Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was pulled over because I had my foglights on but not my headlights. (It wasn't fully dark out yet).

Walks up to my window, says his lines and then asks for license, registration, ins. (being very polite the whole time) At that point, I already had everything in my hands including my LTCF card and told him I have a license to carry and that I am carrying now.

Trooper: Where is your pistol
Me: holstered at the waist about 4-5 o'clock position with a chambered round.
Trooper: What do you carry?
Me: Xdm-45
Trooper: What do you do?
Me: I'm an accountant (True story)
Trooper: *Stares at me for a few seconds with a straight face like I was trying to be funny.*
Me: *didn't know what else to say or do so I just stared back at him...definitely a few seconds of awkward silence.
Trooper: Ok, unholster it and put it on your passenger seat with your right hand.

At this point, he takes a step back and from the corner of my eyes, I see him placing his hands on his pistol. I did exactly what he said VERY SLOWLY and he comes around the car, opens the door, and takes my pistol to his car to run the numbers. 5 mins later he comes back, hands me my pistol, my mag, and my chambered round and said, "just turn on your lights" and walked back to his car. I was very surprised he turned his back to me. I stuck my head out the window and asked him if I could take a step out of the car to reholster my pistol. He just said sure. Got into his car and sped off while I'm standing on the side of the highway pistol in hand reholstering...

1. I always thought LEO would make you get out of your car and then take your pistol out of the holster themselves

2. I didn't think he would turn his back on anybody with a firearm

3. I swear he fondled my XdM in his car and then looked at his glock in disgust lol j/k

No complaints...just wanted to share my first encounter

·
Registered
161 Posts
its all at officers prefefence. some will want to secure and clear, others will make you clear it and leave it in the seat and others will say dont pull it out. but in every situation, follow theinstructions and be polite, just like you did.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I've always been under the belief that being handed a license to carry and announcing you have a gun means you are absolutely no threat to me. With that said, I tell everyone in this scenario to just keep your hands on the wheel for me. 1. Then I'm not inconveniencing you, and 2. You aren't pulling out a loaded firearm/handling it/ passing it off...it's much safer I think to just keep it holstered and hands in sight. It might sound dumb, but I like when someone I encounter is CCing because it gives me a chance to have a good ice breaker or conversation to chat about guns lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It woulda been cool if he struck up a conversation but he was pretty serious. Since it was my first time disarming to any LEO I absolutely positively wanted to follow his every command. I understand where he's coming from and he is doing his job. Needless to say, I was pretty nervous. After i put the pistol on the seat, my hands stayed on the steering wheel and I stayed completed still

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know if disarming is SOP where you live, or just what that officer does, but I'm glad it worked out for you. I, on the other hand, would never remove my carry piece from my holster for an officer. Ever. I'll take my chances disobeying orders while not having my hands anywhere near my holster. He can call for backup to come take my gun if he's so scared for his life.
I've been pulled over dozens of times while carrying, and nobody has ever asked me to disarm. (I transport hazmat in my personal vehicle for work, and I get stopped fairly regulary because officers are curious about the placards on my car.)

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I've always been under the belief that being handed a license to carry and announcing you have a gun means you are absolutely no threat to me. With that said, I tell everyone in this scenario to just keep your hands on the wheel for me. 1. Then I'm not inconveniencing you, and 2. You aren't pulling out a loaded firearm/handling it/ passing it off...it's much safer I think to just keep it holstered and hands in sight. It might sound dumb, but I like when someone I encounter is CCing because it gives me a chance to have a good ice breaker or conversation to chat about guns lol

If all police officers were that way, I wouldn't mind giving them my license to carry with my license to drive. However, since they aren't all like that, I don't (not required to do so here).

·
Registered
895 Posts
thanks for sharing your story, i am a PA resident and unfortunately i have a lead foot so i have a few tickets under my belt. my concern is my job doesnt really merit the need to carry concealed, so if asked "what do you do?" i'd probably say "i'm a red blooded american that has been raised around guns and i feel more comfortable carrying protection in this crazy society."

·
Registered
403 Posts
thanks for sharing your story, i am a PA resident and unfortunately i have a lead foot so i have a few tickets under my belt. my concern is my job doesnt really merit the need to carry concealed, so if asked "what do you do?" i'd probably say "i'm a red blooded american that has been raised around guns and i feel more comfortable carrying protection in this crazy society."
I don't see how your job has anything to do with it. It's not like criminals limit their attacks to certain professions.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I don't see how your job has anything to do with it. It's not like criminals limit their attacks to certain professions.
i know, i just wonder why the state trooper asked him what he does because clearly it shouldnt be relevant.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
i know, i just wonder why the state trooper asked him what he does because clearly it shouldn't be relevant.
I don't know why they ask this question. But they have always seemed to ask me. "Where do you work". As if maybe that you being gainfully employed may indicate of what kind of character you are. :confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if disarming is SOP where you live, or just what that officer does, but I'm glad it worked out for you. I, on the other hand, would never remove my carry piece from my holster for an officer. Ever. I'll take my chances disobeying orders while not having my hands anywhere near my holster. He can call for backup to come take my gun if he's so scared for his life.
I've been pulled over dozens of times while carrying, and nobody has ever asked me to disarm. (I transport hazmat in my personal vehicle for work, and I get stopped fairly regulary because officers are curious about the placards on my car.)

Thanks! I also thought it was strange too to disarm myself but like I said, I just followed instructions and everything went smoothly. How do others do it? If there is a next time, do I ask them to disarm me? Would that stir up trouble? Now that I think about it, the last thing I want is for the LEO's dash camera catching me on video reaching for my pistol =(

As for asking about my profession, maybe he was trying to find out if I was a LEO or some kind of security officer? I can see how my honest reply could possibly sound like a smartass remark to the trooper.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Had a similar encounter a while ago. Told the Florida Highway Patrol officer that I was carrying, he just took it very casually, asked me for my papers and stuff and we took care of my... um.... unintentional excess of the posted speedlimit. (My terms, not his!) :) I wasn't asked to do anything except leave it where it was and keep my hands clear of the sidearm.

Hope that I don't have to experience too many more encounters with officers due to my actions, but if they happen, I hope all of the meetings go well.

Glad yours was uneventful. Hope more officers are like that than not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts