Springfield XD Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know better to ask the question of whats the best ammo to carry.. so i'll more generalize my quest for information...

I already plan to carry JHP(Learned that on here lol) regardless but im just wondering what brands are better brands than others....

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Well, I'd suggest you just read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

However...to sum it up...

Buy the heaviest bullet weight available for your caliber in any of the following lines and you'll be hunk-dory (assuming your pistol in your hands feeds 100% reliably and is what you consider acceptibly controllable and accurate),,,

Winchester Ranger-T or PDX-1
Federal HST
Speer Gold Dot
Remington Golden Sabre
Cor-Bon DPX (or any other manufacturer (eg, Wilson or Black Hills) that uses the Barnes X-Bullet)

·
Registered
27 Posts
All the current premium SD loads are fine. You'll never shoot enough people to know the difference, if there is one.

In 9mm, pick a medium weight - 115-127 gr - +P or +P+ load.

In .45, pick a 200-230 gr +P load.

Ask someone else about .40 cal.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
IMO, caliber specific. If you carry a 9mm, your choice is more important than when you carry a 45acp. So stick w/ a 124-147gr 9mm+p from any of the majors & you'll be fine. In the 40, same thing. In the 45acp, just about any 200-230grJHP is going to work if you can do your part, JMO.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
All the current premium SD loads are fine. You'll never shoot enough people to know the difference, if there is one.

In 9mm, pick a medium weight - 115-127 gr - +P or +P+ load.

In .45, pick a 200-230 gr +P load.

Ask someone else about .40 cal.
Your thought process, please, on why lightweight 9mm's are better than heavyweights...and why warpspeed is better than standard velocity...

Gimme a 1000fps 147gr bullet designed for that velocity any day over a 115gr +P+ screamer..

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Muzzle energy isn't the end all to a pistol bullet wounding. In fact it means very little. Penetration and expansion that's what wounds not "energy dump", "shock", or the mythical "hydrostatic shock". a 115gr might have have more energy but it will penetrate less thus causing less damage.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Didn't think we were talking about bullet wound cavity, but purely which is better, a +P or a heavier Standard P.
IMO, it is about that & reliability. The 9mm is the bottom of the SD calibers, most "experts" would agree w/ that. So I want all the help I can get. If temp cav helps stop the fight sooner, then I want that, if the bullet makes a bigger hole, in & out, then I want that. So for me, a +P load in 9mm is what I choose.

·
Registered
755 Posts
winchester ranger 180gr

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Didn't think we were talking about bullet wound cavity, but purely which is better, a +P or a heavier Standard P.
If not wound cavity when why is +P better than a heaver standard pressure round?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Not again boris. You can't tell what pressure a round has just by velocity. You USED to be a reloader you should know.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
1050 fps is well below +p velocities for 124 9mm. It takes 1200 fps to get 396fpe anyway, get the facts straight before posting. Huge pet peeve of mine
those weights, speeds, and energies are straight off Winchester's PDX-1 9mm page. And agalindo is right, you cant judge pressures from speed/weight alone. I'd appreciate it if you took your own advice.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
those weights, speeds, and energies are straight off Winchester's PDX-1 9mm page. And agalindo is right, you cant judge pressures from speed/weight alone. I'd appreciate it if you took your own advice.
The 50-60 ft# of energy diff means very little, line getting hit w/ an add'l. 22short, means nothing. When you start talking 200ft#s+, then the bullet has more ability to do work, that is really all the energy numbers mean. If the bullet is a solid & misses bone, the the bullet isn't doing much work as it slips thru tissue.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.