Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a nice CCW belt that doesn’t look like one, could be worn for nice and won’t break the bank. Every time I find something that I think will work it either gets crappy reviews (yeh I know) or it’s $150. I don’t mind paying $65 or so if it’s quality but so many seem to be junk in that range. So what have you guys tried? My 50 year old belt just won’t cut it anymore.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've tried a few different ones in different sizes and here's my experiences with it...

The DeSantis Gunhide E25 is a real value master except you might want to replace the buckle with a roller (the factory buckle will crease/mar the surface of the leather): DeSantis Gunhide E25 Belt 1-1/2 Steel Buckle Leather Black 30 (midwayusa.com). I quite like mine and how it wasn't overpriced (I think I paid around $20.00-$30.00). It is not the stiffest belt I have, but it's adequate and it is comfortable.

I also have three MAGPUL belts: Belts - Accessories - Apparel + Gear (magpul.com), MAGPUL EL EMPRESARIO TEJAS GUN BELT | Brownells, & Gun Holsters & Belts for Your Pistol or Revolver | MidwayUSA .
  • El Burro is completely rubber and doesn't seem to be really stiff enough and is sticky when putting it through the belt loops of my pants. I would not buy again.
  • El Original is a very good belt with a leather face and polymer backing. It is stiff, yet comfortable. It is a little on the thick side, but it works. I got it for way less than MSRP and I would not pay MSRP for that one.
  • I got El Empresario before it was apparently discontinued for around $20-$25 shipped to wear with semi-formal and formal wear. It has all the same qualities as the El Original with better leather (at least between my two belts). It's the nicest belt I've ever bought. Period.

·
Registered
818 Posts
J have been using these for probably 2 years. Comfortable does not look like a gunboats and work well with my compact 1911 and Springfield XDS.

PADRAIG

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
I have about 6 of the Hanks Belts. None of them over $100.... usually find some great sales and free shipping. My oldest, a 1" belt is well over 10 years old now and since it gets really soaked a lot while I am working and out in the elements, it is starting to show its age a bit, but still works just fine and has plenty of life left. My other 1.25" and 1.5" belts don't get worn or abused anywhere near as much and will probably last longer than I do. Have nothing but good things to say about Hanks products. And, depending on which ones you get, they don't scream "gun belt"

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
J have been using these for probably 2 years. Comfortable does not look like a gunboats and work well with my compact 1911 and Springfield XDS.

PADRAIG
I have a dress belt my wife bought me with the ratchet system. The only thing I don’t like is that it releases very easily. If you sit down and your pants bunch up behind the buckle it will release it. I would hope the kore brand would have a better locking system but couldn’t tell by the website, that’s why I’m asking questions here.

·
Administrator
22,514 Posts
I have an old Amish leather belt that I have been using for 10 years or so. It is starting to wear out (lose its rigidity).

Reactions: windsearcher

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Another vote for Kore. Just last week bought my first. First choice was nylon EDC but decided to add a leather belt and second buckle, over $100 ships free. 10% for first purchase.

Very impressed - fast shipping, neatly packaged, look and feel quality, good stiffness, like the 1/4 inch increments for adjust.

Reactions: swright6

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another vote for Kore. Just last week bought my first. First choice was nylon EDC but decided to add a leather belt and second buckle, over $100 ships free. 10% for first purchase.

Very impressed - fast shipping, neatly packaged, look and feel quality, good stiffness, like the 1/4 inch increments for adjust.
Does it stay latched well? Like my previous post I have a dress belt with a similar latch and sometimes when I sit my pants will bunch behind the buckle and release it.

·
Registered
XDm 45 3.8 Compact, ex Alaska State Police, no markings
36 Posts
Full disclosure, I am not a gunslinger. I just grew up wearing belts my father made in his saddle repair and tack shop. When I contemplated a sturdy belt for concealed carry, my first thought was that I would want black and brown to match whatever shoes I’m wearing. That doubles the cost, obviously, so I was attracted to a field supply offering for Penn Standard Amish made “bull extra thick”, because my cost of $70 was about the same as one belt elsewhere.
I see they are available today for 10% more, no special sale going on.
Penn Std Bull Ex.Thick Holster Belt- 1.5"
Penn Std Bull Ex.Thick Holster Belt- 1.5"
If you order, I wouldn’t take their advice on going up 3 sizes for in the waistband carry. Going up 1 size will do, and they will exchange if necessary.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Does it stay latched well? Like my previous post I have a dress belt with a similar latch and sometimes when I sit my pants will bunch behind the buckle and release it.
So far yes. I sat and tested exactly that ... passed. One thing I did learn while testing - if over tighten it is difficult to release latch because must work against the tightness. Solution is to push even tighter while tripping the latch ... or just don't over tighten to begin with ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I prefer versacarry's belt. Thick and very sturdy. Only complaint is getting holster clips over the belt is a pain due to the thickness

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far yes. I sat and tested exactly that ... passed. One thing I did learn while testing - if over tighten it is difficult to release latch because must work against the tightness. Solution is to push even tighter while tripping the latch ... or just don't over tighten to begin with ;)
Thanks for the reply. Yes the dress one I have works like a zip tie but if you just lift slightly on the buckle it releases. Could be embarrassing standing up at a fancy dinner and having your britches, gun and everything else hit the floor. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
another vote for Kore belts, at 300 + pounds i've never had an accadental release of the buckle.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My Kore essential is the gun belt style and has never accidentally released while sitting. I have a black, a brown in leather and a gray nylon. Works great and is plenty stiff enough for a 1911 Officer's Model IWB or a Gold Cup.OWB. Big plus is that the leather ones do not scream gun belt and look good.

Padraig

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for a nice CCW belt that doesn’t look like one, could be worn for nice and won’t break the bank. Every time I find something that I think will work it either gets crappy reviews (yeh I know) or it’s $150. I don’t mind paying $65 or so if it’s quality but so many seem to be junk in that range. So what have you guys tried? My 50 year old belt just won’t cut it anymore.
Don't hit the pressure points and is flexible where it should be. It's all black and still a webbed belt BUT doesn't scream gun if you don't have one on. $45 As a fit female without a lot of belly room to let the gun push into, I can comfortably get it tight but not have it hurt. - Aimee

·
Registered
1 Posts
These are the two that I use. It depends if I'm getting dressed up or going casual. I use the Mission almost every day with the buckle from Lavemi.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts