Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well you read enough of these threads and then have time to think, even more questions seem to come up.

Im new to concealed carry but haven't begun yet because I cannot decide on a damn holster.............Crossbreed or Comp Tac MTAC. I have just been carrying my XDm 40 in its case inside a backpack in my truck and into my office with me. I know I need to stop that because it doesn't really make sense but I feel I need to have it with me rather then leaving it at home.

I guess my main question is, how do all of you that work in an office or for somebody else carry? It's one thing when you are on your own time or on the weekends. But, I'm talking about while at work or walking to and from your car in a parking lot. I assume I can bring mine into work because there is no policy on guns and its not a posted "gun free" zone. I always feel susceptible when walking to and from my vehicle. It's on business property but being in a city environment and me holding a position of hiring and firing people also bothers me, especially in this economic environment.

Just comuting to and from work, wouldn't the place you are most at risk be at a stoplight or walking to or from a vehicle to the office/place of employment? I always like to be prepared and thats why I got my CCP. However, I just can't think of a way to carry while riding to work and then walking into work from the parking lot. Granted it's like a 20 second walk, but it would only take 1 to 2 seconds for somebody with bad intentions to be hiding in some bushes or behinfd another vehicle and step out. Knowing them or not knowing them the chance is still there in my opinion.

How do you all do it if you are in a situation like me? Do you wear it concealed and then go into the office and take off the holster for the day? Not trying to be paranoid but I always think to myself....what if? What if I didn't have it on me and something bad happened. How bad would I feel(if I was still alive) to have it in the truck and something happened on that short walk.

Is it good to keep it loose in the center console or in the holster that came with it and in the center console while driving to and from work? Put it in my backpack in that XDm holster and bring the backpack in my office? I just don't know.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I work in a prison. NO Personal firearms allowed on property, PERIOD! That explains place of employment, and driving to and from. Nothing in vehicle as well, which we have argued to no end.
Anywhere else, I always carry. even at home.
My wife carries hers in her purse. That goes to her work with her. Her purse is in a locked drawer at her desk. No one knows she carries, but all know she loves to shoot.

Find a holster that is comfortable and carry. ;)

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
If it's a place I have to keep it hidden, I carry (XDSC) in a desantis tuck this.

If I'm wearing a jacket & tie, I can carry pretty much anything. I often carry a 2" S&W 327PC in a speed scabbard under a jacket. I can even use a paddle holster (serpa) under a jacket.

The tuck this works because it shows very little of the clip, especially if you're wearing black dress pants.

A lot of concealment has to do with your body shape as well. I have more shoulders and chest (not huge, just wider), and a rather small (32") waist, so I can conceal a lot more gun than someone with narrow shoulders and larger hips.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I could conceal carry while at work I would absolutely do so. I wouldn't even bother to disarm once I got to my office. I would not take off my gun until I got home, and then it would only be while I changed into a more comfortable OWB holster.

Having a good, tuckable IWB holster like a Kholster or Crossbreed really does make things so much easier. Also, with a gun as large as an XDm 40 a real gunbelt is essential. Blackhawk has Plain Brown and Lizard Black Leather CQC Pistol Belts on sale for $15 right now. At that price I would get one of each.

There are alternative concealment methods like belly bands and concealment shirts, but I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Most work enviroments frown on CCW so leaving it in the car is obvious but unless I can see my car, I hate that. Start carrying a briefcase or togo bag, leave it in there & just don't tell anyone.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I carry my XD9 in a Comp-Tac MTAC at work pretty much everyday. I'd carry every day but not all my pants allow the IWB holster. I wear anything from short sleeve button ups to sweat shirts. As far as I know, no one has made me yet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i too cant carry to work:sad: but i dont feel any need to. when i was a delivery guy i know a lot of people i worked with cc'd. we had a few conversations with the management; they encouraged us to have something to defend ourselves if something was to happen.

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
I carry my TCP in a in pocket holster. It's on my person 24/7 except for times where the law might frown upon (court house, and police station are the two big ones). I carry my XD in a Kholster when I feel the need for more firepower....

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most work enviroments frown on CCW so leaving it in the car is obvious but unless I can see my car, I hate that. Start carrying a briefcase or togo bag, leave it in there & just don't tell anyone.
Yeah right now I carry a backpack into work, lot of other people have bags etc. I'm just wondering how. Right now it's in the big black XDm case with all the accessories.

My question is: What is the best way to have it stored if not on my person? Should I have it in the holster that came with the gun, have the IWB holster in the backpack with the gun in it? How about in my center console? In the holster that came with the gun?

I mean, I assume it would be better to have in a holster so the trigger is protected while in a backpack or the console that has other things in there with them. I guess the only drawback would have to be grabbing the holster with my left hand and then drawing the gun out

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Personally, I would never conceal carry in a bag, or backpack, or brief case. If I were female, I'd not carry in a purse either. Too easy to leave it somewhere (like in a restroom), the gun might fall out, or someone might steal it, or some other mishap.

When I conceal carry, it is only with the gun on my belt. Usually IWB, in a DeSantis "Tuck This 2". I want to be able to feel the gun, and know it is safe, at all times.

Having said that ... If you must carry in a backpack, and if your gun has a grip safety, definitely keep it in a holster with a trigger guard. Not a bad idea to have it holstered if it has a thumb safety, too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ron, you are still having this search and I feel it.. I was there.

Before I carried IWB, used this organizer:

No one had any idea I had 5lbs worth of guns and ammo with me at all times. Even in board meetings. You never when the crazy people show up so I had it with me at all times. From the grocery store and the mall to everyday work.

We had a name for the bag at home, the kids would call it the "Organizational Crisis Resolver" and would always want to carry it to the car for me since I was going out somewhere and it was coming with!

It cost me about $50 and I used it for a good 5-6 months before finally getting an IWB holster and being happy.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally, I would never conceal carry in a bag, or backpack, or brief case. If I were female, I'd not carry in a purse either. Too easy to leave it somewhere (like in a restroom), the gun might fall out, or someone might steal it, or some other mishap.

When I conceal carry, it is only with the gun on my belt. Usually IWB, in a DeSantis "Tuck This 2". I want to be able to feel the gun, and know it is safe, at all times.

Having said that ... If you must carry in a backpack, and if your gun has a grip safety, definitely keep it in a holster with a trigger guard. Not a bad idea to have it holstered if it has a thumb safety, too.

Yeah I hear you on that man and I agree. I see you were in the Corps too, so just like me, I can guarantee I will not forget this backpack anywhere. It's like you NEVER "forgot" about your rifle. I just don't like putting the big laptop style case in my backpack. Also, if I ever needed it it would be a pain opening the backpack, then unlacthing the case, racking the slide and thwen using it.

I don't keep a round in the chamber while in the case because it would be too easy to accidentally grab the trigger and possibly grip safety at the same time while getting it out of the palstic case and the foam insert. I guess for the time being, I'll use the XDm gear case that came with it.

Ron, you are still having this search and I feel it.. I was there.

Before I carried IWB, used this organizer:

No one had any idea I had 5lbs worth of guns and ammo with me at all times. Even in board meetings. You never when the crazy people show up so I had it with me at all times. From the grocery store and the mall to everyday work.

We had a name for the bag at home, the kids would call it the "Organizational Crisis Resolver" and would always want to carry it to the car for me since I was going out somewhere and it was coming with!

It cost me about $50 and I used it for a good 5-6 months before finally getting an IWB holster and being happy.

That's pretty neat man, I laughed at the "Organizational Crisis Resolver" too.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
What kind of clothing do you wear at work?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm in a suit or shirt/tie or jeans/polo most of the time at work, and I have zero problems concealing in a Crossbreed Supertuck. On the occasions where I simply cannot carry on-body (athletic clothing), I have a Maxpedition gearslinger with a velcro CCW holster that I transfer my XD40SC to and either keep it on me or secure it in a locker. This system works pretty well for me.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Oops, I meant to add that I think there are tons of better options for you than toting your xd around in its case. This seems like the slowest way to get to it; I'd go with at least some sort of bag/holster combo while you figure out the best way to keep it on body. That velcro holster I have works fantastic for those times when I just can't physically carry on my person. You can see what I'm talking about at the Maxpedition site.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oops, I meant to add that I think there are tons of better options for you than toting your xd around in its case. This seems like the slowest way to get to it; I'd go with at least some sort of bag/holster combo while you figure out the best way to keep it on body. That velcro holster I have works fantastic for those times when I just can't physically carry on my person. You can see what I'm talking about at the Maxpedition site.

yeah, I will check that out for sure. Thanks.

Got a new general manager from Canada and and I think he is afraid of guns.

·
Registered
353 Posts
yeah, I will check that out for sure. Thanks.

Got a new general manager from Canada and and I think he is afraid of guns.

Team building exercise time! Head to the range with him!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think that anyway you slice it, carrying an xdm concealed in a non permisive evironment is going to be tough. I would personally bellyband a tiny nine, or baby 380 on me and exept that trade off in firepower as you will at least have a gun ON you if/when you need it.

Anyway that you decide to carry practice drawing it from concealment. I can barely beat 2 seconds from iwb with a shirt tucked in over it. I would hate to time myself digging through a bag, flipping latches to open a box, and then racking the slide. The majority of gunfights are close range, within 7 yards, fast paced, under 3 seconds, and require less than 5 rds. If you have the desire, and ability to carry the xdm (are willing to be fired for carrying a full sized fighting gun?) go for it. I just believe that by making a couple of sacrifices in caliber and capacity, you stand a better chance of flying under the radar. Just my 2 cents, and I wish you the best of luck however you decide to carry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts