Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people using for the 3.8 compact 9mm for concealing with a combination of holster, position, and is it too bulky for dress every day carry?

I wore a holster during my ccw class and felt very comfortable, but I knew it was there all day, and no weapon obviously, and no one was the wiser... but today to check things out I put the holster that i have (which I plan to do a different option anyway) and tucked the shirt in and it was completely obnoxiously obvious looking / printing.

To me wearing a shirt untucked or a jacket makes it a no brainer, but in my everyday world of dress pants / shirt tucked in, I'm wondering if the 3.8 compact is too big? My thoughts are getting something along the lines of a crossbreed super tuck holster, although I have seen Galco clip on holsters that seem to work nice, but wondering how well they will actually conceal when one is not wearing baggy clothing and has the shirt tucked in? Or if instead I need to consider going to a single stack for during the week during more formal attire, and the 3.8 could be on the weekend with less formal attire?

Also from what I understand the carry laws don't mean you can't enter some places that post no gun signs, but that if they saw the gun they could say leave or charge you with trespassing. ? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if it is even more important to carry a smaller framed gun so that it can truly work as a complete EDC.

I would hate to spend $50-70 on a holster to only find out that in the end that if I have to tuck my shirt in that it is going to be way too bulky to not be obvious.

·
Read Only
307 Posts
What are people using for the 3.8 compact 9mm for concealing with a combination of holster, position, and is it too bulky for dress every day carry?

I wore a holster during my ccw class and felt very comfortable, but I knew it was there all day, and no weapon obviously, and no one was the wiser... but today to check things out I put the holster that i have (which I plan to do a different option anyway) and tucked the shirt in and it was completely obnoxiously obvious looking / printing.

To me wearing a shirt untucked or a jacket makes it a no brainer, but in my everyday world of dress pants / shirt tucked in, I'm wondering if the 3.8 compact is too big? My thoughts are getting something along the lines of a crossbreed super tuck holster, although I have seen Galco clip on holsters that seem to work nice, but wondering how well they will actually conceal when one is not wearing baggy clothing and has the shirt tucked in? Or if instead I need to consider going to a single stack for during the week during more formal attire, and the 3.8 could be on the weekend with less formal attire?

Also from what I understand the carry laws don't mean you can't enter some places that post no gun signs, but that if they saw the gun they could say leave or charge you with trespassing. ? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if it is even more important to carry a smaller framed gun so that it can truly work as a complete EDC.

I would hate to spend $50-70 on a holster to only find out that in the end that if I have to tuck my shirt in that it is going to be way too bulky to not be obvious.
Larger people can generally carry a larger weapon. Some guys can carry a full size 1911.

I have a 3.8 compact 9mm that I'd really like to carry too. My XDS 9 is easier to conceal but of course fewer rounds.

No good answer here. I'm going to buy a holster for my 3.8 compact and see how it works.

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I carried my XDM compact 9mm in a Crossbreed for several years. Works OK if you have a dark shirt. I never carried it with a tucked in shirt. It is now my cold weather carry in an OWB holster and I just throw a jacket or Hoodie on. My summer gun is now a P938 in a Firearm Holster from "Gavin" on here. That thing disappears without even trying. I've even thrown it on after work when I run to the store and t I u only can't tell. And I wear scrubs. It weighs 19oz loaded.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
The simple answer is to get a smaller gun and carry in an ankle or pocket holster...I am sure if this were an option in your circumstance you wouldn't have posed the question in the first place....so...

I had a great deal of paranoia initially when I began CCing; I tried a handful of different holsters and nothing seemed to fit the bill perfectly...keep in mind I am 6'0" 200lbs (I am not a tiny guy but I am not a huge fella either) and I was carrying an HK USP Compact .40 (insert gun snob jab here)...

What I realized, quite rapidly is that people in general are semi-aware at best 99% of the time and some are downright ignorant of their surroundings; this includes you and your firearm...I swear most days I could wear a holster around my neck, covered in sequins and LEDs and over half the people I interact with wouldn't notice it...honestly, you may be very shocked how easy it is to hide with half-hearted effort!

That being said, my area isn't hypersensitive about "printing" and our CCW Legal Mumbo-Jumbo doesn't stipulate anything involving coverage...if yours does this may complicate matters...however the "Hidden in Plain Sight" option is another to maybe explore--can you find a belt holder that looks like a cell phone/PDA holder that holds the gun? Anybody asks what's inside, tell em it's your Colostomy Bag...betcha they don't wanna verify:roll:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
kcscout,

I understand your concerns.

I've tried a couple of brands of tuck-able holsters, and really didn't like them.

I like the Cook's IWB holsters w/adjustable belt clip better. They are NOT tuck-able, but they are very comfy because of the reduced size. There are many other similar holsters available.

The top one is an XDS 45, the other is an XDM 9mm Compact.

Even when carried openly, they are hardly noticeable. A light windbreaker will cover it up if you are concerned.

I have never been questioned or challenged while carrying either of these.

But, your normal everyday clothing will pretty much dictate how you need to carry.

Duane

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I started carrying a XDsc which has the same size grip but a shorter barrel than the 3.8 compact. I purchased an Alien Gear holster and carried for a while with this setup. Most of the time I wore my shirt untucked. Occasionally I would tuck in my shirt but I had to make sure that it was was not tucked in tight around the gun. I still printed somewhat but not bad. I purchased a XDs 3.3 and a new shell for my AG holster. I now carry my XDs in the same position and can easily tuck in my shirt. I leave just a little bit extra around the gun and have no problem. I have a small waist (32 inch) and can easily hide my XDs at about the 4:30 position with a good solid gun belt. The belt is the key to my whole setup as it pulls everything in snug and holds it securely. Good luck in your search for the perfect carry setup.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Carry my 9mm XDSC in an ava holster. But too heavy in summer so I sport a Sig P 238 in a sticky holster in my bra.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I am 6'1" and weight about 210 pounds. I am able to carry my XDm 9mm 4.5 in a Crossbreed Supertuck with my shirt tucked in without printing, even with jeans and a T-shirt. I carry it at around 4 to 5 o'clock depending on location of the belt loops on the pants.
One of the first rules is to "dress around your gun". Pants should be one size larger than needed to accomodate the gun inside the waistband. Likewise, shirts should be loose and not tight fitting. A good belt is also a requirement to hold the weight of the gun. Once you tuck your shirt in around the gun in the holster, you need to pull out about an inch or so and "blouse" the loose shirt over the gun. It takes a little practice but once you get it right, the gun will disappear.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
I am 6'1" and weight about 210 pounds. I am able to carry my XDm 9mm 4.5 in a Crossbreed Supertuck with my shirt tucked in without printing, even with jeans and a T-shirt. I carry it at around 4 to 5 o'clock depending on location of the belt loops on the pants.
One of the first rules is to "dress around your gun". Pants should be one size larger than needed to accomodate the gun inside the waistband. Likewise, shirts should be loose and not tight fitting. A good belt is also a requirement to hold the weight of the gun. Once you tuck your shirt in around the gun in the holster, you need to pull out about an inch or so and "blouse" the loose shirt over the gun. It takes a little practice but once you get it right, the gun will disappear.
This^. Always dress around the gun. I'm 6'1" and weigh about 215lbs. I carry a full size 1911 in a "KingTuk" Galco holster. I wear a size larger shorts (live in Florida) and A size bigger T shirt (XL). They hide the weapon quite well.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have been CCing for over 25 years. Thankfully, a tucked shirt/business attire has not been a common problem for me. In the past, I have chosen ankle carry as an effective option when required to dress as such. More recently, I have begun pocket carry with a smaller framed weapon. With training and practice, ankle carry is relatively quick to respond. Likewise in the pocket.

For tucked carry, *I* would choose a slimmer/smaller gun than the XDm 3.8. For my body frame, it would be problematic. It also would seem to have presentation issues depending on the scenario (just as ankle or pocket carry).

Whatever weapon/concealment combination you end up with, I'd spend some serious time in practicing weapon presentation. Muscle memory is quite important when drawing from a less than ideal carry mode. BTW, is it possible for you to dress up a bit more? Maybe include a light jacket with your attire? If you can wear a sportcoat or other outer garment, that opens up many more options.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Btw, referring to your question about ignoring the signs, that depends on your state. Guessing by your name, you're either in Kansas or Missouri? If you're in KS, you're correct. If it's privately owned property, you have to leave if they ask, otherwise it's trespassing. Still can't carry in most government buildings. I'm in Wichita. Check out www.firearmholster.com for an awesome holster that's like the Crossbreed. He's a site sponsor on here. It has a felt backing on it that makes it comfy enough to where you don't have to wear an undershirt. Comes in handy when it's hotter than hell here, like today. 105 degrees is way too much for me!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my thought is that if I was at a business and they 'saw' me with a firearm that it would mean I didn't have it concealed very well and also mean that if they asked me to leave, I would think sure, no problem. But people don't address problems in amiable ways, they would more than likely call the police or cause a scene... so my only thought is that if I carry that I make sure that it is comfortable enough that I can stand to carry on a regular basis. Comfortable meaning that I don't feel uneasy all day because something is poking me in the side or because I'm worried all day that someone is going to make out the fact that I'm carrying. And maybe that means at some point in time I have to consider wearing a suit jacket and going up one step in my dress, but I really don't like to wear a suit jacket and right now it is 100+ degrees out.. way too hot for that .

other thoughts are if I had to tuck in and every time I sit down and stand back up I will probably have to re-adjust everything...

Short term I will probably try the route of getting a good gun belt and good tuckable holster and see how it feels / works out, but it may be one of those situations where I have to consider getting a single stack / smaller framed gun to carry we shall see..

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Honestly, in Kansas, 90‰ of people aren't going to notice. That being said, concealed means concealed. I don't open carry, just not my thing, so I make sure I'm concealed. I don't freak out about it if I print a little with certain positions like bending over to help one of my kids or something. Most people aren't going to notice, and concealed and open carry are both completely legal in KS. Just leave if they ask and you're good. Don't know if you saw the story out of Salina, KS about 2 weeks ago. Some guy got into some trouble for carrying into a theater. It was a messed up situation because there was no signs on the door prohibiting carry, but someone saw his gun, told the officer on site, and was asked to leave. He argued like an idiot, and I think got kicked out. Don't think charges were filed or anything, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts