Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a nice SAA replica for plinking and recreational shooting. I don;t want to break the bank but I am set on blued, 45 Long Colt, and 5 to 7 inch barrel. I like the Cimarron and the Uberti Cattleman. Anyone have advice along this avenue?

·
Registered
185 Posts
if your set on a cowboy style gun, save yourself alot of headache and buy a Ruger Super Blackhawk. it wont break your bank, and you can fire the hottest rounds in case you want to use it to hunt, or back up gun for hunting. plus the Ruger is built like a tank you will not hurt it like you could with some of the other brands. oh yea, the super blackhawk comes with an extra cylinder for .45acp. makes for much cheaper target shooting and plinking.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I owned two Uberti single actions. One in 44Spl and another in 45 Colt.

I would NEVER buy another one!

They look great, but have plenty of QC issues and mine both spit lead really bad and one was way out of timing. Accuracy was also awful on both guns.

Ditched them both for a Ruger Vauqero and never looked back. Five years later and I still love my Vaquero. I owned a stainless 357 Blackhawk many years ago and stupidly traded it.

I'd go for a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero over the others. The Rugers are well made, very tough and accurate guns that will give you no headaches.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
567 Posts
The wife and I have several pairs of Ruger Vaqueros between us. Our favorites are the Bisley models. They are very comfortable with even the heaviest of loads, and the extra curve of the triggers and the lower hammer spurs make them more ergonomic for us. Our Vaqueros are super-accurate and after tens of thousands of rounds, they are still tight and reliable. A Wolff gunspring kit will make most Ruger revolvers more pleasant to shoot and a full-house trigger job makes them a joy.

If you are set on a true clone, you might consider a Cimmaron. They are built from Ubertis, but have better fit and finish than the parent guns as well as generally fine triggers. They will not handle hot loads, but for black powder or "cowboy" loads, they are fine. My personal favorite Colt clone for the money is the Rodeo by United States Firearms. It's actually made under the old blue dome in Hartford (original Colt factory) and the quality is second to none. Unfortunately the price is commensurate with the quality. :(

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I could not agree more with NM. The newest Vaqueros are a bit smaller and more in-line with the Colts.
The Blackhawks are a slight deviation from the true cowboy gun, but a little more versatile.
As for USFA...You pay for sexy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Cimarron Model "P" 7 1/2 inch barrel . Part # MP438.What's cool about this model is it comes with a 45ACP and 45 Long Colt cylinders. Standard blue. Case hardend frame.$545.00.The fit and finish from Cimarron is awsome.I've shot hundreds of rounds through it and never had a problem. Years ago I did read about QC problems,but nothing but good reports now.I do remember reading that Uberti bought new machinery a while back and that could be the reason for better quality. Go to Cimarron's site.I highly recomend them.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I have the Cimarron Model "P" 7 1/2 inch barrel . Part # MP438.What's cool about this model is it comes with a 45ACP and 45 Long Colt cylinders. Standard blue. Case hardend frame.$545.00.The fit and finish from Cimarron is awsome.I've shot hundreds of rounds through it and never had a problem. Years ago I did read about QC problems,but nothing but good reports now.I do remember reading that Uberti bought new machinery a while back and that could be the reason for better quality. Go to Cimarron's site.I highly recomend them.
I may be wrong here, but I believe the Uberti guns are shipped here, and then disassembled and hand-fitted by Cimarron.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I may be wrong here, but I believe the Uberti guns are shipped here, and then disassembled and hand-fitted by Cimarron.
If that's the case, they're severely under priced. Looking through the MSRP's they're close to identical.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
If that's the case, they're severely under priced. Looking through the MSRP's they're close to identical.
OK DM, I did a bit of research. Uberti makes the guns to Cimarron's specifications. That's why they are a higher end revolver.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Taylor's makes a clone called the "Smoke Wagon", and if you go to Long Hunter Shooting Supply they can trick it out for you at a great price and you'll have a tuned SAA ready to rock.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Since I was a kid, I have always loved cowboy guns, from the single action six shooters to the lever action rifles. That is a really classy looking gun.
And your avatar used them in a lot of his movies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try www.emf.com and check the Great Western IIs. Copy of a 2nd Gen Colt with some parts interchangeable. Don't need action work to be smooth like so many others. Rugers Vaqueros ar fine guns, but I sold mine. I have a pair of Stainless Westerns and a pair with Doug Turnbull's real case hardening. I've been shooting CAS for over 10 years and these are the first guns that are staying with me.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If any of y'all live in IL, GAT Guns in East Dundee has a real nice selection of new and used guns, a lot of the single action revolvers y'all are talking bout.

I like this one in particular:

TI034110

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
bang for the buck, it's gonna be hard to beat a .357 mag Vaquero.

me, I love some .44 Mag Super Blackhawks.

Blackhawks can also double as hammers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts