Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29,860 Posts
What brand/product line/weight/caliber of ammo was used? What's the history of the XD? How old? How many rounds have been cycled?
Pretty much immaterial on all points, as long as it was factory. If this was caused by a defective (overpressure) round, it could be anything—defects happen, albeit rarely this catastrophic in effect.

If it was a squib…that’s really more on the shooter.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Wonder if they were shooting Winchester, Browning, or Herter's 9mm 115gr ammo that is on the recall lists? That could explain the squib. Also wondering if the OP will post followup?

·
Registered
189 Posts
@BigG XDM, you may be spot on. Perhaps the OP is busy with other things and doesn't have time to answer various questions.

With that said, when I read "Daughter in law had to go to hospital jammed thumb and strained shoulder" in his second-ever post, I found that statement to be so odd, I immediately thought he was trying to establish a paper trail of sorts for a potential liability litigation case. I'm probably wrong, but that was the very first thing that entered my mind.....

·
Registered
438 Posts
@BigG XDM, you may be spot on. Perhaps the OP is busy with other things and doesn't have time to answer various questions.

With that said, when I read "Daughter in law had to go to hospital jammed thumb and strained shoulder" in his second-ever post, I found that statement to be so odd, I immediately thought he was trying to establish a paper trail of sorts for a potential liability litigation case. I'm probably wrong, but that was the very first thing that entered my mind.....
I personally think that's digging a little too deep, I'm sure that a deep investigation would really prove. What actually happened. I'm going with a squib load OP didn't know how to respond and shot a second round which caused the failure.

·
Registered
209 Posts
View attachment 845575 View attachment 845575 View attachment 845575
Happened at the range yesterday, zoom in on chamber, frame bent and cracked
Call customer service and get a return authorization to send the firearm back, I don't think the Firearm was defective but the ammo was I think you had a squib load pop no kick then fired another round on top of the squib load and the gun exploded. There was a recall on some Winchester Ammo as well as Federal I have a friend this Ruger Carbine blew up because of a squib load pop no Kick then another round was fired on top of the squib and his barrel was split open. When you have a pop no kick stop shooting inspect the barrel if a round is stuck in the barrel the best way to remove it is with a blank round most of the time a blank can remove a squib load.

·
Registered
687 Posts
When you have a pop no kick stop shooting inspect the barrel if a round is stuck in the barrel the best way to remove it is with a blank round most of the time a blank can remove a squib load.
Not sure if many rangemasters would support extracting squib rounds with blanks. Also not sure how many shooters at a public range have blanks on hand or have knowledge of making blanks. Seems like blanks after squibs in the hands of inexperienced shooters is a recipe for disaster/misadventure.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Not sure if many rangemasters would support extracting squib rounds with blanks. Also not sure how many shooters at a public range have blanks on hand or have knowledge of making blanks. Seems like blanks after squibs in the hands of inexperienced shooters is a recipe for disaster/misadventure.
True that. I keep a dowel in my range bag for removing squibs from pistols. Clear the weapon, field strip to get the barrel separate, and depending of the caliber I'll sometimes drop a piece of spent brass, primer down, into the muzzle and use that to push the bullet. Usually I can find a hammer like object at the range to rap on the dowel, pushing the slug back out the chamber.

I've had to do this on maybe three occasions by surprise, once knowingly.

As mentioned, the ket with squibs is knowing that the possibility exists, and knowing to clear the weapon and check/clear the barrel of any obstructions before attempting to chamber or fire another round.

·
Registered
29,860 Posts
Call customer service and get a return authorization to send the firearm back, I don't think the Firearm was defective but the ammo was I think you had a squib load pop no kick then fired another round on top of the squib load and the gun exploded. There was a recall on some Winchester Ammo as well as Federal I have a friend this Ruger Carbine blew up because of a squib load pop no Kick then another round was fired on top of the squib and his barrel was split open. When you have a pop no kick stop shooting inspect the barrel if a round is stuck in the barrel the best way to remove it is with a blank round most of the time a blank can remove a squib load.
Using a blank is about the stupidest thing I can think of.

The best way, acknowledged by reputable gunsmiths everywhere, is to use a dowel and pound it out the muzzle.

Only a complete moron would use a blank.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have had a squib load get stuck in my 9mm pistol barrel I use a nylon dowel made for removing squibs, I whacked it with a hammer and could not move it so I had a box of 9mm blanks and dislodged the squib I shoot in my back yard I fired the blank and cleared the squib load with no problem.I had a squib once in a 22 rifle and use a blank from a .22 nail gun to remove the squib. No Rangemasters here nor inexperienced shooters either and no disasters or misadventures. It worked no overpressures with a blank I just wanted to share this with you my 60 years of shooting and blanks have been used when the wooded and nylon dowel rods failed in the past in articles in old guns and ammo magazine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
True that. I keep a dowel in my range bag for removing squibs from pistols. Clear the weapon, field strip to get the barrel separate, and depending of the caliber I'll sometimes drop a piece of spent brass, primer down, into the muzzle and use that to push the bullet. Usually I can find a hammer like object at the range to rap on the dowel, pushing the slug back out the chamber.

I've had to do this on maybe three occasions by surprise, once knowingly.

As mentioned, the ket with squibs is knowing that the possibility exists, and knowing to clear the weapon and check/clear the barrel of any obstructions before attempting to chamber or fire another round.
In 60 years of shooting I have had one squib in a 9mm pistol and one .22 Rifle in both cases I use a blank cartridge to remove the squib no danger in that and in both cases it worked. Just sharing information for what works I live in a red state and we shoot in the backyard range.No need for rangemasters I am the Rangemaster around here !

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've done a number of 124 JHP loads with 5.4 gr. of Auto comp powder and the kick was substantial for that caliber in my XD sub but, no signs of over pressure at all.

·
Registered
29,860 Posts
Using a blank is about the stupidest thing I can think of.

The best way, acknowledged by reputable gunsmiths everywhere, is to use a dowel and pound it out the muzzle.

Only a complete moron would use a blank.
I have had a squib load get stuck in my 9mm pistol barrel I use a nylon dowel made for removing squibs, I whacked it with a hammer and could not move it so I had a box of 9mm blanks and dislodged the squib I shoot in my back yard I fired the blank and cleared the squib load with no problem.I had a squib once in a 22 rifle and use a blank from a .22 nail gun to remove the squib. No Rangemasters here nor inexperienced shooters either and no disasters or misadventures. It worked no overpressures with a blank I just wanted to share this with you my 60 years of shooting and blanks have been used when the wooded and nylon dowel rods failed in the past in articles in old guns and ammo magazine.
Yeah. I’ll stick with my final statement.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Let's stir the pot a little

No need for rangemasters I am the Rangemaster around here ! Biden is that you?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts