Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I finally caught the bug and want to do a pretty low budget build. What is the best route to take? I'm looking at a complete lower from Plum Crazy for $119 I just dont what to do for the upper. Should I buy a complete if so from where and what brands (keep in mind low budget)? Would it better and more cost effective to peice one together? I also want to do all new parts not used. The rifle is going to be used mainly just for fun. Thank you for helping a newb.

·
Administrator
22,443 Posts
I bought a STAG kit a long time ago. It came with everything but the lower receiver. I bought that locally and built it. This was during the time of when the M4 was going up in price due to Obama rumor of banning them. I built mine for 900 bucks when they were going for 2k a piece.

There is my cousin shooting my HK91 and my M4 next to it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info and nice rifle thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I personally would not get a Plum Crazy lower. They are polymer, and there are many reports of them cracking in critical places. They work great for .22 lowers, but I wouldn't use them for full-blown 5.56 lowers.

About the cheapest and highest quality route you can go is to go to http://www.palmettostatearmory.com. You can build a complete AR there for very close to $600, and the quality will be top notch. I personally can't come up with a reason to go anywhere else... unless you just want a different name. I just had 2 more of their lowers delivered today. They are awesome, their stuff is primo, and affordable. If you don't want to build... it won't cost you that much more to get completed lowers and uppers or a full rifle even. Check 'em out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks that really gives me more to look at.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I'll know more probably late this week or next week but I'm going to take a run at Red X Arms. I'm adding the 20" to a lower that I already have. Will have a range report after I get a chance to shoot it. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please let me know how that works out. I really like the pricing from them. By the way I originally grew up in Armstrong Creek not too far from Rhinelander.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm with the previous poster on Palmetto State Armory. From the tons of research I've done, they offer quality parts for very competitive prices. For a complete rifle in the $600 range, you can't go wrong. Plus, you can always swap out some parts later on to upgrade if you'd like.

I'm a noob myself in the AR field and will be putting together a complete PSA rifle soon. Bought the stripped lower with their MOE build kit for ~$180 and will be ordering a complete 16” upper for $615. $795 to have my first AR exactly how I want it is not bad IMO.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Please let me know how that works out. I really like the pricing from them. By the way I originally grew up in Armstrong Creek not too far from Rhinelander.
Will do!

Small world. Grew up in Stevens Point. Moved here from The People's Republic of Madison. :oops:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I went with Mega Machine lowers personally and built it out. Pretty easy to do.

As for uppers, I'd recommend BCM: Upper Receiver Groups AR 15
Thats EXACTLY what I did with my first rifle! It the 16" build in my signature. But I wasn't trying to build the cheapest rifle i could. I built it with my intentions in mind so I didn't end up spending twice as much in the end. After 6 months of research I built my first rifle and the only thing I ended up swapping was my rail which I used on my second build... the other one in my signature.

Palmetto State Armory is probably your best bet for budget build.
Here another place I purchase from frequently great prices and usually free shipping. Our Catalog
For alternate upper assembly packages Our Catalog

·
Registered
780 Posts
Brother you haven't caught the bug yet! You just have the symptoms! You caught the bug when your done with your second rifle build less then 6 months after your first and already building a third...
Thats catching the bug!
Which turns into BRD... :shock:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Oh yeah, there's one missing of course, the first one!

PSA lower
PSA MOE LPK (awesome LPK, btw)
Lightly used Del-Ton 20" A2 Upper I got a great deal on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts