Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, thanks in advance for any advice/tips/help

i have a xd 9sc and i'm having a hard time finding a holster that's comfortable. i'm an average build, 6'2" about 210lbs (that will go down as i've started hitting the gym again, then back up as i start hitting the weights). i've got a little extra weight but i carry it pretty well and mostly in my stomach area.

i went to my local sportsmans warehouse to try on some holsters and nothing seemed comfortable. i'm right handed and that is the side that i will carry on. i tried everything from 1:00 all the way to 6:00. i love my mother but she gave me her hips... lol. i have really prominent hip bones so carrying anywhere around 2:30 - 3:30 was really uncomfortable, plus the printing was terrible. honestly the most comfortable thing i found was to actually get a left handed IWB and wear it at 6:00 so i could still grab the grip.

i hear CBST are great and i've checked them out. i guess with the cant on it i could wear that at 6:00 and be able to draw pretty well? i'm not sure if i would like a pancake (is that what it is?) type IWB and i'd really like to try one first, but i don't know of anyone who has one around me. my cop friend has a couple IWB and he said he usually just uses an uncle mikes when he's off duty...

i really can't seem to find anything that's comfortable in the initial stages of fittings. i have no problem dropping money on a holster but i want to be pretty sure i'm going to like it and use it. i'm not worried about wardrobe or printing right now, just comfort. i'll deal with the other issues after i find something i like.

help me guys! i need comfort!

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
im 6'2 190 so i think we have a pretty similar frame. i have a cbst for the xd40sc and i wear it at the 5:30 position. it find it really comfortable there and it conceals very well with just a tshirt and with minimal printing unless i bend over at the waist. the leather molds to your body after wearing it for a little bit and it feels like you're not wearing a holster.

·
Premium Member
127,703 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 205 pounds so we are probably somewhat similar in build. (Mine's all muscle, of course. :rolleyes:) I carry at 3:30 either IWB or OWB, but that apparently doesn't work for you. As an instructor I really suggest you avoid a 6 o'clock (SOB) carry position. It is difficult to draw safely from that position, i.e. you will sweep your own body with the muzzle of your gun, as well as anyone nearby. Also, if you were to fall backward the gun could injure your spine. You might try appendix carry (2 o'clock) or cross draw 10 o'clock. There are several holsters on the market for those positions. Let us know what you end up doing. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I use a don hume 715h for my sc40. About 3o'clock. You can get them $25-$30 or so. I forget its there sometimes, even on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I am pretty avg build @ 5-10 190#, no gut, broad enough shoulders to hide a 1911Comm in an IWB under an untucked polo. Holsters are very personal choices. If you can try a few even better, but most of us go thru 5-6 before finidng 1 or 2 that cover all carry options. I like the Mtac or Supertuck for general ccw under an untucked shirt, good belt helps.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the input. i think anywhere from 12:00 - 3:30 is a no go, and that would eliminate a cross draw position also. it's just to uncomfortable on my hips and i don't like the gun coming into my stomach. i think that 5:30 - 4:00 is going to be the most comfortable. i'll be getting a gun belt also so i know that will help to improve things.

i've looked at the CBST a lot and i see the galco kingtuk looks nice also and comes with the combat cut already, is a little less expensive than the CB and the turnaround time on it is a LOT better from what i've seen and read.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
thanks for all the input. i think anywhere from 12:00 - 3:30 is a no go, and that would eliminate a cross draw position also. it's just to uncomfortable on my hips and i don't like the gun coming into my stomach. i think that 5:30 - 4:00 is going to be the most comfortable. i'll be getting a gun belt also so i know that will help to improve things.

i've looked at the CBST a lot and i see the galco kingtuk looks nice also and comes with the combat cut already, is a little less expensive than the CB and the turnaround time on it is a LOT better from what i've seen and read.
Check out the Mtac @ Comptac. Very comfortable, but I have no hips.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
TRY a SOB ( small of back holster ) get a cheapie like a Blackhawk check-six to see if you like it.
Try wearing it just behind the hip. the grip should snug your ribcage if worn like I'm suggesting. similar draw like you are using now, just no back issues later on.

this is one of my favorites right now for OWB, casual. not IWB dress.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the suggestions guys... and girls if any :) i was up in phoenix with the wife for a little getaway and a baseball game. before we went back home i searched gun stores up there since it's a bigger market than tucson. found a really nice and big store called AZ shooters world. they had TONS of holsters and their selection was the easiest to look through that i've seen.

they had a glaco king tuk there so i was actually able to try it out with their 3" xd rental and it felt great. needless to say i bought it. i could have gotten a slightly better deal online but even after tax it came it under $60 which is what the CBST starts at. if you want the combat cut it's more plus shipping.

i am carrying for the first time today! i don't have my permit yet but i'm in AZ so i don't need it. i'll be taking my class in the next month or so. thanks again for all the input.

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
thanks for all the suggestions guys... and girls if any :) i was up in phoenix with the wife for a little getaway and a baseball game. before we went back home i searched gun stores up there since it's a bigger market than tucson. found a really nice and big store called AZ shooters world. they had TONS of holsters and their selection was the easiest to look through that i've seen.

they had a glaco king tuk there so i was actually able to try it out with their 3" xd rental and it felt great. needless to say i bought it. i could have gotten a slightly better deal online but even after tax it came it under $60 which is what the CBST starts at. if you want the combat cut it's more plus shipping.

i am carrying for the first time today! i don't have my permit yet but i'm in AZ so i don't need it. i'll be taking my class in the next month or so. thanks again for all the input.
So what position did you end up weraing it in?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what position did you end up weraing it in?
somewhere between 4:00 and 5:00. i think the gun tends to sit more around 4:18ish :rolleyes: i keep moving it slightly to see what feels best. i need to get a gun belt and when i do i'm sure it'll be a major improvement. the problem is my wish list keeps growing and my check book can't keep up :shock:

i just got back from my first successful concealed carry in a walgreens... piece of cake! i think i'll be a bit more nervous when i go to the bank/post office. they know me pretty well at both places so i doubt it will be a big deal. i looked around and i think it's ok to carry into a post office... they don't have any signs banning weapons... i just can't mail it :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, i didn't think so either but i've skimmed through all the state statutes and i didn't see anything about federal buildings... and i'll emphasize 'skimmed'. i know some have a no weapons sign posted but the local post office doesn't. that's one of my questions i have for when i take my CCW class.

i know the bank is ok because i've asked the manager about that. i'm in there usually once a day for work and know all of them really well.

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
well, i didn't think so either but i've skimmed through all the state statutes and i didn't see anything about federal buildings... and i'll emphasize 'skimmed'. i know some have a no weapons sign posted but the local post office doesn't. that's one of my questions i have for when i take my CCW class.

i know the bank is ok because i've asked the manager about that. i'm in there usually once a day for work and know all of them really well.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Im not. Do NOT take it in a post office. It doesn't matter what the state statues are. Post offices are FEDERAL and that means NATIONAL. Post offices are off limits no matter what state they are in.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
... i'll be a bit more nervous when i go to the bank/post office. they know me pretty well at both places so i doubt it will be a big deal. i looked around and i think it's ok to carry into a post office... they don't have any signs banning weapons... :)
Don't know about AZ, but in Michigan the Post Office is a "Pistol Free Zone".

·
Registered
10 Posts
No federal buildings in AZ [I have an AZ CCW] post offices are included in that. Take the class a soon as you can, it will keep you out of trouble [part of the class list in detail where you can carry in our state].

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
fl doesnt allow guns in either banks or post offices. id double check before i took that chance.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 205 pounds so we are probably somewhat similar in build. (Mine's all muscle, of course. :rolleyes:) I carry at 3:30 either IWB or OWB, but that apparently doesn't work for you. As an instructor I really suggest you avoid a 6 o'clock (SOB) carry position. It is difficult to draw safely from that position, i.e. you will sweep your own body with the muzzle of your gun, as well as anyone nearby. Also, if you were to fall backward the gun could injure your spine. You might try appendix carry (2 o'clock) or cross draw 10 o'clock. There are several holsters on the market for those positions. Let us know what you end up doing. Good luck!
I agree with slugger.

I'm 6' 235# w/a 42" waist; (so I gotta gut). But recently, I did an extensive trim job on one of my STs. I trimmed the top and sides down and went to velcro clips and belt. So, now I can carry @ the 1:30- 2 o'clock with total comfort & concealability; or I can carry strong side when I feel like it.

I would advise you to look into a good AIWB type holster before I would advise SOB carry. But, my guess is your body type is not as bad as you think. You may just need to gain some experience and get used to it.

Good Luck!

-

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah, i've been getting used to carrying around the 4:30 position, it seems to be the most comfortable. once i get a gun belt i'm sure things will start to feel a lot better. the biggest discomfort now is when i'm driving. i think i may set up some type of holster rig in my car so i won't be sitting on it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts