Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I safely shoot cast lead bullets in my XD 45c? I have been wanting to get into the reloading thing and was wondering if the cheaper cost of the cast lead bullets will do harm in the my XD.
Thanks for the help. All info is welcomed here.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You should have no problems at all using cast bullets in your XD45. I'd be using cast in mine except most of my shooting is indoors and most indoor ranges now frown on cast bullets.

The only caution I would give is to make sure you use bullets that are really hard cast. A good hard cast bullet is just slightly softer than a FMJ bullet and will not lead your barrel like a soft cast or swaged lead bullet will.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Unless you're casting your own, I don't think you'll be saving anything over a FMJ round. I just did a quick search at midwayusa.com, and Ranier 185gr FMJ run at $117 per 1000, 230gr @ $129. I didn't see any .451 diamater lead-cast bullets on the website, just .452, which is the diameter for the .45 Colt cartridge. I've never tried reloading a .452 diamater bullet in an ACP case before, and that 1/1000th of an inch just might make or break the deal on that one. The cheapest deal was roughly $100 per 1000 for lead, making it $.02-$.03 cheaper, but for my taste I'll stick to a copper jacketed round for reloading, as it makes for easier cleaning. I like only needing a bore-snake for cleaning the barrel. Using an all-lead bullet might make for more work.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Cast lead bullets won't hurt an XD at all. The barrel of the XD, as you know, is regular rifling and not polygonal, etc. It is safe to shoot cast lead through them.

That being said, most XD users have difficulty running SWC (Semi-wad cutter) type bullets. They cause failure to feed issues. That said, Lead RN should feed and function just fine.

As for the cost differential...depending on where you are buying from, the difference between lead and cast may not be all that different, but Midway isn't the cheapest place to find reloading components anymore...particularly with S&H getting higher and higher and demand still through the roof. You should definitely shop around and wherever you end up buying them from...make sure that you are really saving money going the cast lead route because it does increase fouling in your bore, cleaning time, the likelihood of jams due to fouling, etc. That is particularly true depending on what type of bullet luve is used on the cast bullets.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Unless you're casting your own, I don't think you'll be saving anything over a FMJ round. I just did a quick search at midwayusa.com, and Ranier 185gr FMJ run at $117 per 1000, 230gr @ $129. I didn't see any .451 diamater lead-cast bullets on the website, just .452, which is the diameter for the .45 Colt cartridge. I've never tried reloading a .452 diamater bullet in an ACP case before, and that 1/1000th of an inch just might make or break the deal on that one. The cheapest deal was roughly $100 per 1000 for lead, making it $.02-$.03 cheaper, but for my taste I'll stick to a copper jacketed round for reloading, as it makes for easier cleaning. I like only needing a bore-snake for cleaning the barrel. Using an all-lead bullet might make for more work.
I believe the Ranier bullets you have listed are plated bullets and not FMJ bullets. You are correct they are competitive in price to lead bullets. FMJ rounds however are a lot more expensive. There are those who whould say that plated bullets are not as accurate but I can't say that has proven true in my experience.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I shoot lasercast 230gr LRN bullets through mine and have not had any issues at all. The recipe I use is 4 grains of bullseye with that bullet and it's a nice target load. Light recoil and good accuracy. It is a dirty load so if you plan to shoot IDPA or IPSC, you may want to bring a bore snake and a can of gun scrubber with you to clean between matches.
One thing to keep in mind is you do not want to be pushing lead bullets in the 1,000fps range or you will start to lead the barrel. Try this load or other low velocity loads and stay away from Semi-Wad cutters with the XD and you should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts