Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cleaning my XD last night (just the slide and barrel) my trigger has developed a catch. I have created a video because it was just easier to demonstrate. I have been dry firing every day for the past week to work on my trigger pull so I would have noticed this before.

As far as I can tell the only thing moving is the trigger bar. Looking for some help other than "sounds like it's time to get the PRP trigger kit" :D

Sorry the audio quality was really diminished when youtube processed the video.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
So, the sear never releases so the striker can move forward?

Can you do another video with the the slide off? We need to see a view from the top to see if the sear is moving when you pull the trigger.

Can you get the slide off if the trigger won't pull? You may have to use a small screwdriver to push the sear down manually to remove the slide.

My first guess is the sear spring, but its to soon to guess

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, the sear never releases so the striker can move forward?

Can you do another video with the the slide off? We need to see a view from the top to see if the sear is moving when you pull the trigger.

Can you get the slide off if the trigger won't pull? You may have to use a small screwdriver to push the sear down manually to remove the slide.

My first guess is the sear spring, but its to soon to guess
Sorry, the sear moves and the striker can move forward. The catch/roughness is in the slack before the striker is actually released (sorry, don't know the technical term, take up?). The gun will fire properly.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Sorry, the sear moves and the striker can move forward. The catch/roughness is in the slack before the striker is actually released (sorry, don't know the technical term, take up?). The gun will fire properly.
Oh ok, it looked like the trigger was making a full travel but not releasing.

I would say to get some gun scrubber spray or non chlorinated brake cleaner. Take the slide off and completely clean out the trigger area and sear area, then one drop of oil in each area and reassemble. See if that improves it.

I doubt its related, and I hate to bring this up due to all the issues surrounding it, but there may be a 1in 10,000 chance your striker retaining pin is broken, but I don't see that causing the issue, but you could check that as well by removing it with the slide off and punching from the inside to drive the pin out the top. Again, I stress, this is a very RARE occurance and probably not the problem.

I say dirty trigger/sear parts, you may even need to go as far as removing them to check for burrs, but if you go that far, then you may as well do a trigger kit.

Keep us up to date

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can certainly try that.

If the take up is 100% smooth with the slide off, it seems like if it was corrosion of some sort it would still be rough no matter what. It seems like it must have to do with the trigger bar since that's the only thing moving at the time of the "catch"...obviously I'm not a gunsmith, but I'm fairly mechanical.

Does the trigger bar travel through that little groove in the slide? Is that the out of battery safety?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I can certainly try that.

If the take up is 100% smooth with the slide off, it seems like if it was corrosion of some sort it would still be rough no matter what. It seems like it must have to do with the trigger bar since that's the only thing moving at the time of the "catch"...obviously I'm not a gunsmith, but I'm fairly mechanical.

Does the trigger bar travel through that little groove in the slide? Is that the out of battery safety?
So the issue goes away with slide off?

The trigger bar does get pressed down by the slide and that notch, I don't know about "through" maYbe just differnet terms for same meaning?

Trigger bar could be dirty, as mentioned it is a trigger/sear part so clean it all down.

Do you oil the striker at all? If you do, stop, clean the striker channel out to, then leave dry or use a very very small amount of dry graphite

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, cleaned it up with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and it is better. Still there, but better. Maybe I'm just getting to know the trigger better. I can see the wear point on the trigger bar, I might hit that with some steel wool or fine sand paper to polish it a bit.

At least I'm learning things in the process!

I don't oil the striker. I just put a little dab of oil on each slide rail.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Ok, cleaned it up with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and it is better. Still there, but better. Maybe I'm just getting to know the trigger better. I can see the wear point on the trigger bar, I might hit that with some steel wool or fine sand paper to polish it a bit.

At least I'm learning things in the process!

I don't oil the striker. I just put a little dab of oil on each slide rail.

Thanks for your help!
glad its getting better

can you take pics of the wear point on the trigger bar?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
just took another look @ your vid, can you confirm the grip safety is depressed completely when it gets rough......might take two hands to make sure its all the pressed for testing purposes

kind of a random thought, I am just brainstorming

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The grip safety is completely depressed, I thought of that too. I double checked just now to be sure.

This is the best shot I could get:

Another angle:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I'm not going to worry about it anymore. I'm pretty sure it's just the trigger bar moving out of the groove. It's better after I cleaned it. I'll be getting a trigger kit before long I'm sure :D

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I don't know if it is me or not, but in your video, at around 48 or 49 seconds, the striker indicator looks to be sticking out a little far.

Maybe a broken striker retainer pin?

maybe someone else can help out.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I don't know if it is me or not, but in your video, at around 48 or 49 seconds, the striker indicator looks to be sticking out a little far.

Maybe a broken striker retainer pin?

maybe someone else can help out.

Stay Safe.
I believe that's when he had the take down lever up, that would make the slide move farther and thus making the indicator stick out more......my does atleast

·
Registered
827 Posts
Then look at 53 seconds just before he put his hand on it, you'll have to pause the video, as he is tilting the weapon forward, the striker indicator is gone.

Is that normal?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Then look at 53 seconds just before he put his hand on it, you'll have to pause the video, as he is tilting the weapon forward, the striker indicator is gone.

Is that normal?
yeah, i do see that....

I have two answers, none of which are very good....lol

1. his audio says "remove the slide" but then the slide never comes off, I wonder if its edited at all....

OP, did you edit the vid at all?

2. other answer is, its such a quick movement and at just the right angle you dont see it and his hand covers it just before you would.

like I said, not very good answers and i do see your point.....have to hear from the OP......

·
Registered
827 Posts
I agree, it's hard to tell by just watching the video. I would need to see in person or a better video.

And i'm to lazy to go upstairs and get my xdm to look at it to compare, and the glock i have beside me just isn't the same... LOL

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I agree, it's hard to tell by just watching the video. I would need to see in person or a better video.

And i'm to lazy to go upstairs and get my xdm to look at it to compare, and the glock i have beside me just isn't the same... LOL

Stay Safe.
yeah and honestly an XDm would only be close because of the no trigger pull takedown.

My XD's are upstairs to, the AR-15 I have beside me also is not the same.....lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The striker indicator does move out with the take down lever up because the striker spring pushes the slide forward. The video is not edited, I was just stating that the "catch" is not there with the slide removed. I never actually pulled the trigger all the way, so the striker indicator appearing to be gone must just be an illusion.

The "catch" has to be the trigger bar moving through the groove in the slide as the bar moves forward. I can hold the gun with the side facing me and see (looking between the frame and slide) the bar moving forward as I feel the "catch." It seems to be smoothed out now, maybe there was a piece of carbon buildup that was cleaned off or a bur that has smoothed out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts