Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k, ive had my cwp since january and i have thought several times "would if this or that" happened what would i do. so latley i have thought do i "need" a cell phone? I am one of the few that hates them. yes there are times when i needed one, I am on the phone all day long at work and when im off work i want nothing to do with them. i dont answer the phone at home unless im the only one home and then i screen the call. my family thinks im nuts because i wont answer the phone. my question is If i had an encounter where i would have to draw my weapon or shoot someone my thought is it wouldnt look good for me not reporting it when it happened. assuming i didnt shoot someone i could drive to the nearest payphone and report it. would i be o.k. without one?
Thanks for any imput

·
Registered
616 Posts
O.k, ive had my cwp since january and i have thought several times "would if this or that" happened what would i do. so latley i have thought do i "need" a cell phone? I am one of the few that hates them. yes there are times when i needed one, I am on the phone all day long at work and when im off work i want nothing to do with them. i dont answer the phone at home unless im the only one home and then i screen the call. my family thinks im nuts because i wont answer the phone. my question is If i had an encounter where i would have to draw my weapon or shoot someone my thought is it wouldnt look good for me not reporting it when it happened. assuming i didnt shoot someone i could drive to the nearest payphone and report it. would i be o.k. without one?
Thanks for any imput
I wouldn't leave. I would stay and yell for someone to call the police. That way it doesn't look like you tried to leave the scene and nobody can question as to why you were leaving if they catch you before reaching a pay phone.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
carry the cell, leave it off unless you need to make that call?

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
99% of the time I have mine on me it is off. It takes a good minute for it to fire up. By The time I call 911 myself CNN will be on scene...

Worst case scenario is you have to flag someone down and ask then to call for you.

JMO, but why waste money on one if you really dont want one. Chances are it will either be off when you need it, you forgot it, left it at home, in the car. I do it all the time and I haven't even worried the slightest about it.............

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
99% of the time I have mine on me it is off. It takes a good minute for it to fire up. By The time I call 911 myself CNN will be on scene...

Worst case scenario is you have to flag someone down and ask then to call for you.

JMO, but why waste money on one if you really dont want one. Chances are it will either be off when you need it, you forgot it, left it at home, in the car. I do it all the time and I haven't even worried the slightest about it.............
My thoughts exactly Thank you

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Get a cheap, pay as you go phone (Tracfone has some now for $10), don't give the number to anybody. It's for your use for outgoing calls, not so anyone can keep you on an electronic leash. Leave it turned off, and the battery charge will last months.

·
Premium Member
128,287 Posts
I wouldn't carry without a cellphone, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Any cell phone these days doesn't even have to have a contract to dial 911.

Find an oldish compact slim model then if you need it, you can turn it on and dial 911.
+1. Find a cheap flip phone somewhere thats not too big and leave it in the car. I keep one in my car in case of emergencies where my phone doesn't work, I'll have one that can dial 911 at least.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The problem with pay as you go is they're only good for a certain amount of days. Cells cost way to much. The question is thought provoking because if it was to go down. The police should be notified as quick as possible.

More personal responsibly.:shock:

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
The problem with pay as you go is they're only good for a certain amount of days. Cells cost way to much. The question is thought provoking because if it was to go down. The police should be notified as quick as possible.

More personal responsibly.:shock:

The way things work these days the shooting will be on youtube with a million hits before the police get there. If people see it go down the witnesses will be calling for you as it goes down. If you are questioned why you did not call, ask them if its a crime to be cellphoneless.

I only have one because work requires it. If I had a choice I would feel even more free and have alot more joy in my life knowing I do not have the dang thing.

The OP is going to hate the thing soooo much after he gets it he wont even charge it. Or will forget it. He allready knows his answer. It will become a waste of his money and effort after a very short while.

Keep your freedom bro!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
i dont answer the phone at home unless im the only one home and then i screen the call.
Sounds like someone has issues far deeper than how will I call the authorities after I have discharged my weapon.

But reality is, if you're responsible enough to have and use a weapon, then you should be responsible enough to carry a form of communication that allows you to contact the authorities once you have shot a bad guy.

Cell phones don't have to be on all the time, but if you're all alone and you screen the calls, someone you love may call you asking for your help in a time of need.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had a cell phone twice before and never used it. but that was before i had a cwp. i am also not opposed now that i do. and thanks for your imput. that is how I feel commiting a crime for being cellphoneless

·
Registered
403 Posts
Any cell phone these days doesn't even have to have a contract to dial 911.

Find an oldish compact slim model then if you need it, you can turn it on and dial 911.
+1 to this. A phone just needs to have a signal to call 911, so just get a phone that still gets signal most places you go and don't get any minutes or a contract or anything. Without minutes or a contract, no one will be able to call you, but you'll be able to call 911 and not have to depend on someone else being around and willing to help you out.

On a more general note, I find it odd that people would treat their cell phones any differently than their home phones. Do you rush over and immediately answer any and all calls you get at home? Or do you select which calls you answer and ignore calls from anyone you don't feel like talking to at the moment? Do you sometimes ignore the phone completely if you're busy with something? If you do these things with your home phone, why can't you do them with your cell phone?

This is the attitude that I take with my cell phone. Voicemail exists for a reason, and if I don't feel like answering the call, they can leave a message.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds like someone has issues far deeper than how will I call the authorities after I have discharged my weapon.

But reality is, if you're responsible enough to have and use a weapon, then you should be responsible enough to carry a form of communication that allows you to contact the authorities once you have shot a bad guy.

Cell phones don't have to be on all the time, but if you're all alone and you screen the calls, someone you love may call you asking for your help in a time of need.
I guess I have issues too because I refuse to answer the phone when I'm home unless I'm expecting the call.

So um, what did people do before cell phones? Having a cell on your person but not turned on is like carrying a gun without one in the chamber. When you really need it, it is too late. As others have said in this thread, there will be plenty of other people making the call to the police dept. Don't waste money on a phone "just in case" you have to use your gun to protect yourself.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
It always looks better if you can call the cops first.

Scenario 1: "There's a man with a gun at WalMart!!!"

Scenario 2: "I'm a licensed concealed permit holder and I just had to dry my weapon. Please send an officer right away."

Guess which one will probably go better.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Thanks Dr Phil. :rolleyes:

The only reason I have a cell phone is so my Marines can get hold of me if they get into trouble or need something. Also so my command can reach me for a recall. I guess I have issues as well.

You're right, a cell phone and a loaded firearm both carry equal responsibility. If my wife is calling my cell phone because she's in trouble, odds are I won't be able to do anything in time anyways. She knows what to do, and calling me on my cell phone isn't on that list. I can't even carry a cell phone into my office anyways so it would do no good.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I hate cell phones. I keep one in my glove box but its only for 911 calls because I don't have a plan.......I use that money on ammo.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It always looks better if you can call the cops first.

Scenario 1: "There's a man with a gun at WalMart!!!"

Scenario 2: "I'm a licensed concealed permit holder and I just had to dry my weapon. Please send an officer right away."

Guess which one will probably go better.
:pWhy was your gun wet to begin with?:razz:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts