Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm in the process of evaluating my carry gun. My 1911 has grown a bit large and heavy in the past couple months, and I've been carrying less because of it. So, I tried my LCR the other day, and that carries very nice, but it doesn't seem to shoot straight!
So, I'm on the prowl for something light, small, and thin in semi-auto to try.

Right now I've got it narrowed down to something in the Kahr line, or PPS, I think. Prefer something with night sights, or at least has the option to change sights. 9mm or 45acp is fine, not a .40 fan. I understand that something this small isn't normally a range gun, but I don't really want something that is miserable to shoot either.

Any other pistols I've missed?

I'll keep working with the LCR in the meantime as well.

Thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Kahrs are great carry guns and shoot very well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just got a Kahr PM40 to carry when I need something easier to conceal. I've put about 300 rounds down range. So far I'm pretty happy with it. I was carrying a xd9sc so this thing is way smaller. Here are some pics of the 2 together.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Not sure what size 1911 you have but I assume you are aware of the Commander and CCO sized 1911s as well as Micro and Ultra lightweight 1911s such as the EMPs, Defenders, etc.

·
Premium Member
127,275 Posts
You might take a look at the Ruger 709 in 9mm. It is slim and light.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 1911 is a LW operator. At 31 oz empty, it's gotten heavy. I've lost quite a bit of weight and subsequent strength due to illness, and the operator has honestly become work to carry. I've put together a spreadsheet with a bunch of different pistols, including my current and past stable for comparison. The Kahr's are in the lead! Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I changed from a Glock 23 edc to a Kahr CW40 and am VERY happy with the change. Carry it in a Supertuck and while, yes I know it is there, it's an easy to carry gun. Quite accurate for a smaller gun, and depending on the ammo, it even seems to kick less than the Glock.

The field-strip is a little trickier than the Glock, and you want to make sure you don't bend the recoil spring... but all things considered, am glad to have it since I carry more often since it is so easy. to hide.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Not sure what size 1911 you have but I assume you are aware of the Commander and CCO sized 1911s as well as Micro and Ultra lightweight 1911s such as the EMPs, Defenders, etc.

I'm with him....^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
^damn that kimber is sexy!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My current carry weapons are now CW45 and PM45. If it's hot and I need to pocket carry I take the PM. On my hip it's the CW.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You might take a look at the Ruger 709 in 9mm. It is slim and light.
Hey Slugger, are you talking about a Ruger LC9, or the Taurus 709;)

The Walther PPS 9mm is a great carry firearm, slim , accurate , I carry mine as a EDC and it's great at the range too. I lke the fact that your can tailor the grip size, 6/7/8 rnd mags.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Carry what you shoot best. For me, that's the XD9SC with a PRP trigger, 13 round flush mag, Pearce pinky grip, and TruGlo TFO sights.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys! I shot the XD9SC extremely well, but I just couldn't hide it! I'll look at the G36. I know it's a little slimmer. I'm trying to get my hands on a Kahr 45 and PPS to shoot local.

Mike

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
In a decent caliber, it doesn't get much thinner than a 1911. SO a lt.wt. Comm or OM would fit the need & you already know the guns controls. My EDC is 1911PD w/ a bobtail, very light, very thin, I hardly know I have it on. My OM is smaller but all steel & heavier. The Sig239 is about the same size as the OM, a tiny bit thicker, chambered in 9mm, 40 or 357sig. It is my other choice for EDC. I have never liked the trigger on the Kahr, but the size is nice. The new Ruger LCP is worth a look too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For what it's worth, I have owned many different caliber handguns and just about every style and configuration from all manufacturers and I just can't beat the 1911. I too had an issue with my Kimber Gold Match and it's size. I didn't have the funds to just go out and buy another gun to replace it so I had to part with it and I found a great replacement. I did a lot of research and found the Citadel Compact 1911. It's an officer size 1911. It is still heavier than some options out there, but no one beats the slimness of the 1911 unless you switch to a pea shooter and I'm not going to trust my life to those. Check out the Citadel, they are great guns and very affordale ($500) and well made. Good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would highly recommend the Kahr K9. They are, to me, the ultimate single stack 9mm carry pistol. Look into it. You won't be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts