Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm traveling to my parents for an extended stay and want to take my XD. I need a flight approved case and I'm really really cheap after forking over a wad of dough for presents for my plethora of nieces, nephews and, new this year, step-nieces and nephews.

so. The TSA guidelines are:

• The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
  • The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
  • You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
so my question is:

can I just use a tacklebox or ammo can that I can securely latch and lock? If not, what's the cheapest option that I can get to shove into my checked bag?

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Try a Pelican case...you can pick one up at Cabela's. I toted both my weapons around the country in one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Doskocil makes really sturdy pistol cases that are great for this application. Do a web search for the brand and to find the best prices. I think Cabela's carries a selection.

Good luck.
Dan

·
Registered
291 Posts
the factory case works just fine it even has a place to put the lock on it...you should have no problem remember keep ammo seperate or just buy it when you get there

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I would want something like the pelican or storms hardigg because I know they will handle abuse. The problem is it's not like you can put your own lock on it. You have to use a TSA lock. Which means anyone in the back with a key can take it. So having a sturdy case only protects in transport, not from theft. And I've read several stories of theft.

See if you can get it insured if you fly with it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
When I flew Delta they told me it had to be in the "Factory Hard Case" and locked with my lock, so only I had the key. I guess every airlines has their own rules.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ship it.

Have your local FFL ship it to an FFL in that area. Sure it'll cost about double what a good case will, but then again... you're more likely to see your gun again this way. ;)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Ship it.

Have your local FFL ship it to an FFL in that area. Sure it'll cost about double what a good case will, but then again... you're more likely to see your gun again this way. ;)
I don't know about double. Pelican cases are pretty damn expensive. :razz:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Cabela's -- Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe

It meets TSA guidelines, and for only $30.
That is without a doubt the Center of Mass Key Lock safe, guess they sell it under several guises.

And by the way, that is the "standard" in that ad, and it will NOT hold the gun SHOWN in the ad. You need the large for that, 37.99 from COM:

Center Of Mass Central

Anyway, I have one, and it's well worth it, both for car (with the cable), or for traveling/flying.

- OS

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just curious... would the factory XD case work?
Debatable....little flimsy hole in the plastic handle.
I sure wouldn't just show up with it ready to fly; maybe take it to counter previously and ask.
The additional prob is that each airline may have additional rules to TSA's.

- OS

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Cabela's -- Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe

It meets TSA guidelines, and for only $30.
http://www.center-of-mass.com/index.htm
http://www.center-of-mass.com/index.htm

Big +1 on this case (in the larger size). Small and secure, it easily fits in your checked bag without taking up a lot of room. Given what the airlines charge for each checked bag these days, that is a critical consideration.

I use this case when I travel. I have had zero problems with it flying on American, Delta, Continental, US Air or Southwest.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I recently flew with my XD. I put it in the factory case, with my own lock on the case, and then locked it to the inside of my bag, followed by a TSA lock on the bag. Perfectly safe, probably not, but more likely to deter someone.

TSA rules state that the gun case must be locked with your own lock. It was a pretty painless process flying with it too, the lady at the check-in desk said they get a lot stranger things checked in than firearms. I didn't ask, I probably didn't want to know.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
I've flown with firearms a bunch and vote for the factory case.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have traveled a good bit with my guns and while most arilines have their own regulations most of them will go by the TSA guidlines. What I have been told over and over is that the gun must be in a hard case (factory case is fine but unlocked unless it is with a TSA lock and this inner case does not have to be locked). This has to be inside a hard sided suitcase or other type of case (pelican or whatever). This outer case must be locked and they recommend the TSA locks. You can get these at Lowes for about $20 for two locks. They are a combination lock but have a standard key that only the TSA has. You are supposed to only use these locks. Anything else will probably be broken off by them to inspect.

Regarding ammo, I have been told multiple times at multiple airports and by mulitiple airlines that the ammo must be in its original box.

When you check in you must tell the agent that it is in the luggage and fill out a form stating that it is unloaded. I always try to go with them and watch while they inspect. Things have dissappeared from luggage so you never have a guarantee. If you can't accompany them just hang around the check in desk for a while. That way if they have a problem or question they will call the desk to get you.

Make sure you check in about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs early so there is plenty of time. I would also call the airlines you are flying with to double check all of this since some of it is open to interpretation.

I also will open my case as soon as I get it from the luggage carousel, just enough to confirm that the inner case is still there. If possible I will carefully open the inner case as well. Be very careful that no one sees inside as this can cause some trouble but there really is nothing wrong with having it there. This way if something is wrong youcan tell them right away. I have never had any problems flying with mine when I have followed these rules. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
There is a lot of incorrect info here, but a few people have it right.

In order to travel with a handgun, it must be in a locked hard case, which is put inside your luggage. The lock on the gun case should not be a TSA lock -- you should be the only one with a key to that case. The factory case for your handgun should be sufficient. In addition to this lock, I would recommend using a cable lock to secure the gun case to the inside of your luggage as well. I would also recommend using a TSA approved lock on the outside of your luggage.

You will have to tell them at the ticketing counter that you are traveling with your firearm, and they will direct you to TSA who will ask you to open your locked gun case for inspection. After it is inspected, you will be asked to lock the case again and secure it to the inside of your luggage. Make sure you do not have ammo with you unless you follow the TSA guidelines for this as well (limited weight, approved container, etc).

This is the way it is supposed to work. Does it work this way in every airport and with every airline? Probably not. TSA regulations also change somewhat frequently, so make sure to check again just before you travel.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Do you really want to cheap out on a case for your $600.00 gun? Gut a good quality pistol case that will fit in your suit case. Doskocil make some very good ones for not much money. Get a TSA approved lock. When you check in, declare the pistol, get the TSA to look at it and put their seal of approval on it, then put it in your suitcase. It should be safe in the suit case. Baggage theft does happen at the airports. If it looks like a pistol case it could disappear. If is look like a suitcase, it will probably be alright. And besides, I would just image that a very small case would have more of a chance of getting lost.

disclamer: I have never flown with any kind of gun. I got this particular sceniero from other people on different boards. This seems to be the best and most common sense route.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Another case I have found that is "Pelican-like" is a case I found at Harbor Freight of all places... I paid for $40, but it may have been on sale... Link for it is Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
It is made well, rugged and air/water tight. I keep my ammo in it. There are provisions for a lock as well, and comes with foam that can be made to fit the item.

Don

1 - 20 of 31 Posts