S. almost anyone can carry a weapon this levels the playing field when dealing with criminals and often they will give it a second thought because you may or may not be armed.

#9 ·
This is why it is so easy for cartels to kill police officers. For some reason the cartel criminals do not obey the law and somehow acquire weapons, who knew that would happen? In the U.S. almost anyone can carry a weapon this levels the playing field when dealing with criminals and often they will give it a second thought because you may or may not be armed.
:shock: I can't believe organized crime would use guns!

My view is you should always be able to have your human rights, and one of the most fundamental of those is the right to self defense. The fact that you're not yet a citizen shouldn't prevent you from exercising that right.

Also, whatever happened to the idea of the US being a beacon of freedom to all the world? Did it used to be a point in America's favor that people could come here from all over the world and build better lives for themselves? When did that become a bad thing?

#10 ·
#11 ·
Unfortunately increasing this is how the world sees us, low educated ********. Mostly because the jacka** chanting USA, USA is the loudest person in the room. We look at him for who he truly is, a jacka**, they see Americans.

I really hoped you corrected this jerk in the other forum, and reminded him unless he is 100% native American at some point his family was immigrants.
Not personally, but rest assured the fact that alle Americans came here at some point did come up rather strongly.

#13 ·
On the same topic (sort of) my Dad was an illegal alien. Yep, snuck across that border from Vancouver, Canada when he was around 3 or 4 with his just as illegal Mom, Dad, brother and sister and settled in Tacoma, WA. This was in 1928 or 29. All of them became citizens at some point. Dad served 22 years in the US Army. Was in WW2, Korea, and the very early part of Vietnam (1962-1963) when we were just "advisors". Funny story was while he was over in Europe during WW2 he got a letter from the Canadian government informing him he had just been drafted! Luckily the Canadians were reasonable and as long as you were serving with the allies they counted that as good enough.

#15 ·
If you are legal (in whatever permanent fashion) and can pass the requirements for carrying concealed I have no issue. Everyone has a right to protect themselves.

I don't particularly care how Europe or other countries do things unless it is an example of what not to do.

#16 ·
become a citizen then get your gun. thats how it should be....
I'm in the U.S. with green card, married to wife who's U.S./Canadian dual citizen, and we now have a almost-1-year-old baby.

Applying your logic, even though I have not broken any laws while living in the U.S. for years (paying tax, etc.), I should not be able to protect myself and my U.S. Citizen wife and son?

Just asking.

#18 ·
become a citizen then get your gun. thats how it should be.
I don't expect to go to another country and buy and carry guns and I'm guessing most countries would not allow this even if I did. So why should it be any different here?
just my 2 cents..
The law doesnt say you have to be a citizen, a green card holder is not a citizen and they CAN legally buy a firearm... sorry to tell you, it is different here in the land of the free;)

#19 ·
TO, Bigfoots: I think you misunderstood. We are not barred from purchasing or owning firearms, we are also not barred from openly carrying them (Where allowed). What we are barred from is getting a permit to carry.
Did you verify that with the agency in your state that issues CCW's?? I think the legality of it varies from state to state... just like it does for citizens... too bad there isnt some law that says "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" ya know;)

#20 ·
Applying your logic, even though I have not broken any laws while living in the U.S. for years (paying tax, etc.), I should not be able to protect myself and my U.S. Citizen wife and son?
Just asking.
According to people like Bigfoots...No you do not have the right to protect yourself or your family (until you become a citizen). You are also not allowed to rescue a drowning child.

You might think I'm joking but it's true. I took the lifeguard test in California and passed it. Soon after that I found out that you need to be a natural born citizen to be employed as a lifeguard. So even if you do become a citizen you are considered a Naturalized citizen and therefore not a "real" citizen.

Where does it stop?!
I have a hypothetical question for Bigfoots:
If my daughter is brutalized and raped. Should I shake it off and say, "I can't stop this right now because I'm not a U.S. citizen, carry on guys."

#22 ·
Did you verify that with the agency in your state that issues CCW's?? I think the legality of it varies from state to state... just like it does for citizens... too bad there isnt some law that says "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" ya know;)
I know of one person that was told that they could not be issued a CCW because of the way the state statue is written.
"The right of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the state shall not be denied."
But I have not personally contacted the office of the Attorney General to confirm this though. I will call tomorrow, and post what they tell me.

#23 ·
oh please... im not going to get into ridiculous hypotheticals with you or anyone..I was asked for my opinion and you got it.
if you don't like the law go change the law. I don't write the laws and don't even agree with quite a few of them, But I'm guessing you will need to become a citizen to be elected to office..;) so your really back to square one. my advice would be to get your citizenship and quit your crying..
govt is barely trusting enough to let people who ARE citizens have ccw..

According to people like Bigfoots...No you do not have the right to protect yourself or your family (until you become a citizen). You are also not allowed to rescue a drowning child.

You might think I'm joking but it's true. I took the lifeguard test in California and passed it. Soon after that I found out that you need to be a natural born citizen to be employed as a lifeguard. So even if you do become a citizen you are considered a Naturalized citizen and therefore not a "real" citizen.

Where does it stop?!
I have a hypothetical question for Bigfoots:
If my daughter is brutalized and raped. Should I shake it off and say, "I can't stop this right now because I'm not a U.S. citizen, carry on guys."

#24 ·
It surprises me at times that the people that seem the most adamant about immigrants being supposed to jump thru all sorts of hoops and not having rights are mostly people that were simply born here - and consequently never had to do anything at all themselves.

#25 ·
Just out of curiosity...How is the local sheriffs office supposed to do a background check on someone who lived in mexico? Hell, we can not even get all of the 50 states to agree on the ccw laws, so again...my advice is to play the game and get your citizenship.
is there something stopping you from getting this? seems like the most direct way of solving your dilemma...I know posting on here isn't gonna get you a ccw..

#26 ·
First of all, welcome to America and thank you for doing your part in making it a better place. Secondly, I'm glad you were able to purchase a firearm to protect yourself and family. Concealed carry in Texas has been around since 1994 I think and the laws have been changing every since. With a national reciprocity law now on the table, it's safe to say that soon all state laws will be changing and hopefully afford you the right to carry concealed. The more law-abiding, responsible gun owners that are allowed to carry concealed, the better our society is IMHO....regardless of where you were born. I can understand your frustration and can only say, be patient, keep doing what you're doing, and don't let idiots (here or otherwise) get you down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.