Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't ask who carries a XD Service, but I will ask for suggestions for holsters. Probably IWB, maybe a SuperTuck or something similar.

Background: I'm planning to take the CCW class and get my permit next month. I've been looking at carry guns, and like the Sig P239 a lot, but really don't want to outlay that much cash for a new (or used) gun at this time, plus I haven't found anything I like better than my XD-9 Service yet, including other guns designed for carry use.

I'm a big guy, 5'8" and overweight, tho it's mostly in my belly (and I wear it well, lol). I'm concerned with 'printing' but plan to dress accordingly to avoid it. I'd rather stay with my current XD if possible, so I'm looking for suggestions for carrying what I have.

Thanks in advance for your help, folks!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Supertuck. I carry a XD45 service in a Supertuck. I am 5' 06", 160lbs and if I wear the correct shirt, it does not show at all.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I carry an XD40 service in a Supertuck. I am 5'10" approx 185lbs. No issues here with comfort or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I carry a XD40 service and and a 9mm tactical in a super tuck. I haven't had any printing problems as long as I wear a slightly loose shirt, the darker the color the less noticeable. Sometimes you can see a slight bulge, when sitting down but it looks like your carrying a cell phone, nobody notices. By the way I'm 5'6" and slightly out overweight.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have carried a 45 service, tactical and compact, as well as a 40sc in my Supertuck and MTAC. they both conceal very well, but obviously the full size grip of the service doesn't conceal as well as the smaller versions

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Also carry Service in a Supertuck. No problems at all with XD-45. In fact, I'm wearing it now in my "lesser" holster: Uncle Mikes IWB ($13.00) Experiment with different positions and cants, and get some loose fitting concealment clothing and you'll be just fine. I also strongly recommend you get a Supertuck. AWESOME holster!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have the exact same pistol my friend, and if you are certain you are going to carry IWB then the supetuck should work fine also look at Tennessee holster company they are site sponsors as well... The only reason I am hesitating about a supertuck is the amount of leather against you. For right now I went cheap...Uncle Mikes # 15 sidekick to make sure i want to carry IWB...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
*sigh*......smartcarry and DM Bullard.....both work very well....*sigh*

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
DM Bullard IWB dual carry. search my posts for my comments on it.... love it! :)

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
*sigh*......smartcarry and DM Bullard.....both work very well....*sigh*
I'll have mine out of the SuperTuck and a round off before you get your's out of the smartcarry.
I would not feel safe with a smartcarry in Fayette-nam

I have the exact same pistol my friend, and if you are certain you are going to carry IWB then the supetuck should work fine also look at Tennessee holster company they are site sponsors as well... The only reason I am hesitating about a supertuck is the amount of leather against you. For right now I went cheap...Uncle Mikes # 15 sidekick to make sure i want to carry IWB...
That "amount of Leather" is comfortable against the skin. If you feel that it is too much, modify it, I did. After wearing my SuperTuck for a couple of weeks and a couple of hundreds draws, I realized why some would get the "Combat Grip" model. that extra leather was comfortable but it also got in the way of a faster draw. I used an Exacto knife remove the comfortable feeling leather from behind the grip. My speed was faster with only a little less comfortable feeling holster. I still wear it and practice often with it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I carry the XD.40 Service also, Everyday, 365 days a year. But Am I the only one out here who uses the Blade-Tech IWB Holster? Man, I love their holsters. I have 2 of their holsters. One IWB, and one thigh. I Love em'.
Supertucks look nice, but also looks to wrap around more. Hmmm. Must be good holsters, everyone always recommends them.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Nice to know there are plenty of folks carrying the Service models. I love mine and just can't see subbing another gun for it at this point if I don't need to.

'Course that doesn't mean I can't add to my small collection, but will probably wait 'til things settle down with the economy. God knows what'll happen next. :|

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use the Comp-Tac MTAC and have nothing but good things to say about it. It's comfortable, very adjustable and the quality is excellent. What also sold me on the MTAC is that you can swap out the kydex shell for a lot less money if you change your carry gun and use the same leather and clips. Not sure if you can do that with the Supertuck.

·
Registered
559 Posts
i'm 6'0 190 and carry my XD9 svc OWB most of the time in a galco M7X matrix holster. be sure to get a good belt like an aker reinforced or galco reinforced....it did start to sag my old black leather belt after about a year. when a tucked in shirt is paramount I carry in a slightly modified Galco Skyops with a leather "sweat band" that has a cutout around the grip safety area of the XD. I do have a Galco M15X mag holster coming too and think that'll conceal a mag very well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
At 5'8" and 205 lbs, I have the IWB from Tennessee Holster and I wear it around 2 or 3 O'clock. I tried it at 4 and 5 but the grip seemed to print. Plus at 2 o'clock I draw it better and it is easier to holster. The other day I was wearing the the IWB and the XD double magazine pouch on the other side and not even my wife didn't notice.

I also have a Gaclo Fletch for outside carry when I wear a jacket or a longer shirt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I prefer leather. I think there is less holster wear with leather. The leather of my choice is from ubgholsters.com. He makes a quality product with a quick turn around, His prices are more than competitive.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I prefer leather. I think there is less holster wear with leather. The leather of my choice is from ubgholsters.com. He makes a quality product with a quick turn around, His prices are more than competitive.
He does have some nice looking holsters at products but for $70 there is nothing to get excited about. His "Exotic" line run $120 plus, and those are just plain purdy (one Texan to another).:mrgreen:

I don't always wear a jacket or vest (most of the time a golf shirt) and need to carry CCW. I use the SuperTuck for my XD service model.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Yup. Concealed means unseen, so "purdy" is unnecessary. Don't worry about looks, just get the holster that feels right, and holds your gun nice and secure. I honestly didn't like the looks of the Supertuck, wanted an all leather holster, but after reading all the reviews on here, had to buy one. I'm sold. With IWB holsters it's function over form, 100%.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also use the UBG holster IWB. Excellent quality and has held up well over a year and a half.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts