Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Ga, walk at a Gwinnett park. As I understand from reading the law with my permit I can carry in the park. The park signs say NO WEAPONS? Is is illeagl?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Go to www.georgiapacking.org and read up on the rules. I think this is one of those "gray" areas, but I think you're right in that you can carry as a permit holder.

I also walk in Gwinnett parks weekly with the kids and have not noticed any signs.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm wondering if this isn't old signage...I'm under the impression that recent wording of our carry laws specify that local ordinances cannot be more restrictive than state law.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I am going to call the park, ask and if they say no I will ask a lawyer and challange.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'd be interested in their answer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hopefully the sign is to keep you safe from criminals who might want to illegally carry in the park. Seeing the sign, however, should let them know that criminal activity will not be allowed and they will move on. :twisted:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully the sign is to keep you safe from criminals who might want to illegally carry in the park. Seeing the sign, however, should let them know that criminal activity will not be allowed and they will move on. :twisted:
Thats hilarous, I called and asked to speaak with some one about this, and I was instructed to call back Monday, someone with a little education will be there then.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Wow, I did not know I was surrounded by you guys from Ga, and more specific Gwinnett Co.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Here you go, Mike. This comes from the GeorgiaCarry.org website, an organization to which I belong and recommend for anyone concerned about preserving and expanding your Second Amendment rights.

Q: Can I carry in a city or county park?
A:
Yes! GeorgiaCarry.Org fought battles with several cities and counties over this issue, and has been victorious each time. State law preempts local ordinances on this issue.

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news » Frequently Asked Questions

I'd still like to hear the response from the locals when you ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts