Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wisconsin is on its way on becoming a concealed carry state, and about a month ago my grandmother in law saw it on the news. And for her, she can not understand why someone would want to carry a gun around. So my question do you still carry in a family or friends house if they are against concealed carry, and I know concealed means concealed. And I don't plan on telling her.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
In SC, you must inform and obtain permission to carry concealed into someone else's home. OTOH - concealed means concealed, but there's always the chance of it being discovered by brushing up against or hugging a family member.

All my family know I carry, and they're all cool with it.

To prevent a possible family war, I'd sit down with your grandmother and try to explain to her your feelings for needing a gun. She may not want guns in her house, that's her right and supercedes your right to carry. I am VERY seldom in a "stranger's" home, and someone I interact with on the street or in a business has no right to know if I'm carrying. I believe family members do, just to preserve good relations, especially in their homes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Until a family member asks me not to carry in their house, I intend to carry.I won't advertise that I have a gun, but if they figure it out and ask me not to bring it in their house, I would respect their wishes and leave my gun in the car.I may not make it to Thanksgiving dinner next time it's at their house though.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Do you get gun magazines like the American Rifleman or The American Handgunner? If so find the articles like Armed Citizen that post real stories about armed citizens using their weapons in self defense. This might give her an understanding about why someone like you might want to be armed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the reason you conceal carry everywhere else still applies in your Grandma's house, then you should still carry in your Grandma's house.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I carry in all my families homes. Nobody has voiced opposition, though.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I carry everywhere I am legally able to, and that includes other people's homes. Only a small handful of my family members even know I have a permit. If anyone ever sees it and asks me to leave, I will, and I'll never come back. This is more important than stupid family politics.

To the best of my knowledge, the Wisc CC law will have no requirement to inform property owners prior to you entering, just as it should be.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I carry everywhere I am legally able to, and that includes other people's homes. Only a small handful of my family members even know I have a permit. If anyone ever sees it and asks me to leave, I will, and I'll never come back. This is more important than stupid family politics.
I have been carrying for eight years and this is exactly how I do it. I have family that carries, family that owns but doesn't carry, and several anti's. So far nobody has asked me not to carry in their home, because they know I will not be back. Period. For me, it's not about being paranoid, or having a specific reason to carry at any particular location, it's about being prepared in all situations, because you don't know when something will happen. Do you only have car insurance on Tuesdays and every other Saturday night? I say carrying is like insurance. Do it all the time or not at all. Your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
127,263 Posts
All my family know I carry, and they're all cool with it.

In fact, in addition to myself both my sons, my SIL, and my son's fiance carry.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Nobody in my family or the wife's family are against CC. Nobody but my wife, son, and mother know I carry.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I carry everywhere thats legal. My parents are not anti gun but don't quite understand why I carry to family functions. They never asked me to leave it at home and my brother carries all the time as well. I say carry and stay quiet about it. If they ask you not to then you have to decide what your going to do afterwards.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
I carry around whoever, if they don't know, it's none of their business

·
Registered
616 Posts
I always carried around my family, and my wifes. Luckily, none of them have a problem with it, and most actually encourage it.

I carry a gun to keep my family safe, so I'm not going to let anyone take that away from me. Call me paranoid or whatever, but IF the day ever comes and I have to use my gun, I need to make sure I have it on me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My father is so liberal and so anti-gun that I'm convinced I went home with the wrong family at birth. I've tried to have reasonable discussions with the man, but he can't get past "why would anyone feel the need to carry a gun". I calmly explain my reasoning, and he responds with "I won't have a gun in my house". I respect his wishes and I lock it up in the car the few times I visit his house. By the way he's 76 and I'm 49. I wonder where my real family is? ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I carry where ever it is legal, and occasionally when the conversation comes to firearms, my friends and family are often utterly shocked to learn that I carry consistently. (not so much in a "your an evil person for carrying" but more of an "I would have never imagined someone like you carrying a gun around") since most of my friends and family consider me uber responsible and very adept at avoiding confrontations, it isn't hard to "disarm" them to the idea that people carrying concealed weapons can be mellow, peaceful, responsible citizens. It's just a pity that we have that stereotype. But as said earlier, should people not be able to see that we are peaceloving sheepdogs just trying to protect ourselves and our family, if they ask me to leave the gun outside, I'll leave the gun and myself outside. :|

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wisconsin is on its way on becoming a concealed carry state, and about a month ago my grandmother in law saw it on the news. And for her, she can not understand why someone would want to carry a gun around. So my question do you still carry in a family or friends house if they are against concealed carry, and I know concealed means concealed. And I don't plan on telling her.
I've been carrying for some time now and have not "told" anyone that, or when, I do. Some of my family have found out one way or another, but I have always handled "I didn't know you did that..." with "You've not seen me in the last x months (etc.) when I haven't been armed" Normally it doesn't go anywhere from there. Occasionally I have to go over the why, the risks I am addressing, etc. The thing that really shocked them was finding out that I put my wife and daughters through ccw training and they all carry as well. No one would expect my sweet ladies to be carrying deadly weapons on their person.

Same goes for friends, etc. I never bring it up, but if asked I don't lie. I may redirect the question, but if it causes them a problem (it hasn't yet) I'll either offer them the opportunity to store my weapon if they can guarantee my safety when I am in their home or leave. Probably the latter.

Bottom line is I am armed from the time I get up in the morning to the time I go to bed in the evening unless I am legally unable to carry. Haven't figured out the whole swim suit at the gym issue yet, but an LCP in swim trunks works if they are loose boxer types. Got to clean and lube it as soon as you get home :D but I'm not positive what the exposure to chlorinated water is going to do.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I carry where ever it is legal, and occasionally when the conversation comes to firearms, my friends and family are often utterly shocked to learn that I carry consistently. (not so much in a "your an evil person for carrying" but more of an "I would have never imagined someone like you carrying a gun around") since most of my friends and family consider me uber responsible and very adept at avoiding confrontations, it isn't hard to "disarm" them to the idea that people carrying concealed weapons can be mellow, peaceful, responsible citizens. It's just a pity that we have that stereotype. But as said earlier, should people not be able to see that we are peaceloving sheepdogs just trying to protect ourselves and our family, if they ask me to leave the gun outside, I'll leave the gun and myself outside. :|
+1. Could not have said it better.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I dont have a CC yet. When i told my parents about my thoughts of carrying. My mom and dad shocked me with their attitudes. They couldnt understand why I would want to. They have no problem with me shooting at their home, my dad even shoots with me. They just dont see why I should carry with me. My wife was even trying to help them understand.

So I showed them a video on youtube about an old lady that didnt have a gun and died, then a couple that had a gun and defended their home against an intruder. Not sure if it helped or not.

Ultimately, I'm going to and hope they can understand later on down the road.

D

·
0 Posts
I do. I recently traveled and spent a few days with family. Pocket carried my CM9, since I was concerned about someone hugging me and feeling an IWB gun. I remember, there was one point where I was sitting on the edge of a sofa playing some card game, and I heard a THUMP on the carpet

My heart sank, but I kept my poker face... when I looked down and reached, thank god, it was only my flashlight! CM9 was still secure in my pocket!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I dont have a CC yet. When i told my parents about my thoughts of carrying. My mom and dad shocked me with their attitudes. They couldnt understand why I would want to. They have no problem with me shooting at their home, my dad even shoots with me. They just dont see why I should carry with me. My wife was even trying to help them understand.

So I showed them a video on youtube about an old lady that didnt have a gun and died, then a couple that had a gun and defended their home against an intruder. Not sure if it helped or not.
I've seen that video and while it's dramatic, I don't think it's particularly helpful in your case, because both the incidents happened at home, so it doesn't do much to bolster the case for carrying outside the home. The video makes a great case for why you should have a gun for home defense and know how to use it, but doesn't speak directly to carrying.

If they had some examples of people defending themselves while out and about in their daily lives, it would help your case a lot more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts