Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father has reloaded all his ammo for years, I have never seen him buy ammo except for his rimfires. He has all the reloading equipment needed. He casts his Black powder rounds, but with pistol and rifle he buys the bullets. I have been saving my 45acp brass for a while and have a few people doing the same for me, I have around 4000 cases. My Uncle owns a rather large tire shop so I can get all the Lead wheel weights I want. So for my Plinking rounds I have been thinking of cast 45acp. I looked at the Lee pro 4-20 furnace and the 6 cavity mold. It looks as if I can get started for around a hundred bucks. Any advice? From what I have read the XD has no problem with cast lead.

·
Premium Member
21,748 Posts
Just clean your gun after your done since that lead will coat the barrel. Wash your hands to so your dont consume the lead.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The 45acp is one of the best rounds to run lead bullets in. It's about all I shoot in any caliber, any gun but small bore GLocks & USP. Done properly, lead bullets trasnfer very little lead to a bbl. The biggest issue is getting the bullet the right size to fit the bbl. With modern guns, going 0.001" larger than jacketed bullets yields pretty good results w/ most 45acp. The Lee pot is a bargain, Just make sure to use clean alloy & never run it dry. The molds yes & no. QC is pretty poor @ Lee. You can get great molds that make great bullets or undersize, oversize, burrs, loose handles, loose & warped spru plates, all kinds of things can go bad on their molds right out of the box. Get a good one, you are lucky IMO. SOmetimes you can fix them, sometimes sending them back is just easier. The XD does NOT like to run a SWC, so go RN for 100% reliabilty.
Get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Lots of good stuff about casting. this sight here has a ton of useful info on alloy, sizing & bullet lubes. Cast bullet reference on lead alloy's, min / max pressure, lube, shrinkage,
AFter casting you then have to decide on how to lube them. SOme swear by tumble lubing using Alox products & shooting unsized, then some like a sizer that lubes & sizes in one pass, like a press. I prefer the luber/sizer method, but it does add cost. The best is the Magma STar. Do not buy anything else if going that route. It's just the best & at least twice as fast as any other.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Don't forget to clean your dies occassionally. Bullet lube and very rarely lead shavings can clog up your seating die.

·
Premium Member
127,144 Posts
Don't forget to clean your dies occassionally. Bullet lube and very rarely lead shavings can clog up your seating die.

I learned that the hard way!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I cast .44, 9mm, and .40 using Lee dies and I've had no problems with them. I tumble lube and size. The Lee Alox is OK but it's sticky, I found a recipe for altering the Alox that give you a drier lube that leads the barrel less it also doesn't clog up the dies as much.

I meant to say molds not dies.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I cast .44, 9mm, and .40 using Lee dies and I've had no problems with them. I tumble lube and size. The Lee Alox is OK but it's sticky, I found a recipe for altering the Alox that give you a drier lube that leads the barrel less it also doesn't clog up the dies as much.

I meant to say molds not dies.
Are you mixing w/ JPW &/or mineral spirits? It's what a lot of guys looking for less stickie bullets use. I just find it easier to lube/size in a press format. Started w/ the Lyman & then got a Star, sold the Lyman, just no comparison.:D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 45acp is one of the best rounds to run lead bullets in. It's about all I shoot in any caliber, any gun but small bore GLocks & USP. Done properly, lead bullets trasnfer very little lead to a bbl. The biggest issue is getting the bullet the right size to fit the bbl. With modern guns, going 0.001" larger than jacketed bullets yields pretty good results w/ most 45acp. The Lee pot is a bargain, Just make sure to use clean alloy & never run it dry. The molds yes & no. QC is pretty poor @ Lee. You can get great molds that make great bullets or undersize, oversize, burrs, loose handles, loose & warped spru plates, all kinds of things can go bad on their molds right out of the box. Get a good one, you are lucky IMO. SOmetimes you can fix them, sometimes sending them back is just easier. The XD does NOT like to run a SWC, so go RN for 100% reliabilty.
Get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Lots of good stuff about casting. this sight here has a ton of useful info on alloy, sizing & bullet lubes. Cast bullet reference on lead alloy's, min / max pressure, lube, shrinkage,
AFter casting you then have to decide on how to lube them. SOme swear by tumble lubing using Alox products & shooting unsized, then some like a sizer that lubes & sizes in one pass, like a press. I prefer the luber/sizer method, but it does add cost. The best is the Magma STar. Do not buy anything else if going that route. It's just the best & at least twice as fast as any other.
Great information Thank you very much sir.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Are you mixing w/ JPW &/or mineral spirits? It's what a lot of guys looking for less stickie bullets use. I just find it easier to lube/size in a press format. Started w/ the Lyman & then got a Star, sold the Lyman, just no comparison.:D
Yep,

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would recommend getting Lyman's book on bullet casting. that will get you well started. Also suggest you go to Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets! and do some searches. there are many threads on starting to cast bullets and exactly what you need and how to do it. You can start out cheap or go right to the top of the line equipment. Your idea of a 20 pound pot is the right first step but molds, sizing and lubing have to be understood also.

It's not hard but there are some "things" you need to know and understand to make good bullets that won't lead your barrel. And yes, it can be done in almost all barrels but some will lead no matter what you do.

Cleaning lead out of a barrel is no big deal and easier to do than cleanind copper out. Copper Chore Boy, NOT the copper coated steel Chore Boy, wrapped around a bore brush will get it all out in a few minutes or less.

Once you start casting with that free lead you will find you can shoot for less than or right around $4 per 100 rounds. You will be the envy of the range. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts