Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if your allowed to carry in semi truck? Ive heard many different opinions about this and would love to know for sure. I have my ccp in Oregon and I know which states recognize Oregon permits, but Ive had people say you are not allowed to carry in a semi...but if when your in it your also living in it, it is your home.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Does anyone know if your allowed to carry in semi truck? Ive heard many different opinions about this and would love to know for sure. I have my ccp in Oregon and I know which states recognize Oregon permits, but Ive had people say you are not allowed to carry in a semi...but if when your in it your also living in it, it is your home.
All depends on the state your in. If your permit is recognized then you're good. Just know all the states laws that you're going through. There is also the federal law regarding transporting a firearm that you can legally carry when going through a state which otherwise won't allow it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
My friend/neighbor drives a semi and he stated that it depends on the licenses you have. For example, he is licensed to haul items that require an ATF license and hazardous material. He stated that depending on what he is hauling that he may not be allowed to carry a firearm. He would be required to have it locked up in the cabin. He specifically was talking about when hauling alcohol (I.E.: beer, wine, or liquor) or ammo/firearms.

If I understood correctly, it has more to do where you would have to go to pick-up or drop-off you load. In his case, he picks up a lot of loads at the port or at railroad drop-off/pick-up locations. They have or may have restrictions about bringing in firearms into these areas. They may not even allow you to have it locked up in your cabin...

I would recommend that you check with you local officials to see if you would also need to follow these rules depending on the licenses (driving/hauling) you have and where you would have to go to pick-up/drop-off.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
143 Posts
According to the DOT handbook this is what it says.

Title 18 Setcion 926(a). The peacable journey law.

TITLE 18–CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I–CRIMES

CHAPTER 44–FIREARMS

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
container other than the glove compartment or console.

Basically what it says in plain english is that if you are legally able to possess and carry a firearm you may have one with you, but it all depends on state and local law which would mean that you need to check reciprocity agreements between the states.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is a good place to start for anyone traveling:

Handgunlaw.us

Here's a book with some good info, although printed pages can't keep up with changing laws.

Gunlaws for the 50 States

There is no Federal law prohibiting you from carrying in a CMV. However you have to obey any local laws. And for that you had better do your homework! Anything from how it's stored and secured, mag restrictions, duty to retreat, when and where deadly force can be used. Even if you don't have a CCW permit there are provisions to transport a firearm, but if you have to use it, you had better know the local laws or a great lawyer.
As stated above you may also be restricted by your employer. In case you didn't believe the lies perpetuated by the trucking companies about Federal laws, many of them have their own rules in place.
Another issue also mentioned is where you are picking up and delivering to. Many places have signs prohibiting weapons. You may get in and out with no problem at these places. However I have been on Military bases where they searched my cabin with some type of device, not sure what it was but I was glad I didn't have any guns OR ammo.
You don't say if you are company or O/O. Obviously a company driver doesn't pick their own loads or make the rules. Whichever you are be safe out there!:cool:

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
There's 2 things I'd be worried about.

1. Is it against company policy?

2. Crossing state lines that don't reciprocate your state's CCW.

That is all you need to know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info everyone. I have heard many different things about this. I am an O/O and it is not against company policiy to have a gun in the cab. I have actually been into ports with my CC in my cab and had no problems. All I really worry about is the DOT.

·
Premium Member
127,144 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone. I have heard many different things about this. I am an O/O and it is not against company policy to have a gun in the cab. I have actually been into ports with my CC in my cab and had no problems. All I really worry about is the DOT.

Good policy!

·
Registered
425 Posts
All I really worry about is the DOT.
Maybe you misunderstood. The DOT is the one group you DON'T have to worry about. You may never get caught, but if you are caught on a base or in a port or some other restricted area the DOT will be the very least of your worries!:confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe you misunderstood. The DOT is the one group you DON'T have to worry about. You may never get caught, but if you are caught on a base or in a port or some other restricted area the DOT will be the very least of your worries!:confused:
No I understand ;) I talked to one of the tsa guys at one of the ports in Washington. He told me one pistol in the back of your sleeper is not what they are looking for when you enter or exit a port. A large rifle in the sleeper would be a different story. They are mostly looking at what coming in or out in the trailer. And I dont go into any military areas so Im good there. Ive just had people tell me that you CANT have one in a cab period. Which now I know is not true. So Driver are you a local driver or OTR? You dont carry when you drive?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I used to be OTR, I'm local now. The company doesn't allow us to carry and I have to go onto Ft. Carson and the AFB's in Colorado Springs. So no carry when at work, which sucks. I guess if "and I mean when" the SHTF I'll be dropping my trailer and running down the rioters and looters with my tractor.:twisted:

I used to really like going to Portland. I had my bike with me OTR and really enjoyed riding around your town. Very bike friendly and great city for people watching. "Keep Portland Weird":razz:

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would be real careful here...I am pretty sure DOT (Department Of Transportation) has a say so in this too. As you are in a comercial vehicle I am not positive it is allowed....not to mention your company policy as well....just my .02

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess if "and I mean when" the SHTF I'll be dropping my trailer and running down the rioters and looters with my tractor.:twisted:
+1 for me too...option #1 for sure. Yes I like Portland most of the times...some places still really suck though, but Im usually happy to get back home. Colorado is beautiful, I hardly ever get out that way though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Although I would like to carry in the "Big Truck", I can't/won't because:
1, It is against Company Policy. I drive for a good Company, and in today's economy, I don't feel like changing to another (less friendly) company.
2. I drive through too many states where it would be illegal.
3. I go onto too many Military Installations.

I carry wasp/hornet spray which is not illegal. If I have to use it, there might be legal issues, but it is still "better to be tried by 12, than to be carried by 6."

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
I would have picked up my CPL years ago, but at the time I was going to school (no legal guns there, just the shotgun the deranged killer brought with him) or driving and going all sorts of places with weapons policies and worse yet, crossing into Illinois and Canada.

If you know were you are going, and know guns are OK there, go for it. but almost every place I went had a big sign saying "no guns allowed on company property".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts