Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was a good read.

Three key questions will always be whom do you want to communication with, over what distance, and are they using the same bands (ie., ranges of frequency)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The problem I have with CB is ; CB has a range of 4-5 miles on a good day and there are very few people who use them anymore. With just a little effort anyone ( I've talked to 6 year old kids with a license) can get a Technician class ham radio license which gives the operator 2 meter privileges and by hitting repeaters , you can talk 50 miles or more. My 75 watt output 2 meter radio cost about 1 1/2 times what a good CB would cost ( a hand-held is less expensive and will also reach repeaters ) and is much more useful. There are over 700,000 hams in the U.S. so reaching someone is always possible. I realize ham radio is not for everyone, but it seems far more practical for what I want to use it for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ham Radio operator here... Call sign of N7WRU
I personally using 25 watts output on the 10 meter ham band ssb mobile have communicated with stations is Georgia region of RUSSIA from SW Missouri back in the day during a high sun spot cycle in the Late 1980's---
Wow, just realized that was 30 years ago and I still have that radio!

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
It is pretty easy to lay hands on an tweaked CB, but unless all you care about is where the next couple "smokies" are hiding, or offers for gay sex at truck stops, they have limited use if you have just 1.
They are useful for mildly dispersed groups, like my college off-roading club or small convoy hitting the roads, like an extended family vacation or a work crew.

ps. I wonder if the guy I always heard in the middle of night going through Toledo, ever found his panties.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 10 meter radio with my set up and average location I can typically get about 10-12 miles with mine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
W9MRT
go ham all the way. Readily available portable units and easy to program! License is relatively easy if you study.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts