Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a backpacking/hiking trip planned in the near future and plan on carrying. I will be carrying a .40 Caliber Subcompact XD. I am looking for open carry options please, concealed carry is not an option. This will be my first backpacking trip where I will be carrying, so I would love some suggestions or pictures of types of holsters or best positions to carry while wearing a hiking pack. Thanks a ton in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For me it depends on the type of pack. If I have my day/overnight pack without the waistband I can go with my serpa on my waist. I still get a slight rub; nothing that bugs too much but I am considering options. If you have a waistband you might look into a leg rig or something that can attach to your shoulder strap. The serpa molle attachment is what my buddy uses to attach to the nylon strap that rides over the shoulder pad. That's the great thing about the serpa system. A lot of options but more money to spend.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
I've been researching the same issue. We hike & camp often around north Georgia, and I usually carry either my Glock 19 or 30s in a regular Winthrop leather OWB.

I recently picked up a G22, and I'm thinking about ordering a Safariland 6378 for it. My buddy has one, and it rides nicely & has good retention.

I have looked into a chest holster, but I'm not sold on them yet.

Good luck! I'm subscribing...;)

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
I couldn't figure out how to use any of my holsters due to interference with my Osprey backpack so I tucked it in a side pocket of the backpack.

A shoulder rig, maybe?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I've been thinking about the same thing. I guess one option would be 5.11 cargo pants with large side pockets. At least more accessible than inside the pack on your back.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Get a chest rig and you can hike like a tactical operator!
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
Open or concealed?

If concealed--consider a Maxpedition gearslinger--or a fanny pack worn on the front. What screams "I have a gun!" In most public places looks perfectly natural hiking.

If open...it really doesn't matter. Get a good OWB holster and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Open or concealed?

If concealed--consider a Maxpedition gearslinger--or a fanny pack worn on the front. What screams "I have a gun!" In most public places looks perfectly natural hiking.

If open...it really doesn't matter. Get a good OWB holster and call it a day.

The problem is that Most guns cant be worn on the waistband when hiking due to the hipbelt of you ruck/backpack.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
With my hunting pack (Easton Fullbore) on most OWB holster don't work very well for me.

I had a Safariland 6304 drop rig that I used with my XDM but hiking a long ways with a thigh rig isn't ideal for comfort.

A low ride duty holster from either Safariland or Blade-Tech sits low enough to be out of the way of the waist strap. I have a Blade-Tech duty holster for my G19 that works well with my pack on.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I went out a while ago. First day I kept it in the pack, in the brain on top. The second day I kept it in the cargo pocket of my pants, Wasn't comfy. I plan on getting a rig sorta like this
:mrgreen:
It keeps the gun in easy access and also the ability to keep snacks and what not in front o you with out having to dig through your backpack. I carried my xd40sc. I have two separate back packs for camping. I have the overnight osprey and the multi-day pack. Both have the hip belts and do not have a spot to attach a holster. Wish they did though.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I was half joking when I posted that but thinking about it now. If you could find a chest rig with no back to it and molli in the front why not do something like this?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I was half joking when I posted that but thinking about it now. If you could find a chest rig with no back to it and molli in the front why not do something like this?
Well the first thought would be that it would get to hot if hiking in summer or for long distances. Molle gear does not breath well and then you have the weight from it also

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Well the first thought would be that it would get to hot if hiking in summer or for long distances. Molle gear does not breath well and then you have the weight from it also
I agree that it doesn't breath well but it certainly isn't heavy.

I think if they have something like this but with mesh backing instead of what it has it would work well.

Also incorporate this into your pack somehow so you don't have the extra set of should straps would be ideal

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I think i would find a way to attach my owb of choice to the waist strap of my pack. Probably pretty easy with some para cord and/or tubular webbing. Maybe, depending on how thick your padding a paddle holster could work? It likely would not reach around the bottom, but if the thickness is right, it could hold on there pretty good. Then if you take your pack off you could slip it on ypur waist? Just spitballing here.

My pack has a strap that rides through molle like loops along the outside of the padded portion, so i just feed the strap through the holster, back through the loops, put the buckle back on and im gtg.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
A pouch across the front. A paddle holster loop over shoulder strap.

Safariland low ride holster

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts