Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just got my concealed holster the other day...and should have my permit within the month. Just wondering what everyone's favorite self defense/ccw ammo is and possible reasons why?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Winchester Ranger
9mm 147 gr. SXT
.40 180 gr. Bonded

they are reliable, expand consistently, and are inexpensive

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Hey guys,

I just got my concealed holster the other day...and should have my permit within the month. Just wondering what everyone's favorite self defense/ccw ammo is and possible reasons why?
Would help if you mentioned caliber.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Here's a list that's been posted many times over. Any of the rounds below will do just fine. I personally like the heaver 147gr.

• Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
  • Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
  • Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
  • Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
  • Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
  • Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
  • Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
  • Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
  • Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
Here's the thing you need to do. Just because my gun shoots 147gr and 124gr rangers just fine doesn't mean you your gun will. You need to chose from the list above and fire at the very least a couple of mag fulls of it to see if it feed reliably in your gun and hits where you aim. If it doesn't go to another on the list.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably yes, as you can see I am new. I didn't even know there was an Ammo Can section; I'll have to check those posts out.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section, I hope I didn't ruin your day - you seemed upset about it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Shouldn't this thread be in the Ammo Can section along with the other threads on this?
Some newbies have trouble using the search function or just looking for things. :)
No offense Pyroticsky.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Expanding full metal jackets are a very bad choice for an SD round. If you are forced to not use HPs the are better than nothing but I would never recommend an EFMJ round where there is an option to use a quality HP.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah, that list tends to be the 'top end', not 'the best you might have access to'.

I would be intrigued to see him test the EFMJ, and how they did, but dont think they are on that article anywhere, unless I missed it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I'll dig up some tests when I get a chance.
In short they under penetrate when encountering heavy clothing or other light barriers. By under penetrate I mean severely under penetrate. Here's the thing, HPs are designed to expand only when encountering a medium that has water, like tissue, they will penetrate heavy clothing, wall board, sheet metal, car glass, plywood with out expanding. Once they penetrate these barriers and hit tissue then they start to expand. EFMJ by design start to expand as soon as they hit something so that means that they will under penetrate if they have to pass through a light barrier.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364) is the PDX1. The RA9B is the Law enforcement model number for the civilian PDX1 S9MMPDB1.

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
I recommend the OP read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Not only will it give the same list of ammo Agalindo listed earler, but it gives the reasons WHY they are the preferred carry loads.

Beyond that, whichever one of those rounds is 100% reliable and shoots with acceptible accuracy and control.

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
Hornady 9mm hollow points. Only because the guys at my favorite fun store recommended them. So far I've fired 10 and they seemed to head downrange as expected.
Assuming it's the XTP rounds, yeah--they can do fine when nothing else is available.

If it's Hornady Critical Defnsne...stay away from it, no matter what the gun store commandos tell you.

Beyond that--there's no way I'd ever consider carrying any load with only ten rounds put downrange; at least a couple of full mags out of every magazine one intends to carry is the bare minimum.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Beyond that--there's no way I'd ever consider carrying any load with only ten rounds put downrange; at least a couple of full mags out of every magazine one intends to carry is the bare minimum.
So, till I have more experience with the Hornady round, is it advisable to stick to the PMC or WWB standard rounds that I've fired several hundred of? I guess I was trying to be cheap and save the "good" ammo. I wouldn't have fired any except from this forum it seemed I should fire off a few to see what the difference in recoil/feel was.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
No it's not about experience it's about testing. shoot a couple of mags of it, verify that it will function without fault in YOUR gun. Never carry an tested self defense round in your gun.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts